Boot to FAT16 without dosboot.exe?

Post by Brian E Cloug » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:15:49

IS there any way to boot ro NetBSD on a FAT16 partition without
booting to DOS first and executing dosboot.exe?

Thanks,

Brian E Clough
the proverbial "Stranger in a Strange Land"

Boot to FAT16 without dosboot.exe?

Post by Takashi Ishihar » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:27:15

Quote:> IS there any way to boot ro NetBSD on a FAT16 partition without
> booting to DOS first and executing dosboot.exe?

Edit config.sys and put [menu] or something like that.
I guess "help config.sys" or something will give you the detail.

The simplest way, however, is probably add "C:\PATH\TO\DOSBOOT.EXE" in
autoexec.bat. This way, cheap and lame fake pnp sound card (or should we
say Noise Card?) can be set up before booing bsd...  good luck.

--
Takashi Ishihara                 http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ishihara
;; The first precept was never to accept a thing as true until I knew it

Boot to FAT16 without dosboot.exe?

Post by Brian E Cloug » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 05:25:52

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:27:15 +0000 (UTC), Takashi Ishihara

shouted:

>> IS there any way to boot ro NetBSD on a FAT16 partition without
>> booting to DOS first and executing dosboot.exe?

>Edit config.sys and put [menu] or something like that.
>I guess "help config.sys" or something will give you the detail.

>The simplest way, however, is probably add "C:\PATH\TO\DOSBOOT.EXE" in
>autoexec.bat. This way, cheap and lame fake pnp sound card (or should we
>say Noise Card?) can be set up before booing bsd...  good luck.

Aah, but this solution still requires a boot to DOS.  Even if it
automatically launches dosboot, DOS still needs to be installed on the
system.

I'd like to know if it's possible to run NetBSD on a FAT16 filesystem,
without DOS installed at all.

Brian E Clough
the proverbial "Stranger in a Strange Land"

Boot to FAT16 without dosboot.exe?

Post by Ben » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:00:24

Quote:

>I'd like to know if it's possible to run NetBSD on a FAT16 filesystem,
>without DOS installed at all.

I think what Brian is asking is whether NetBSD can run in a FAT filesystem
without an ffs partition or any other Unix filesystem. For example, you have a
single harddisk formated with FAT16 and you find a way to untar/ungzip the
NetBSD distribution files into the FAT16 partition.

Ben

Post by {bsd » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 06:36:47

>IS there any way to boot ro NetBSD on a FAT16 partition without
>booting to DOS first and executing dosboot.exe?

Uhm, just curreous... _why_ do you want to have
that nice and stable *BSD system running on a shitty filesystem like
FAT..?
Running slow and loosing its flexibillity and ownership/rights...

Quote:>Thanks,

>Brian E Clough

 :^}
--
avere prego grande una sera
 :-)

Boot to FAT16 without dosboot.exe?

Post by Brian E Cloug » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:51:09

order to be heard above the crowd, shouted:

>>IS there any way to boot ro NetBSD on a FAT16 partition without
>>booting to DOS first and executing dosboot.exe?

>Uhm, just curreous... _why_ do you want to have
>that nice and stable *BSD system running on a shitty filesystem like
>FAT..?
>Running slow and loosing its flexibillity and ownership/rights...

Those 5 special words "the customer is always right" (even when he's
wrong :)

Quote:

>>Thanks,

>>Brian E Clough

> :^}
>--
>avere prego grande una sera

can I get a side order of fajitas with that?

Quote:> :-)

Post by {bsd » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:49:29

>order to be heard above the crowd, shouted:

>>>IS there any way to boot ro NetBSD on a FAT16 partition without
>>>booting to DOS first and executing dosboot.exe?

>>Uhm, just curreous... _why_ do you want to have
>>that nice and stable *BSD system running on a shitty filesystem like
>>FAT..?
>>Running slow and loosing its flexibillity and ownership/rights...

>Those 5 special words "the customer is always right" (even when he's
>wrong :)

 *s* You do whatever you want with your system.

You will post a message on how it was after {if} you did it, right..?
  :^}

Quote:>>>Thanks,

--
avere prego grande una sera
 :-)

Post by Brian E Cloug » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 05:03:40

order to be heard above the crowd, shouted:

>>order to be heard above the crowd, shouted:

>>>Uhm, just curreous... _why_ do you want to have
>>>that nice and stable *BSD system running on a shitty filesystem like
>>>FAT..?
>>>Running slow and loosing its flexibillity and ownership/rights...

>>Those 5 special words "the customer is always right" (even when he's
>>wrong :)

> *s* You do whatever you want with your system.

>You will post a message on how it was after {if} you did it, right..?
>  :^}

Sure, if I can get it to work :P

Quote:

>>> :^}
>>>--
>>>avere prego grande una sera

>>can I get a side order of fajitas with that?

>>> :-)

>>Brian E Clough

>--
>avere prego grande una sera

...and the hot 'n' chunky salsa please.

Quote:> :-)

Brian E Clough
the proverbial "Stranger in a Strange Land"

1. Putting Linux boot files on NT's FAT16 boot partition?

Hi there,

I'm currently running Suse 6.2 on an ext2 partition that's well beyond the
1024 boundry.
My harddrive looks like this:
[FAT16] 2GB NT4 boot
[NTFS] 9 GB NT4 work
[EXT2] 3 GB Linux
[ECT2] 128 MB Linux Swap

At the moment I use a Linux boot floppy to boot into the Ext2fs partition.
Since I can't use the 'bootsector-copy' solution to use NT's bootmanager my
question is this:

Can I someway put the Linux boot files (that reside on the floppy now) on
NT's FAT16 boot partition.
If so, how do I configure this in NT's bootmanager?

I have heard from various sources that a setup like this is possible, but
not recommended.

Anyone has some pointers or how-to's?

Thanks in advance!

2. ProFTPD Anonymous ratio ?

3. Windows binaries for ls.exe, rm.exe, etc.?

4. questions about video & graphics

5. rawrite.exe - gzip.exe

6. DOSEMU help...please!

7. cmd.exe and root.exe in HTTP error files

8. relinking a file still held open by a unix filehandle

9. RH 5.1 partitions, FAT16/32, LBA, 40 GB, /boot etc??

10. There are two boot managers for Linux, FAT32 and FAT16, I think.

11. Booting without boot manager?

12. Dual Boot of Unixware 7.0 and NT - How without commercial boot manager?

13. booting Solaris2.4 x86 without boot diskette