NetBSD on RM200?

Post by Michael Gruetzne » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:04:12

Hello,

does anyone have any experience with NetBSD on a SNI RM200? Actually I
wanted to put Linux on it but it seems very difficult so I thought about
NetBSD because it supports so many plattforms. But I'm quite new to
NetBSD and I need a little help. It would be really cool if this would work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

NetBSD on RM200?

Post by Michael Enge » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:18:36

Hi,

> does anyone have any experience with NetBSD on a SNI RM200? Actually I
> wanted to put Linux on it but it seems very difficult

It _is_ difficult as there are no current Linux kernels supporting
that machine AFAIK.

Quote:> so I thought about
> NetBSD because it supports so many plattforms. But I'm quite new to
> NetBSD and I need a little help. It would be really cool if this would work.

No port exists so far, but I've just started thinking about a NetBSD
port to RM200/400 and just managed to build mips big endian cross
compilers on my OS X machine (works fine, great!). That will make
cross compiling quite a bit faster than on my 233 MHz Multia Alpha ;-).

What kind of RM200 do you own (ISA/VLB or a PCI-based RM200C)?

regards,
        Michael
--

Philipps-Universit?t Marburg  - FB Mathematik und Informatik
Hans-Meerwein-Str.            - 35032 Marburg

NetBSD on RM200?

Post by Michael Gruetzne » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:05:26

> Hi,

>>does anyone have any experience with NetBSD on a SNI RM200? Actually I
>>wanted to put Linux on it but it seems very difficult

> It _is_ difficult as there are no current Linux kernels supporting
> that machine AFAIK.

>>so I thought about
>>NetBSD because it supports so many plattforms. But I'm quite new to
>>NetBSD and I need a little help. It would be really cool if this would work.

> No port exists so far, but I've just started thinking about a NetBSD
> port to RM200/400 and just managed to build mips big endian cross
> compilers on my OS X machine (works fine, great!). That will make
> cross compiling quite a bit faster than on my 233 MHz Multia Alpha ;-).

> What kind of RM200 do you own (ISA/VLB or a PCI-based RM200C)?

It's an ISA/VLB Version. I already have set up a mips crosscompiler. I
used to compile linux kernel with it but I'm unable to boot the kernel
on my RM200. I hope I will have better luck with NetBSD.

Michael

Quote:> regards,
>    Michael

NetBSD on RM200?

Post by Michael Enge » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:06:24

> It's an ISA/VLB Version. I already have set up a mips crosscompiler. I
> used to compile linux kernel with it but I'm unable to boot the kernel
> on my RM200.

This may simply be due to the fact that you have the wrong firmware
installed - there are two different firmwares, one for Sinix/Reliant
Unix which operates the machine in big endian mode and one for NT
which runs little endian. The existing Linux port requires the little
endian (ARC) NT console firmware.

Quote:> I hope I will have better luck with NetBSD.

At the moment definitely not.

regards,
        Michael
--

Post by Michael Gruetzne » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:58:49

>>It's an ISA/VLB Version. I already have set up a mips crosscompiler. I
>>used to compile linux kernel with it but I'm unable to boot the kernel
>>on my RM200.

> This may simply be due to the fact that you have the wrong firmware
> installed - there are two different firmwares, one for Sinix/Reliant
> Unix which operates the machine in big endian mode and one for NT
> which runs little endian. The existing Linux port requires the little
> endian (ARC) NT console firmware.

I've tried both, Sinix and ARC firmware. It seems that the kernel is not
in an executeable format.

MfG
Michael

NetBSD on RM200?

Post by Michael Enge » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:29:22

> I've tried both, Sinix and ARC firmware. It seems that the kernel is not
> in an executeable format.

The kernel itself can't be booted by the ARC firmware - you need to boot
milo.exe which in turn loads the kernel. Note that you definitely need
milo 0.27.1 on a RM200.

regards,
        Michael
--

Post by Michael Gruetzne » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:16:15

>>I've tried both, Sinix and ARC firmware. It seems that the kernel is not
>>in an executeable format.

> The kernel itself can't be booted by the ARC firmware - you need to boot
> milo.exe which in turn loads the kernel. Note that you definitely need
> milo 0.27.1 on a RM200.

I'm not sure wich version of milo I uesd. I downloaded a binary from
linux-mips.org. It was in a directory with some RM200 stuff so I guess
it was the right version(milo works on my RM200 but the kernel it tries
to load does not).

MfG
Michael

NetBSD on RM200?

Post by Michael Enge » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:20:35

> I'm not sure wich version of milo I uesd. I downloaded a binary from
> linux-mips.org. It was in a directory with some RM200 stuff so I guess
> it was the right version(milo works on my RM200 but the kernel it tries
> to load does not).

OK, if milo boots then it's most probably the correct version. I don't
habe a working Linux kernel around any more (I'd have to dig in my
backup files) but the last working version of the RM200 kernel I built
still required a NE2000 ethernet card and ISA IDE controller in the
ISA slots IIRC (i.e. onboard ethernet and SCSI weren't supported. I'm
not sure if I got onboard ethernet running - that's 5 years ago...).

regards,
        Michael
--

Post by Michael Gruetzne » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:40:55

>>I'm not sure wich version of milo I uesd. I downloaded a binary from
>>linux-mips.org. It was in a directory with some RM200 stuff so I guess
>>it was the right version(milo works on my RM200 but the kernel it tries
>>to load does not).

> OK, if milo boots then it's most probably the correct version. I don't
> habe a working Linux kernel around any more (I'd have to dig in my
> backup files) but the last working version of the RM200 kernel I built
> still required a NE2000 ethernet card and ISA IDE controller in the
> ISA slots IIRC (i.e. onboard ethernet and SCSI weren't supported. I'm
> not sure if I got onboard ethernet running - that's 5 years ago...).

Can you remember what kernel version it was? I tried 2.4.19 but I didn't
manage to get it small enough for a floppy and remote boot seems not to
be supported by the ARC firmware. Do you think it would be possible to
boot a cross compiled linux kernel with the Sinix firmware? I thought
about compiling a linux kernel with sinix(gcc or siemens cc) but I'm not
sure if this would work.

MfG
Michael