Sounds, color X and mozilla problems, NetBSD 1.3.2/mac68k/Centris 660av

Sounds, color X and mozilla problems, NetBSD 1.3.2/mac68k/Centris 660av

Post by Itai Tav » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running NetBSD 1.3.2 on a Centris 660av, and several things don't seem
to want to work on it:

Sound:
=====
Installed rplay-3.2.0b6.tgz (binary).
ran rplay somefile.wav. Nothing. The program waits before exiting so it
looks like it's actually playing the sound, but I don't hear anything.

Color X:
======
Installed the Color X server (Xmac68k OSFA). Booting in 8 bit, the X
server works in grey scale - no problem. When booting in 16 bit color, the
server starts in true color mode, but all the colors come up wrong, like,
#a0a0a0 is purple, etc.

Mozilla:
======
Installed mozilla-19980728.tgz (binary). When I run it I get:
----
Warning:
   Name: bookmarkList
   Class: SmlGrid
   Attempt to destroy dropSite info for widget that hasn't been added as a
dropSite.

Segmentation fault
----
According to pkg_info all the packages that mozilla requires are installed.

I'd appreciate any help in solving any of these problems. Thanks.

Itai

--

-- "Je saute, donc je suis."  - Kermit the Frog --
-- 'Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?' --

Sounds, color X and mozilla problems, NetBSD 1.3.2/mac68k/Centris 660av

Post by Jason Newm » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm running NetBSD 1.3.2 on a Centris 660av, and several things don't seem
> to want to work on it:

> Sound:
> =====
> Installed rplay-3.2.0b6.tgz (binary).
> ran rplay somefile.wav. Nothing. The program waits before exiting so it
> looks like it's actually playing the sound, but I don't hear anything.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any sound support for NetBSD Mac
68K other than simple beeping in some machines. That's what it says in the
installation notes anyways.

Quote:> Color X:
> ======
> Installed the Color X server (Xmac68k OSFA). Booting in 8 bit, the X
> server works in grey scale - no problem. When booting in 16 bit color, the
> server starts in true color mode, but all the colors come up wrong, like,
> #a0a0a0 is purple, etc.

I got that problem when I tried to boot in 8 bit color. The server/kernal
don't support pseudocolor yet on the internal video for these machines. 16
bit color comes out fine for me though. I assume you got both the kernal
and the server at ftp.macbsd.com?

--
Jason Newman

Sounds, color X and mozilla problems, NetBSD 1.3.2/mac68k/Centris 660av

Post by Itai Tav » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Jason,

Quote:> > I'm running NetBSD 1.3.2 on a Centris 660av, and several things don't seem
> > to want to work on it:

> > Sound:
> > =====
> > Installed rplay-3.2.0b6.tgz (binary).
> > ran rplay somefile.wav. Nothing. The program waits before exiting so it
> > looks like it's actually playing the sound, but I don't hear anything.

> To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any sound support for NetBSD Mac
> 68K other than simple beeping in some machines. That's what it says in the
> installation notes anyways.

Actually, I read on ftp.netbsd.org that the 1.3.2 mac68k release should
support sound... but I just checked the FAQ at macbsd.com and it says that
sound is not supported on the 660av :(

Quote:> > Color X:
> > ======
> > Installed the Color X server (Xmac68k OSFA). Booting in 8 bit, the X
> > server works in grey scale - no problem. When booting in 16 bit color, the
> > server starts in true color mode, but all the colors come up wrong, like,
> > #a0a0a0 is purple, etc.

> I got that problem when I tried to boot in 8 bit color. The server/kernal
> don't support pseudocolor yet on the internal video for these machines. 16
> bit color comes out fine for me though. I assume you got both the kernal
> and the server at ftp.macbsd.com?

Yeah, I know the pseudocolor problem - which is why I use greyscale at 8
bit. I got the color X server from macbsd.com, and I'm running the generic
kernel from the 1.3.2 distribution. Are you using internal video or a
video card? Did you have to configure anything to get color working?

--

Post by Jason Newm » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > I got that problem when I tried to boot in 8 bit color. The server/kernal
> > don't support pseudocolor yet on the internal video for these machines. 16
> > bit color comes out fine for me though. I assume you got both the kernal
> > and the server at ftp.macbsd.com?

> Yeah, I know the pseudocolor problem - which is why I use greyscale at 8
> bit. I got the color X server from macbsd.com, and I'm running the generic
> kernel from the 1.3.2 distribution. Are you using internal video or a
> video card? Did you have to configure anything to get color working?

I'm not using the generic kernal from the netbsd distribution....there is
a kernal from ftp.macbsd.com that I am using. You have to use this kernal
with the color x-server....in fact, in my setup, I was still stuck in
black and white until I changed the kernal.

This kernal was kind of buried on the server, and I don't remember the
exact path. If you can't find it, I can always send it to you (i was
actually thinking of making a how-to page for people new to X and netbsd
so they can avoid all of the problems I went through...I just don't have
the time though.

For configuration, I think the readme with that X server says what to do
for on the fly stuff. If you are using internal video (which I am using),
you set it up on the MacOS side first, and then boot. Same things applies
to cards that lack rom driver support for the X server. Otherwise, it's
pretty much plug in play once you swap kernals and X servers.

I'll have to look into the sound issue...all I get is a simple beep.

btw....have you ever gotten the xcdplayer to work? Mine just tosses up
error messages of files not being found.

--
Jason Newman

Post by Ken Naka » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > > Sound:
> > > =====
> > > Installed rplay-3.2.0b6.tgz (binary).
> > > ran rplay somefile.wav. Nothing. The program waits before exiting so it
> > > looks like it's actually playing the sound, but I don't hear anything.

> > To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any sound support for NetBSD Mac
> > 68K other than simple beeping in some machines. That's what it says in the
> > installation notes anyways.

> Actually, I read on ftp.netbsd.org that the 1.3.2 mac68k release should
> support sound... but I just checked the FAQ at macbsd.com and it says that
> sound is not supported on the 660av :(

Yeah, the AV Macs have a different sound hardware than the others.
The ASC (Apple Sound Chip) which is on most Macs is more or less
supported but the AV's Singer (or ITT ASCO2300) chip isn't.

Ken
---
Any unsolicited message soliciting purchase of any product or service
sent to any of my accounts is subject to a US$50 handling charge per
message.  You have been notified.

Post by Jason Newm » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Yeah, the AV Macs have a different sound hardware than the others.
> The ASC (Apple Sound Chip) which is on most Macs is more or less
> supported but the AV's Singer (or ITT ASCO2300) chip isn't.

> Ken
> ---

so if one has a non-av mac, is there anything more than simple beeping? I
get silence on centris 650....other than a click sound when i get the
notice of new mail.

--
Jason Newman

Post by Frederick Bruckma » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > Yeah, the AV Macs have a different sound hardware than the others.
> > The ASC (Apple Sound Chip) which is on most Macs is more or less
> > supported but the AV's Singer (or ITT ASCO2300) chip isn't.

> > Ken
> > ---
> so if one has a non-av mac, is there anything more than simple beeping? I
> get silence on centris 650....other than a click sound when i get the
> notice of new mail.

You probably have the same chip that's in the Quadras. Colin Wood
posted a patch to the 1.3.2 kernel sources that will give you a proper
beep. You might want to search for it in the mailing list archives.

I had to apply it by hand to the current sources. Posted that diff
to the mailing list, too, but, unfortunately, current isn't building
this week..