NetBSD 1.5 on DECstation 500/125 - problem booting from CD

NetBSD 1.5 on DECstation 500/125 - problem booting from CD

Post by Alexander Schreib » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 06:16:30

Hi!

I have a DECstation 5000/125 with two SCSI disks and a SCSI CDROM and I'm
trying to install NetBSD on this machine. I already wiped the PROM to
get to the PROM prompt. I put the NetBSD 1.5 multiboot CD into the
CDROM drive (SCSI ID 4) and type on the PROM prompt:

boot 3/rz4/netbsd

the CDROM drive LED lights up and the system seems to read from the CD.
After around 10-15 s I get the message:

?IO:  3/rz4/netbsd  (bb rd)

and the PROM prompt return Since this machine came without any
documentation (a computing center was getting rid of it and had it almost
thrown into the trash before a friend of mine saved the machine for me)
I don't know what this means. My best guess is: it's a read error and
the ''bb rd'' means ''bad block read''. Am I close to the truth here and
what can I do about it? The CD is a CD-R I burned and the CDROM drive
seems to have come with the system when it was sold, so maybe it doesn't
really like CD-Rs.

If everything else fails I will resort to trying to boot the machine
over the network, but I'd prefer installing from CDROM.

Thanks,
      Alex.

 looks like work."  -- Thomas A. Edison

1. Booting NetBSD on DECstation 5000/125

Hi!

I just installed NetBSD 1.5 on my DECstation 5000/120 - but it refuses to
boot from disk. It is a standard install on the first SCSI disk in the
system (rz0), to boot it I tell the PROM:

boot 3/rz0/netbsd

The result:

<cite>

NetBSD/pmax 1.5 FFS Primary Bootstrap
open failed
open 3/rz0//boot.pmax: 6
Can't load 3/rz0//boot.pmax
open failed
open 3/rz0//boot: 6
Can't load 3/rz0//boot
open failed
open 3/rz0//boot.pma: 6
Can't load 3/rz0//boot.pma

</cite>

And then I'm back at the PROM prompt.

When I boot from the install CD and mount the root filesystem, the files
netbsd and boot.pmax exist in the root directory.

Any ideas?

I'm very happy to RTFM - just point me at the appropriate FM.

Thanks,
        Alex.

 looks like work."  -- Thomas A. Edison

2. Radius & accounting questions

3. NetBSD 1.3 on DECStation 5000/125

4. fork() debugging

5. More on NetBSD 1.5 boot problems on VaxStation 3100

6. Need information on dbm/gdbm

7. NetBSD 1.5 Boot Problems

8. Apache 2.0.35 Compilation Error

9. Linux On DECstation 5000/125

10. DecStation 5000/125 Netbooting getting "a.out" error

11. Decstation 5000/125 running ultrix4.2a - need help

12. Cannot use CD-ROM drive for installation--NetBSD 1.5

13. NetBSD 1.5 GENERIC crashes on boot (i386)