problems after upgrading firmware

Post by Igor Sobrad » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:53:19

Hi!

Some days ago I upgraded the firmware on my Dell Latitude CPi R400GT
to the latest release (upgraded from A08 to A14).  Now I see an odd
behaviour on this machine.  It looks like the most recent firmware
release does not works as expected (but it fixes some important
issues related with the laptop's battery!).  Two examples:

  1.  when I go to the Setup program from NetBSD (Fn+F1) and return
      to the operating system, the font size on the console change
      to big fonts (I need to press *two times* Fn+F7 to restore
      the normal font size); and,

  2.  sound is incredibly high before going to the Setup program,
      even if it has been configured to a low volume (and Fn with
      either Page Up or Page Dn does not works).  After running
      the Setup program and returning to the operating system all
      goes well (but I need to press Fn+F7 to restore the font size).

Those problems never happened with firmware release A08.

Can those issues be solved from NetBSD?  Will Dell Computer Corporation
release a new firmware addressing those issues?  I suppose that this
machine will be EOL'd soon, it is a great computer but it is some
years old now.

Cheers,
Igor.

--

problems after upgrading firmware

Post by Fredric » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:10:42

<snip issues>

Quote:> Those problems never happened with firmware release A08.

> Can those issues be solved from NetBSD?  Will Dell Computer Corporation
> release a new firmware addressing those issues?  I suppose that this
> machine will be EOL'd soon, it is a great computer but it is some
> years old now.

The CPiR went end of life some time ago, about the middle of 2000 IIRC. If
a BIOS update causes new problems, I'm certain they'll come up with another
update to address them. Of course I'm in no position to make promises on
their behalf :-)

problems after upgrading firmware

Post by Igor Sobrad » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:45:43

Quote:> The CPiR went end of life some time ago, about the middle of 2000 IIRC. If
> a BIOS update causes new problems, I'm certain they'll come up with another
> update to address them. Of course I'm in no position to make promises on
> their behalf :-)

That is what I believed, Dell maintained the firmware on this machine
three years (from mid-1999 up to mid-2002) but there are not new firmware
upgrades on ftp://ftp.dell.com/.

I really hope you are right about new firmware upgrades.  It is good
to see that Dell not only maintains high quality hardware but software
(e.g., firmware) too.  That is the reason I got this machine and I will
buy new hardware to Dell.

On the other hand, I am not sure about the firmware behaviour on
MS Windows, I do not have any MSFT software on my machines.  But I believe
that it does not work as expected on NetBSD.  Another example: after going
to suspend mode (Fn+Esc) and turning on again the machine I need to run
the setup program again (Fn+F1) to make changes available (like a low
volume "beep").  In short, it looks like the setup program needs to be
run each time the machine is turned on to make changes available.

Cheers,
Igor.

--

problems after upgrading firmware

Post by Fredric » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:43:44

Quote:> I need to run the setup program again (Fn+F1) to make changes
> available (like a low volume "beep").  In short, it looks like the
> setup program needs to be run each time the machine is turned on to
> make changes available.

That might be a problem with the BIOS battery on the system. It might be
worth trying to flash the BIOS again as well. good luck.

problems after upgrading firmware

Post by Igor Sobrad » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:11:35

Quote:> That might be a problem with the BIOS battery on the system. It might be
> worth trying to flash the BIOS again as well. good luck.

You are absolutely right about the BIOS battery issue.  When the laptop
arrived, the BIOS battery was discharged (e.g., the machine was unable
to store the current date when it was turned off).  Now, the BIOS
battery is working again.

I will follow your advice about flashing the BIOS again, but I will wait
until a new external battery arrives.  The external battery is dead, and
I do not want to force a new BIOS upgrade without that battery.  A power
outage can seriously damage a computer if it happens when a new BIOS is
being flashed.  I will buy a new battery from Dell, it is not an expensive
item.

Dell did the right thing when requiring both the external power supply
and the external battery to be working before allowing a firmware upgrade
on laptops.

Thanks a lot for that advice,
Igor.

--

1. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

Since I did the Y2K patch for Solaris 2.5 on a Ultra Sparc 1 system,
Informix 7.22 refuses to startup properly.
Anyone experienced a simular problem? Any suggestions?
Attached some system information and the relevant part of the online.log

Has van der Krieken.

# uname -a
SunOS sungemms 5.5 Generic_103093-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
# su - informix
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.5       Generic November 1995
$ onstat -V
INFORMIX-OnLine Version 7.22.UC2   Software Serial Number AAA#J917741
$ cat online.log

Mon Dec 27 16:09:48 1999

16:09:48  Event alarms enabled.  ALARMPROG = '/informix/etc/no_log.sh'
16:09:48  DR: DRAUTO is 0 (Off)
16:09:49  INFORMIX-OnLine Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
16:09:49  Logical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  shmget: [ENOMEM][12]: key 52574804: out of shared memory, check
system
 SHMALL
16:09:49  out of virtual shared memory

16:09:49  Assert Failed: Internal Error - Segmentation Violation

                Thread(13, bld_logrecs, d039530, 1)
16:09:49   Results: OnLine must abort
16:09:49   Action: Reinitialize shared memory
16:09:49   See Also: /var/tmp/af.d813d
16:09:49  rsinit.c, line 9932, thread 13, proc id 20737, Segmentation
Violation.
16:09:49    PANIC: Attempting to bring system down

2. UNIX sector/file location

3. firmware upgrade problem on Dec AlphaStation 200

4. browse linux pc (with samba installed) from DOS pc

5. Firmware Upgrade Problem

6. Win2000 + Red Hat Linux

7. Ibm Rs6000 Model140 P43 firmware upgrade problem

8. RedHat 6.0, /dev/pts permissions bug when using xterm

9. Kernel and Open Firmware problems with my G3 upgrade card

10. Random abuse( was RE:Kernel and Open Firmware problems with my G3 upgrade card)

11. Potential problem with Firmware upgrade on F50

12. Firmware Upgrade

13. Alphabios-SRM firmware upgrade - no display PC164LX