Weird problem running pppd and chat.

Post by Mr. Christian Wils » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm running NetBSD 1.1 on a Pentium based machine. I'm experiencing
difficulties however, with configuring and running pppd and chat. If
anyone has any ideas then I'd really appreciate it.

The thing is that I am almost 100% certain that I haven't done any
*oos. The modem sits on /dev/tty01, and when I try and run pppd, the
DTR light of the modem goes on, yet no actual data seems to get sent.

Earlier, I was unable to even run "stty -a < /dev/tty01", until a person
on IRC suggested that I put the following line in my /etc/ttys:

tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  unknown off secure local

I can now do this, but it still doesn't seem to help my problem.

I have also typed stty speed 38400 < /dev/tty01, but whenever I type
stty < /dev/tty01, I still get 9600.

Minicom runs fine with no problems whatsoever, so I do not believe it to
be a modem related problem.

Here is the line that I use to call pppd:

/usr/sbin/pppd connect 'chat -v -f /home/wally/ppp/chatscript -r /home/wally/ppp/report' /dev/tty01 57600 -d mru 296 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx escape 17,19 netmask 255.255.255.0 proxyarp modem crtscts -detach

And here is my chatscript:

ATZ\r OK
ATDTXXXXXXXXX CONNECT
TIMEOUT 10 ogin:--ogin: ppp
TIMEOUT 5 assword: XXXXXXXXX

[The X's have been used to blank out semi important information.].

Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated. I have successfully
dropped a getty onto the line as well with no problems, and while
dialled into the line I can run pppd successfully. The problem seems to
me to be really bizarre, and really confusing.

Thanks.
Christian.
--
Christian Wilson, Monash University.
Ph: (03) 9550 1383 (BH-Sometimes), (03) 9543 1991 (AH).

1. Weird chat invocation with pppd

Before you followup, I'd just like to say I DON'T want to use user-mode
PPP for many reasons I don't want to go into. ;)

My question is this:

I'm setting up pppd (on 2.2-GAMMA) to use chat to dial.  On Linux this
/etc/ppp/options file worked:

/dev/modem 115200 yadda yadda connect "chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript" yadda yadda

Now, however, I notice that chat is invoked like this (by looking at the
process list):

        chat /etc/ppp/chatscript

Where did my -v and -f flags go?  -v is REALLY nice for troubleshooting chat
problems.  It still *works*, but...

--

 http://www2.gvsu.edu/~behrensm/          | advertisements sent to these

 http://www.iserv.net/~zigg/              | fee, pursuant to US Code Title
 Custom PC's - Consulting - Web Design    | 47, Sec. 227(b)(3)(C).

2. Evans & Sutherland Video

3. pppd & chat - chat not talking to serial port

4. MACH64 SOLUTION

5. Chat: return value when run from pppd

6. 4gl for Linux?

7. pppd problem, well actually chat problem

8. Which is the fastest FTP program around ?

9. pppd & chat problems

10. Help, pppd/chat problem

11. Problem getting chat to display output under pppd

12. Problem to Connect my ISP with pppd and chat

13. chat/pppd connection problems