kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Anthony Watter » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:27:15



what's the best/easist way to get kde 3.1.2 installed running on netbsd
1.6.1? I don't see an iso or one complete pakage out there (ftp mirrors
etc..).
Do I need to build from source? If so how?

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

tw

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Andreas Wies » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:05:48



Quote:> what's the best/easist way to get kde 3.1.2 installed running on netbsd
> 1.6.1? I don't see an iso or one complete pakage out there (ftp mirrors
> etc..).

I think building it from pkgsrc would be the easiest way.

Quote:> Do I need to build from source? If so how?

Should work something like this:

#v+

# ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz
# cd /usr/
# tar xvzf /path/to/pkgsrc.tar.gz
# cd pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
# make install
# cd ../../x11/kde3
# make install

#v-

Quote:> Any help will be appreciated

HTH

Regards,

awiese
--
Der Schnee ist auch kein Geschenk des Himmels mehr: Er faellt genau an
den von den Skistationen markierten Punkten runter.
  -- Gerhard Gundermann

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Jens Richte » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:34:15




>> what's the best/easist way to get kde 3.1.2 installed running on netbsd
>> 1.6.1? I don't see an iso or one complete pakage out there (ftp mirrors
>> etc..).

> I think building it from pkgsrc would be the easiest way.

>> Do I need to build from source? If so how?

> Should work something like this:

[...]
addendum: if you upgrade KDE you will run into plenty of error
messages. The suggestion # pkg_delete [xyz] doesn't work because each
package depends on others. The easiest way is to open a second shell,
# cd /var/db/pkg. If an error message appears # rm -rf [xyz], then
# make reinstall in the first shell. And so on. If you haven't DSL it's a long
journey anyway.  

--
Cheers
Jens

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Andreas Wies » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:43:43





>>> what's the best/easist way to get kde 3.1.2 installed running on netbsd
>>> 1.6.1? I don't see an iso or one complete pakage out there (ftp mirrors
>>> etc..).

>> I think building it from pkgsrc would be the easiest way.

>>> Do I need to build from source? If so how?

>> Should work something like this:
> [...]
> addendum: if you upgrade KDE you will run into plenty of error
> messages. The suggestion # pkg_delete [xyz] doesn't work because each
> package depends on others. The easiest way is to open a second shell,
> # cd /var/db/pkg. If an error message appears # rm -rf [xyz], then
> # make reinstall in the first shell. And so on. If you haven't DSL it's a long
> journey anyway.  

Hm. That's quite right. But either 'make update' should work or you
can delete any packages depending on KDE with 'pkg_delete -r
<kde-pkg>'

[snip...]

And as I just heard the $OP doesn't have this problem because he just
re-installed NetBSD after (accidentally) trying to build the whole
pkgsrc-library and running out of space... :( I'm feeling guilty.

Regards,

awiese
--
And I / Give it all away / Just to have somewhere to go to /
Give it all away / To have someone to come home to
  -- Linkin Park / MY<DSMBR

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Jens Richte » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:42:29


[...]

Quote:> And as I just heard the $OP doesn't have this problem because he just
> re-installed NetBSD after (accidentally) trying to build the whole
> pkgsrc-library and running out of space...

O my gosh! Did you tell him...?

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/

1. Download pkgsrc.tar.gz (eg into your /home)
2. # cd /home
   # tar -xzvpf pkgsrc.tar.gz -C /usr

That's all. To keep the distfiles:
# mkdir /usr/pkgsrc_distfiles
add to /etc/mk.conf -> DISTDIR=/usr/pkgsrc_distfiles

--
Cheers
Jens

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Anthony Watter » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:53:11


ok here's what I did:

ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz
at which point I copied it onto a cdrom (from another machine) and took it
and mounted the CD on the NetBSD machine

# cd /cdrom
# cp /cdrom/pkgsrc.tar.gz /usr
# cd /usr/
# tar -xvzf  /usr/pkgsrc/pkgsrc.tar.gz
# cd  /usr/pkgsrc/x11/kde3
# make

at this point the 'make' process has been running 30+ hrs
I realize that the compiling process takes a while.. but this long? hmmm..
By the way, I am running on a Sparc 5 - 170 (turbo sparc)

I see that after I started this process, a couple of posts suggest that I do
the following:

# cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
# make install

Will that accomplish anything different or speed up the process compared to
the way I tried to do it?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks all



> > what's the best/easist way to get kde 3.1.2 installed running on netbsd
> > 1.6.1? I don't see an iso or one complete pakage out there (ftp mirrors
> > etc..).

> I think building it from pkgsrc would be the easiest way.

> > Do I need to build from source? If so how?

> Should work something like this:

> #v+

> # ftp

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz
Quote:> # cd /usr/
> # tar xvzf /path/to/pkgsrc.tar.gz
> # cd pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> # make install
> # cd ../../x11/kde3
> # make install

> #v-

> > Any help will be appreciated

> HTH

> Regards,

> awiese
> --
> Der Schnee ist auch kein Geschenk des Himmels mehr: Er faellt genau an
> den von den Skistationen markierten Punkten runter.
>   -- Gerhard Gundermann

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:32:05



> at this point the 'make' process has been running 30+ hrs
> I realize that the compiling process takes a while.. but this long? hmmm..
> By the way, I am running on a Sparc 5 - 170 (turbo sparc)

I have KDE-3.1.1a on Solaris 9 Ultra 1/170E and it took several days to
build the binaries.  BTW, you want 'make install clean clean-depends'.

Quote:> I see that after I started this process, a couple of posts suggest that I do
> the following:

> # cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> # make install

That should have been accomplished already as a dependency or the system
would have notified you to do it.
 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Andreas Wies » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:10:54




> [...]
>> And as I just heard the $OP doesn't have this problem because he just
>> re-installed NetBSD after (accidentally) trying to build the whole
>> pkgsrc-library and running out of space...

> O my gosh! Did you tell him...?

What? To do so? Heck, no! But yes, I told him how to do it right.

Quote:> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/

> 1. Download pkgsrc.tar.gz (eg into your /home)
> 2. # cd /home
>    # tar -xzvpf pkgsrc.tar.gz -C /usr

I told nearly the same (cd /usr; tar xvzf /path/to/pkgsrc.tar.gz)

[snip...]

Regards,

awiese
--
Dein Leben wird die reinste Hoelle / Sie kommen ueber dich wie eine Welle
Das wirst du nicht ueberstehen / Ich will dich nur kurz besitzen
Mich laesst man nicht abblitzen / So kannst du mit mir nicht umgehn
  -- Herbert Groenemeyer / "Die Welle"

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Anthony Watter » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 07:56:34


Copiling KDE has been a big pain for me.
After nearly another 3 days of compiling, today, while I was out , our power
went off.

Is there any way to tell how far along the 'make' process was , or if in
fact it actually completed?

If I am forced to restart, will it pick up where it left off?

Thanks again for all help with this.

tw



> > what's the best/easist way to get kde 3.1.2 installed running on netbsd
> > 1.6.1? I don't see an iso or one complete pakage out there (ftp mirrors
> > etc..).

> I think building it from pkgsrc would be the easiest way.

> > Do I need to build from source? If so how?

> Should work something like this:

> #v+

> # ftp

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz
Quote:> # cd /usr/
> # tar xvzf /path/to/pkgsrc.tar.gz
> # cd pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> # make install
> # cd ../../x11/kde3
> # make install

> #v-

> > Any help will be appreciated

> HTH

> Regards,

> awiese
> --
> Der Schnee ist auch kein Geschenk des Himmels mehr: Er faellt genau an
> den von den Skistationen markierten Punkten runter.
>   -- Gerhard Gundermann

 
 
 

kde 3.1.2 on netbsd 1.6.1

Post by Andreas Wies » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:07:07



Quote:> Copiling KDE has been a big pain for me.
> After nearly another 3 days of compiling, today, while I was out , our power
> went off.

You aren't not the luckiest man in universe, are you?

[snip...]

Quote:> If I am forced to restart, will it pick up where it left off?

Yes. One advantage of 'make'.

[snip...]

Gruesse,

awiese
--
Und am lautesten wird doch immer da nach Menschenrechten geschrieen,
wo eine Oelquelle in der Naehe ist.
  -- Konstantin Wecker