NetBSD/amiga Installation problems

Post by Daniel Frankli » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I just attempted to install NetBSD/Amiga from the Amiga Format CD (AFCD19) It is version 1.2.1

I have partitioned my drive, and copied the miniroot filesystem to the swap partition, and I can susessfully start NetBSD by using the loadbsd bootstrap utility.  When it asked for the root device I typed in sd0* which corresponds to my internal IDE hard drive, and then the install program started.  The program then sayd 'scanning for root device...' and thats about as far as it gets.  The hard drive accesses a bit but nothing comes up on the screen.

The machine does not crash, because you can still break out of the program, but the install script freezes.

Can anyone help with this problem?

My system is an Amiga A1200 with a GVP 68030 and 68882 (both at 50Mhz) 8Mb of GVP Fast RAM, a Quantum Fireball 2.1Gb HDD and an 8 speed ATAPI CD-ROM drive.  The OS is Workbench 3.0.

One strange thing that happens is that the system picks up the SCSI bus on the GVP board (A1230 Turbo+ Series 2) and interrogates it for devices, despite the fact that no SCSI controller exists.  I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Reguards,

Daniel Franklin.

NetBSD/amiga Installation problems

Post by Jamie Kei » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi.

Perhaps you could double-check the dostypes on your NetBSD partitions?
They should have been set in HDToolBox under 'Custom Filesystem' when
you partitioned the drive. It sounds like the ID for the root partition
could be wrong.

ISTR something about having to have one of the partitions in the first
512 MB of the disk with certain versions of NetBSD and/or loadbsd -
although this is from memory (ie probably inaccurate) and I only scanned
that document. Worth looking up though.

Hope this helps

Jamie Keir

NetBSD/amiga Installation problems

Post by Stuart Monteit » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I don't know what others have found, but many of the files for NetBSD 1.2
on that CD were corrupt, gnutar refused to extract the files beyond a
certain point. It turned out that even the kernel was corrupt, so I don't
use it for obvious reasons.

Has anyone else experienced this? This could explain why Daniel here is
experiencing this problem.

Quote:> I just attempted to install NetBSD/Amiga from the Amiga Format CD

(AFCD19) It is version 1.2.1
Quote:

> I have partitioned my drive, and copied the miniroot filesystem to the

swap partition, and I can susessfully start NetBSD by using the loadbsd
bootstrap utility.  When it asked for the root device I typed in sd0* which
corresponds to my internal IDE hard drive, and then the install program
started.  The program then sayd 'scanning for root device...' and thats
about as far as it gets.  The hard drive accesses a bit but nothing comes
up on the screen.
Quote:

> The machine does not crash, because you can still break out of the

program, but the install script freezes.
Quote:

> Can anyone help with this problem?

> My system is an Amiga A1200 with a GVP 68030 and 68882 (both at 50Mhz)

8Mb of GVP Fast RAM, a Quantum Fireball 2.1Gb HDD and an 8 speed ATAPI
CD-ROM drive.  The OS is Workbench 3.0.
Quote:

> One strange thing that happens is that the system picks up the SCSI bus

on the GVP board (A1230 Turbo+ Series 2) and interrogates it for devices,
despite the fact that no SCSI controller exists.  I wonder if this has
something to do with it.
Quote:

> Reguards,

> Daniel Franklin.

NetBSD/amiga Installation problems

Post by Philip Clar » Fri, 26 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't know what others have found, but many of the files for NetBSD 1.2
>on that CD were corrupt, gnutar refused to extract the files beyond a
>certain point. It turned out that even the kernel was corrupt, so I don't
>use it for obvious reasons.
>Has anyone else experienced this? This could explain why Daniel here is
>experiencing this problem.

I posted about this a little while back but I guess people don't show up
here until they start having problems. I think the defective parts were
base121.do, man121.ac and misc121.ah. As a rough guide, all parts exceept
the last in each section should be the same size (81920 bytes).

Yes, the included kernel file was not the same size as the official
GENERIC one. It worked OK on my machine but your mileage may vary. I ftp'd
an official one just in case. I can also see things on my Blizzard SCSI
expansion that I cannot use, I think it may be comming in 1.3 (wadaya mean,
your _still_ beta testing). It may be an indication that support is work in
progress (fingers crossed).

TTFN

--
      o     Philip Clark at home in (Sunny?) Scotland
     /  <|  M68040/40 A1200, OS3.1 and NetBSD 1.21, 18M/4.5G

--
A word once sent abroad flies irrevocably.

1. NetBSD/Amiga -1.4.2 problem with HP T20

Anyone know of a fix for this problem ?

HP SureStore T20 drive is correctly recognised during
boot and appears to be configured as st0. Attempts to use it, however,
result in repeated :

SENSE KEY: Aborted Command
ASC/ASCQ Message Error
st0(ahsc0:4:0) Check condition on CDB: 0x00  00 00 00 00 00

messages. The tape does not activate and cannot be read, written
or controlled.

I've tried setting the loadbsd -I flag to ff with no success.

I don't think it's a LUN-related problem since the drive only appears once in
the dev list, but I'm open to suggestions.

--
        _________          | Angus M. Marshall BSc(Hons) AMBCS FRSA,
       |         |         | University of Hull Centre for Internet Computing,
 ___  _|____=___ |_  ___   | University College Scarborough
/   \(_)         (_)/   \  | Filey Rd., Scarborough YO11 3AZ
|`-'|o|  _______  |o|`-'|  | Vox: (+44) 1732 362392 Fax: (+44) 1732 370815
|   |/| (_______) |\|   |  | http://cic.ucscarb.ac.uk/
|___|--\_________/--|___|  |           "Real coffee, real cars, real FUN!"

2. Trident 9440 drivers??

3. NetBSD Amiga 1.1 Install Problems

4. g++ 2.6.3 destructors and exit()

5. NetBSD-Amiga-1.0A X problem

6. Understanding select...

7. IP-Nat on NetBSD Amiga

8. NIS security && shadow

9. Help with NetBSD Amiga

10. Ring Buffer Overrun in NetBSD 1.3.1 Amiga

11. NetBSD/amiga: Blizzard IV bombing out.

12. NetBSD Amiga, Wrong group to su root?

13. Need Help: Amiga NETBSD