more kde on netbsd questions

Post by Anthony Watter » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:41:37

I have finally just finished compiling KDE 3.1.2 /NetBSD /Sparc using
pkgsrc. (clean install from scratch)

Currently I have KDE up and running, however.. every time I open the KDE
control
center, (or launch any other application for that matter) I get the
following error:

KCharset: Wrong Charset!

The messages scroll the whole screen with what looks to be errors coming
from the NetBSD command line?
This makes it difficult to navigate the KDE desktop without having to
"refresh desktop" every time an application is launched

I have searched around the news groups and only find references to posts
that are several years old that refer to older versions of KDE (ie 1.x
etc..) and other operating systems.

Any new info on how to stop this error on current stable release of KDE 3.x
running on NetBsd 1.6.1?

As always, your help is appreciated!

Post by Karsten Krus » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:57:17

> Currently I have KDE up and running, however.. every time I open the KDE
> control center, (or launch any other application for that matter) I get
> the following error: KCharset: Wrong Charset!
> The messages scroll the whole screen with what looks to be errors coming
> from the NetBSD command line?

I guess it is simply something printed to the Console. You can edit
/etc/syslog.conf to send messages to /var/log/messages instead:

 - Change /dev/console to /var/log/messages in /etc/syslog.con
 - Restart syslogd with this line: /etc/rc.d/syslogd restart

What kind of Sparc? I have a SparsStation4 with 160mb but i prefer twm :).

Good luck,

Karsten

--
        Homepage, Mac68k, A/UX-Links und Shorties: www.tecneeq.de
  ()    Linux/NetBSD-Anleitungen, Forum  und Chat: www.newbie-net.de

1. NetBSD DOSEMU -- questions from a prospective NetBSD user

        Scott Reynolds writes:

What, are you on drugs?  OpenBSD _clearly_ states that it is based on
NetBSD.  There is no lack of credit to the NetBSD developers in the
commit messages, web pages, etc.  (Which isn't always conversely true of
NetBSD.)  I should also point out that parts of OpenBSD are as much due to
FreeBSD or Lites as they are to NetBSD, and, of course, there's a lot of new
code.

That's like someone pointing out that NetBSD wouldn't exist without the CSRG,
and calling NetBSD childish for having based their system on one from CSRG.

The originial 'question' was how to run a 'more secure' system, to which the
answer is 'run OpenBSD instead'.  OpenBSD takes security far, far more
seriously then just about any other OS in existance; that's not random
advertising either, it's a very serious statement of fact.

--
Jason Downs                (503) 256-8535 -/- (503) 952-3749

                             http://www.teeny.org/
             OpenBSD: The BSD with a soul.  http://www.openbsd.org/

2. Printer Deskjet 930c

3. KDE on NetBSD?

4. booting IDE

5. kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

6. VLB SCSI/IDE/serial(16550)/Parallel for Linux wanted

7. best browser for NetBSD/Sparc/KDE

8. Bridge and dhcpd problem

9. kde audio server + NetBSD - how ?

10. Compiling KDE 1.1.1 on netbsd

11. A question on upgrading to KDE 3.0.1 from KDE 2.2.2 (SuSE 7.3)

12. KDE Theme and KDE Header Question

13. Where is kde.debian.net or kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde ?