NetBSD on a DEC AlphaServer 1000A with disks on the DAC960 only

NetBSD on a DEC AlphaServer 1000A with disks on the DAC960 only

Post by Ken Stail » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:31:08

Hi,

Someone gave me a DEC AlphaServer 1000A for free.  It has an
integrated RAID (KZPAC-AA w/4MB RAM for cache aka Mylex DAC960XX,
where "XX: is some string I forgot at this momement) and an ISP with
only a CD-ROM.  Unlike an external Storageworks you can use the SRM to
boot from this RAID but NetBSD 1.6.1 does not yet support that.  I
found that I could get the installer to work for NetBSD 1.6.1 by
importing MAKEDEV on a floppy and running

sh ./MAKEDEV ld0 ld1

The installer will prompt you with ld0 as a device I think.  If it
doesn't then "rm *sd0*" and symlink all the sd0 devices to the
equivalent ld0 ones and it will work to install on sd0 since disklabel
works on ld0.

Then building a custom kernel since:

config netbsd root on ? type ?

does not know how to detect that root is on ld0a and therefor will not
autoboot into multi-user.  Using

config netbsd root on ld0 type ffs

in the custom kernel avoided that problem since no auto-detection of
the root device is done in that case.

I also discovered that you need Ra200RCU.exe to configure the RAID
from the ARC firmware (it can switch between the ARC and SRM easily)
since there is no online utility in NetBSD yet.

I can't get ftp.digital.com to work with Mozilla but the directory
/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/v6.5/utility/swxcrmgr
is available from a command line FTP client and has the RCU exe's that
run from the ARC (aka AlphaBIOS) console.

Is anyone working on a port of XFree86 to NetBSD?

1. Installing redhat 7.1 on AlphaServer 1000A with Mylex DAC960 controller

Hi,

I have an old AlphaServer 1000A 4/266 with a Mylex DAC960
RAID-controller and want to install RedHat Linux 7.1 on it.

I can boot the system from CDROM and the installation programm starts,
but it doesn't load the dac960 module and therefore finds no available
block device for installation.
I tried with the 'noprobe' option and wanted to add the dac960 module
manually but it failed also.
Please help me!
Regards
Hans-Peter

2. Tar Extraction Question

3. Linux SUSE 6.3 on Digital AlphaServer 1000A 5/466 with Mylex DAC960 RAID controller

4. Installation from CD hangs

5. Mylex/DEC DAC960 on AS 1000A 5/300

6. CDROM root dir permissions DIEDIEDIE!!!

7. Dec AlphaServer 1000A Logs Off by Itself

8. Setup Q: What mouse for Packard Bell Synera 307?

9. DEC Alphaserver 1000a

10. ECU disk required for Alphaserver 1000A 4/266

11. Install Redhat 6.2 or 7.0 on AlphaServer 1000A

12. Booting AlphaServer 1000A 4/266 HELP!!

13. Digital AlphaServer 1000A ?