Strange behaviour of newfs, NetBSD-1.4.1 on amiga

Strange behaviour of newfs, NetBSD-1.4.1 on amiga

Post by Jan Andr » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm not a BSD newbie, but this problem is really getting me stuck:

I have an Amiga 1200 with 68EC030 (I think it is EC, with MMU but no
FPU) and 16 MB of RAM on a Blizzard 1230-IV card, and a harddisk at
the internal IDE controller.

I've set up the RDB disklabel with HDToolBox under AmigaOS, and in the
current configuration, an OpenBSD installation works just fine. The
disklabel looks like this:

Partition DH0,  size ~ 80Megs, AmigaOS partition
Partition BSD0, size ~800Megs, Net/OpenBSD filesystem
Partition BSD1, size ~120Megs, Net/OpenBSD swap

Now I tried to install NetBSD-1.4.1 on the machine. I put all the
binary sets I wanted to install in a directory on a small AmigaOS
partition, dd'ed the miniroot to the swap partition and made the
kernel boot it.

The installation script lets me well configure the root and swap
partition, but when it comes to actually creating the filesystem on
the big partition (BSD0), I get the following messages from newfs:

---
/dev/rsd0a: 1687392 sectors in 1674 cylinders of 16 tracks, 63 sectors
uid0 on /: file system full

/: write failed, file system is full
Illegal instruction
---

After that, the installation script continues as if newfs had worked,
but of course crashes when it tries to mount the file system.

"/" would normally refer to the miniroot filesystem in this
environment, but I looked after the failure and there were still about
700k free.

The "Illegal instruction" makes me believe newfs has accidently been
compiled with 68040 optimizations so it won't run my machine. The
floating point emulation is enabled as I see from /kern/msgbuf.

I also tried the miniroot of 1.4, but with exactly the same error.

So I'm absolutely clueless now, and I'd appreciate any help about
this. Thanks in advance.

--

             "Bell Labs Unix -- reach out and grep someone."

Strange behaviour of newfs, NetBSD-1.4.1 on amiga

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> /dev/rsd0a: 1687392 sectors in 1674 cylinders of 16 tracks, 63 sectors
> uid0 on /: file system full

> /: write failed, file system is full
> Illegal instruction
> ---

> After that, the installation script continues as if newfs had worked,
> but of course crashes when it tries to mount the file system.

> "/" would normally refer to the miniroot filesystem in this
> environment, but I looked after the failure and there were still about
> 700k free.

> The "Illegal instruction" makes me believe newfs has accidently been
> compiled with 68040 optimizations so it won't run my machine. The
> floating point emulation is enabled as I see from /kern/msgbuf.

Perhaps the "Illegal instruction" error is misleading. This looks
very similar the error that once occurred on i386-1.3.3,
<http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=6211>,
where the floating point thing would not apply.  IIRC, the solution
there was to increase the number of inodes on the install disk by
adding an "-i ${INO_BYTES}" to the "newfs" command line for making
the ramdisk, but, unfortunately, that solution is not documented
--the bug's still open.

I'm going to cc this to port-amiga; maybe there's someone
there who can experiment with building a working miniroot for you,
or suggest alternatives.

Strange behaviour of newfs, NetBSD-1.4.1 on amiga

Post by Ignatios Souvatz » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have an Amiga 1200 with 68EC030 (I think it is EC, with MMU but no
> FPU) and 16 MB of RAM on a Blizzard 1230-IV card, and a harddisk at
> the internal IDE controller.

Hm, make sure it is NOT the EC030 (which has no MMU at all).

Actually, given that you are inside the installer, I don't believe this :-)

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of

Post by Jan Andr » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

| > I have an Amiga 1200 with 68EC030 (I think it is EC, with MMU but no
| > FPU) and 16 MB of RAM on a Blizzard 1230-IV card, and a harddisk at
| > the internal IDE controller.
|
| Hm, make sure it is NOT the EC030 (which has no MMU at all).
|
| Actually, given that you are inside the installer, I don't believe this :-)

Indeed. The kernel would not even boot if it had no MMU, would it?
Besides, I can run OpenBSD without any problems.

By the way, our company's newsfeed will be down during the next days
because of a backbone change. I'd be glad if you could Cc any future

--

             "Bell Labs Unix -- reach out and grep someone."

1. Any help on the Zope package for NetBSD-1.4.1

HI all

I am new to NetBSD having used Linux for the last two years.  I thought that
I would give NetBSD a go, and I have to say I like it.  Particularly I like
the way that the packages are made etc.  WIth Linux I have a lot of problem
getting cirtain packages to build, but this seems to be so much better with
NetBSD - no doubt because it is so much more standadised.

However, I am having a problem with a package that I have had running before
with Linux.  Zope2.  It builds ok, and I run zope-install and it creates an
instance with the security options I specify.  It then tells me the
modifications I need to make to my apache httpd.conf file, and I have made
them.

When I try to run with for example :-

lynx localhost/instance

I get forbidden.  I have added ExecCGI to the / directory structure as
suggested, but this makes no difference.  I have tried instead to run zope
with the z2.py script to run ZServer instead of Apache (this is the way I
have it running on my Linux machine) but this fails as it says that thead
support is not in Python.  I then tried to rebuild python with thread
support, but this wouldnt build.  I configured for thread, and then make,
but when it gets to building the thread module it tells me that the rest of
python has been build without thread support and that I should run configure
with the --with-thread support and make clean and make.  Ive done all of
this and no luck.  I wondered if this was due to NetBSD or the patches
applied to python by the package system that do not support thread of
something.

Anyway I try I cannot even get this thing to ask for authentication in the
manage screen and will not allow me to view any part of zope.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be really grateful.  Could you email me as
well as answer to the group as I do not always get the chance to look at the
group.

Cheers

Timothy J F GIldersleeve

Oak Tree Computer Services
http://otcs.hypermart.net

2. SunOS 4.1.1 Install ?

3. NetBSD-1.4.1: vm_page.h broken ????

4. apache1.3.14 and AIX 4.3

5. Still locking up in NetBSD-1.4.1

6. Segmentation Fault

7. loadbsd update for NetBSD-1.6 Amiga Elf kernels

8. upgrading to kernel 2.5.8

9. ANNOUNCE X11R6.1 for NetBSD-1.2 (amiga) available

10. 4.1 4.1 4.1 HELP!

11. Terrible behaviour of NS 4.0b3 under RedHat 4.1 (2.0.27)

12. Weird behavior of NCSA httpd1.4.1 ?

13. problem: template compiling behavior of SUN C++ 4.1