NIS setup

Post by H.C. Jako » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi !
I am new to NetBSD, but i have some unix knewledge on HPUX
, Linux and Solaris. I tried to connect a new NetBSD host to
the network. It works fine. Then i tried to setup NIS.
ypbind connects to the server and "ypcat passwd" shows me
the right passwd map, but i was not able to login with a nis account.
I tried to add "+:*:0:0:::" to passwd, master.passwd and "+:*:0:0:" to
group, but it did not work.

What did i do wrong ?

------------=== Heiko Jakob ===------------

          "Natural born UNIX-user"
---== Member of the $ev3n 1o$ GeDiGo$ ==---

NIS setup

Post by Manuel Bouy » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi !
> I am new to NetBSD, but i have some unix knewledge on HPUX
> , Linux and Solaris. I tried to connect a new NetBSD host to
> the network. It works fine. Then i tried to setup NIS.
> ypbind connects to the server and "ypcat passwd" shows me
> the right passwd map, but i was not able to login with a nis account.
> I tried to add "+:*:0:0:::" to passwd, master.passwd and "+:*:0:0:" to
> group, but it did not work.

The system doesn't use the files /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd,
it uses a binary hash table of the passwd entries. /etc/master.passwd
is used as a source to rebuild this hash table; /etc/passwd is just
informationnal, and is built from master.passwd too.
To rebuild the hash tables from /etc/master.passwd, use
'pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd'. Alternatively you can (should :) use
vipw to edit the passwd file; it will take care of files lock and
rebuild the hash table automatically before exiting.

Btw, the entries you added to master.passwd and groups are wrong.
You need +:::::0:0::: for passwd and +:::: for groups. With
+:*:0:0: in your group file, everybody will be in wheel. I fear that with
+:*:0:0: in master.passwd, everybody will have uid 0 !

NIS setup

Post by Hubert Feyre » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> ypbind connects to the server and "ypcat passwd" shows me
> the right passwd map, but i was not able to login with a nis account.
> I tried to add "+:*:0:0:::" to passwd, master.passwd and "+:*:0:0:" to
> group, but it did not work.

> What did i do wrong ?

If the format in master.passwd (vipw!) is really exactly as shown,
it's wrong. clone an existing line, and make it look like

+:*::::::::: <- be sure to get the right ammount of : here, i type
                this ouf of my head and this will NOT work for
                cut&paste.

 - Hubert

--

NIS setup

Post by Tobias Bro » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> If the format in master.passwd (vipw!) is really exactly as shown,
> it's wrong. clone an existing line, and make it look like

> +:*::::::::: <- be sure to get the right ammount of : here, i type
>                 this ouf of my head and this will NOT work for
>                 cut&paste.

# tail -1 /etc/master.passwd
+:*::::0:0:::

...and it seems to work here...

--
TobiX                   In a world without fences, who needs gates?
http://www.td.org.uit.no/~tobias/

1. NIS or NIS + setup

Hi ALL,

      I wonder if NIS+ development on Linux is realy stopped. And if
someone out there has any clue to give me about athoner software
that could substitute NIS/NIS+ function.
      Thanks a lot.

Sandra

2. PPP & Network Connection

3. NIS setup question

4. Texel / Plextor CD-ROMs

5. NIS setup problem

6. cextract and linux

7. NIS setup

8. ATA 100 controler ?

9. NIS setup problem on Solaris 2.6 5/98

10. NIS + setup

11. NIS setup

12. NIS setup - need source code for yppasswdd

13. NIS Setup Help: "Can't bind to server which serves this domain"