pmax NetBSD 1.4 ftpd problem

Post by John Gallagh » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

This one has me stumped, I've checked all the faq's and docs I have
access to and have found nothing that could help me, so I'm bringing
it here in hopes someone can see what, if anything, I'm missing.

System : DECstation 3100 running the current stable release
         (NetBSD 1.4 pmax) from the www.netbsd.org site.

Problem: The ftpd that comes with the distribution acts funny.
         I set up anonymous ftp and that works fine.  Real users
         ftping in, however, get different results depending on the
         kind of machine they ftp in _from_.  People coming in
         from solaris machines get seemingly normal behavior and
         can ls their home directories remotely.  People coming
         in from other machines (I've tested freebsd, windoze,
         and mac ftp clients) can connect, but when they try
         to ls their directories, they get this message:

         ftp> ls
         200 PORT command successful.
         150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
         226- Command returned an exit status of 1
         226 Transfer complete.

As I said, I'm stumped.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I may
have done wrong?

jcg

pmax NetBSD 1.4 ftpd problem

Post by Manuel Bouy » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> This one has me stumped, I've checked all the faq's and docs I have
> access to and have found nothing that could help me, so I'm bringing
> it here in hopes someone can see what, if anything, I'm missing.

> System : DECstation 3100 running the current stable release
>          (NetBSD 1.4 pmax) from the www.netbsd.org site.

> Problem: The ftpd that comes with the distribution acts funny.
>          I set up anonymous ftp and that works fine.  Real users
>          ftping in, however, get different results depending on the
>          kind of machine they ftp in _from_.  People coming in
>          from solaris machines get seemingly normal behavior and
>          can ls their home directories remotely.  People coming
>          in from other machines (I've tested freebsd, windoze,
>          and mac ftp clients) can connect, but when they try
>          to ls their directories, they get this message:

>          ftp> ls
>          200 PORT command successful.
>          150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
>          226- Command returned an exit status of 1
>          226 Transfer complete.

> As I said, I'm stumped.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I may
> have done wrong?

Did you try to do an ftp from a solaris machine for the same user ?
Maybe it's just a permissions problem (home directory not readable or
something like that). What happens if you log in as this user and type
/bin/ls ?