NetBSD has killed my SMC network card !!! Twice

NetBSD has killed my SMC network card !!! Twice

Post by Andy Robertso » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Help,

I have (or had) an SMC8013T nework card

I installed NetBSD 1.1 the other day from floppies and all seemed to go
OK.  I noticed it was not connecting to the network so I checked the
network card settings to see if they were the right ones to work with
NetBSD.  I altered them to the correct settings for the card with
ezsetup.  upon boot up NetBSD proceeded to tell me that my IRQ was wrong
the the network was not loaded.  I rebooted and this time it didn't even
find it.  So I booted to DOS and ran the SMC configuration program
ezsetup.exe which proceeded to tell me that I had no cards installed.  I
tried the card on another machine and still no luck.  So I tried another
card and exactly the same thing happened.  HOW do I get my network cards
back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my cards
!!!!

The cards will not work for a dos machine now and since the configration
 is stuffed I can't use them!!!!  Its really pissing me off !!!!

IF you have an answer or a suggestion email me at

Andy.

NetBSD has killed my SMC network card !!! Twice

Post by John A. Maie » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Help,

>I have (or had) an SMC8013T nework card

>I installed NetBSD 1.1 the other day from floppies and all seemed
>to go OK.  I noticed it was not connecting to the network so I checked
>the network card settings to see if they were the right ones to work
>with NetBSD.  I altered them to the correct settings for the card with
>ezsetup.  upon boot up NetBSD proceeded to tell me that my IRQ was
>wrong the the network was not loaded.  I rebooted and this time it didn't
>even find it.  So I booted to DOS and ran the SMC configuration program
>ezsetup.exe which proceeded to tell me that I had no cards
>installed.  I tried the card on another machine and still no luck.  So I tried
>another card and exactly the same thing happened.  HOW do I get my network
>cards back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my
>cards !!!!

No, the best NetBSD or any other OS, could do is scramble your card's
setting, if it is software configurable.  But even then the card could
be fix by running the configuration program from SMC.

I think your card has just gone bad.  I have a SMC8013T in my NetBSD
news server, and a older SMC in my NetBSD SLIP/PPP server and they are
great!

Quote:

>The cards will not work for a dos machine now and since the
>configration is stuffed I can't use them!!!!  Its really pissing me off !!!!

Face it, hardware just goes bad!  My NE2000 of 2 years of NetBSD service
(since NetBSD 0.8!) just went bad 3 months ago, I was very sad, but a
Ethernet Express 16 has made me even happier than I was before!  That is
after I figured out what I was doing wrong, but then that is a different
story...

>IF you have an answer or a suggestion email me at

I would if I could...
Sorry technical problems,

jam
*       John A. Maier          * Research and Development                 *

*                              * Procomm Plus for Windows and DOS         *
*                              * (314) 443-3283                           *

Post by Martin Cracau » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Help,
>I have (or had) an SMC8013T nework card
>I installed NetBSD 1.1 the other day from floppies and all seemed to go
>OK.  I noticed it was not connecting to the network so I checked the
>network card settings to see if they were the right ones to work with
>NetBSD.  I altered them to the correct settings for the card with
>ezsetup.  upon boot up NetBSD proceeded to tell me that my IRQ was wrong
>the the network was not loaded.  I rebooted and this time it didn't even
>find it.  So I booted to DOS and ran the SMC configuration program
>ezsetup.exe which proceeded to tell me that I had no cards installed.  I
>tried the card on another machine and still no luck.  So I tried another
>card and exactly the same thing happened.  HOW do I get my network cards
>back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my cards
>!!!!

I had something similar, too. The probe routines from PC-Unixes can
change the memory where the card stores its settings. If your kernel
had the right settings, this wouldn't happen.

However, the real problem here is the braindead configuration program
from SMC that fails to find its own card whens settings are bad.

The solution is to set the card to some hard-wired addresses instead
of "soft", use the configuration program to make proper settings and
then change back to "soft". Make sure your kernel config matches your
settings before loading it.

I once heard that alternate programs exist for these cards to make
setting. You may want to look for them.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 BSD User Group Hamburg, Germany   http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer

NetBSD has killed my SMC network card !!! Twice

Post by William O Ferr » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have (or had) an SMC8013T nework card

> I installed NetBSD 1.1 the other day from floppies and all seemed to go
> OK.  I noticed it was not connecting to the network so I checked the
> network card settings to see if they were the right ones to work with
> NetBSD.  I altered them to the correct settings for the card with
> ezsetup.  upon boot up NetBSD proceeded to tell me that my IRQ was wrong
> the the network was not loaded.  I rebooted and this time it didn't even
> find it.  So I booted to DOS and ran the SMC configuration program
> ezsetup.exe which proceeded to tell me that I had no cards installed.  I
> tried the card on another machine and still no luck.  So I tried another
> card and exactly the same thing happened.  HOW do I get my network cards
> back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my cards
> !!!!

   I had the same thing happen to me when first installing NetBSD.  A
friend of mine had it happen when trying to install OS2/Warp on his
machine (and his Warp doesn't even HAVE network support!!  =)  It would
seem that the probing for certain tape drives (and possibly other
things) involves writing to areas of memory around the base address 300.
 If your SMC card is set to that address, it will mess up the card's
settings.  Switching to a hard configuration shouldn't fix it, as it
manages to write the corrupted data to the card's NVRAM.

    Here's the routine I was given, that fixed both my card and the card
messed up by Warp:

(Hopefully you know the card's 6 byte hardware address)

Assuming your card is still at base 300 (don't jumper it anywhere else yet),
0x308 - 0x30d contain the hardware address.  0x30e is a board type
identifier.  0x30f is a checksum for the other information.  If the SMC
utilities don't see the correct checksum byte, they seem to
automatically assume it's not an SMC ethernet card at the port.

Using DOS "debug", check the values between 308 and 30f.  For example,
to view the byte at 308, use the command "i 308".  To write the byte 0F
to 308, use the command "o 308 0F".

Verify that the contents of 308 - 30d ARE your hardware address.  I
don't know what the correct board type for your card is.  For the two I
fixed, they were EtherCard PLUS Elite16T, and the identifier was 0x28.
Hopefully you have another (non-corrupt) card, or somebody else could
tell you what the correct identifier is, as at least for my friend and I
it was one of the bytes that had been changed by the probe.

Once you're sure all these bytes are correct, you get to calculate the
value for the 8th byte... =)  The sum of all 8 bytes (mod 256) should be
0xFF.  So add the first 7 bytes, and calculate what the 8th one should
be to get a sum (mod 256) of 0xFF.

Now you're ready to commit these settings to the NVRAM.  To do this,
read the byte at 0x301.  Add 0x80 to it, and write that value to 0x301.
Now write the original value back in.  Now the settings are saved.  The
SMC utilities should see the card, hopefully they will still show it's
the correct type of card...  =)

    BTW, be sure to move your card to somewhere other than 0x300...  =)

    Hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to email
me.  Good luck!

                                                          Will Ferry

http://www.warpdrive.com/~woferry/      | talk:  finger for online status

Post by Andrew Whead » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Help,

>I have (or had) an SMC8013T nework card

>back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my cards
>!!!!

>The cards will not work for a dos machine now and since the configration
> is stuffed I can't use them!!!!  Its really pissing me off !!!!

I've seen this happen when running 'ezstart' (for newer smc-cards)
on old cards which should have used 'ezsetup'. I've also heard
of it happening on running NetBSD with certain configurations,
though it never happened to me. It was a problem with the wt driver
and the le driver clobbering the nvram.

Anyway Charles Hannum (sp?) wrote a little program to remedy
the problem. Unluckily I can't find it in the mailing-lists
but if you ask him nicely he'll probably give you a copy

(another gotcha which can happen is when you have one
floppydrive and have configured the kernel for two
but that doesn't cause as many problems ie. a hard-reboot
and everything is fine again.)

Cheerio
--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"

Post by Kim Anders » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Help,
>I have (or had) an SMC8013T nework card
>I installed NetBSD 1.1 the other day from floppies and all seemed to go
>OK.  I noticed it was not connecting to the network so I checked the
>network card settings to see if they were the right ones to work with
>NetBSD.  I altered them to the correct settings for the card with
>ezsetup.  upon boot up NetBSD proceeded to tell me that my IRQ was wrong
>the the network was not loaded.  I rebooted and this time it didn't even
>find it.  So I booted to DOS and ran the SMC configuration program
>ezsetup.exe which proceeded to tell me that I had no cards installed.  I
>tried the card on another machine and still no luck.  So I tried another
>card and exactly the same thing happened.  HOW do I get my network cards
>back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my cards
>!!!!
>The cards will not work for a dos machine now and since the configration
> is stuffed I can't use them!!!!  Its really pissing me off !!!!
>IF you have an answer or a suggestion email me at

Cutting from the port-i386 mailing-list archive:

Quote:>> I've done this but no luck here either. I've booted straight to DOS and
>> run the SMC diagnostics with no response. This card is major-league dead.

>not "dead" -- just most software won't talk to it.

>Charles had a program to fix it, that he wrote when the problem was
>initiall encountered.  I couldn't find it in my mail archives or the
>NetBSD mail archives, but i didn't look too hard.  _somebody's_ gotta
>have  copy..

If you havn't allready, subscribe to netbsd mailing-lists.

Also direct your questions to the relevant mailing-lists where you are more
likely to get answers.

regards
kim

NetBSD has killed my SMC network card !!! Twice

Post by m.. » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  HOW do I get my network cards
>back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my cards
>!!!!

As you know, the SMC cards can have their addresses and such reprogrammed
through software -- their DOS config program does it all the time.

All the SMC cards I've ever seen have a jumper on them that locks them
down to a particular address no matter what their configuration is.
This is so you can recover from the situation you are in.

To have the card work with Netbsd, you will want to program it to
match one of the configurations compiled into the kernel.  If you
are using the distributed generic kernel, read the readme file to
find out the address and irq to use.  If you compiled your own kernel,
it will be in your config file of course.

Some PC based unix systems will reprogram any reprogrammable card
to match what they've been told.  e.g. you config your kernel with
IRQ 5 and the board with IRQ 7 so it changes it back to 5.  I don't
recall if netbsd does this, but it sounds like it from your description.

Post by John Meye » Sun, 17 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>Help,

>>I have (or had) an SMC8013T nework card

>>back up and running !!!!!!  Has NetBSD the ability to scramble my cards
>>!!!!

>>The cards will not work for a dos machine now and since the configration
>> is stuffed I can't use them!!!!  Its really pissing me off !!!!

>I've seen this happen when running 'ezstart' (for newer smc-cards)
>on old cards which should have used 'ezsetup'. I've also heard
>of it happening on running NetBSD with certain configurations,
>though it never happened to me. It was a problem with the wt driver
>and the le driver clobbering the nvram.

 I've was recently installing NetBSD v1.1 on a system with the SMC
 Ether Elite? combo and experienced the same problem.  This particular
 board has three jumper options for two different IRQ settings or to
 be software selectable.  I had the board's jumper set to IRQ 10 with
 memory address CC00.  Every time I brought the system up using the
 Adaptec based install kernel, the kernel would complain that the board
 was configured at IRQ 9 != IRQ 10 (which is actually hard coded in the
 kernel config).

 Using the SMC configuration utility to check the boards settings from
 dos, I found that the IRQ was actually set to IRQ 2.  It was actually
 pretty funny, as each time I reset the boards configuration and brought
 NetBSD back up with the install kernel, it would clobber the settings
 again, even with the board jumpered to a fixed IRQ.  After building
 a new kernel with a minimal set of device configurations (e.g. remove
 any devices from the kernel config that you don't actually have), the
 the kernel was able to correctly initialize the SMC board.

 So it appears that even if you have the board jumpered to a fixed IRQ
 and memory address, that something is overwriting it via software at
 boot time.  In terms of the previous poster's problem, I would imagine
 that it's possible the board's IRQ setting was set to a value which may
 be conflicting with a common IRQ setting.

 I think this should definitely be included in the FAQ at some point,
 given the number of SMC cards out there.

 John Meyers
 Systems Programmer
 Wright State University

NetBSD has killed my SMC network card !!! Twice

Post by Andy Robertso » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Thank you all for your help.

I recovered my card's with the neat little debug routine you all sent
me.  I had to jumper the cards back to hard settings before the setup
program recognised the cards and I could re-set the soft settings.

Thanks again.

NRN

Andy.

1. 2.4.6 APM suspend kills Dell inspiron 3500 sound card, but revives network card.

My devices on my laptop work very strangely with kernel 2.4.6.

-- Sound problems:

The sound card on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 3500) works fine when the system
first boots up, but stops working with the first suspend.  Any attempt to
write sound to it after that blocks indefinitely.  I don't even get console
beeps until I reboot.

That's under kde with their not-esd daemon (I.E. using noatun).  If I do the
same from the console it still plays fine before the suspend (using mpg123),
and afterwords plays short samples in a loop with "DMA timeout" error
messages to the console.

-- Network problems.

I have 3 pcmcia network cards (10baseT xircomm, 100baseT cardbus thing that
isn't with me right now, and a wireless card.)  The two 10baseT (pcmica) ones
have about the same behavior, the 100baseT (cardbus?) one's a little
different.

Under previous kernels (the mutuant red hat 7.1 2.4.2), the pcmcia network
card would work fine on boot but die when the system suspends.  (I didn't
mind because I could pop it out and put it back in and it would work again.)
Now with 2.4.6 it's exactly the OPPOSITE behavior: the network card doesn't
work at all until I suspend and resume, but when the system comes back up
after a suspend the card works fine.  Before the suspend, popping it out and
putting it back in accomplish nothing.  Afterwards popping out and putting in
work great, re-runs dhcpcd and everything.

Back under red hat's 2.4.2, putting the cardbus card in, suspending,
resuming, and popping the card out produced a kernel panic.  I haven't tried
with 2.4.6 (don't have the card with me), but I can try to reproduce this
under 2.4.6 if it sounds interesting to anybody...

-- Fun little detail:

The two cardbus bridges and the sound card are all on IRQ 11, it seems.
/proc/pci attached.

Rob

(P.S.  I take it the XFree86 hangs are an XFree86 problem, not kernel?  Rat
pointer still moves, drive still chugs a bit in the background, so the kernel
seems sort of still there...  Can't get out of the frozen gui though, no
ctrl-alt-F1, no ctrl-alt-backspace...  Oh well.)

  pci
1K Download

  modules
< 1K Download

2. User account conversions

3. having to run dhcpcd twice to get an IP

4. How to check what rc scritps RAN at reboot - any log file ?

5. PCMCIA Ethernet Card Driver Problem - SMC EZ Card 10/100 PC Card

6. gcc stack frame layout for linux?

7. Help: NetBSD 1.1 finding NCR 53c810 twice!

8. Best way to solution

9. Problems with SMC Elite16 Network Card

10. smc-ultra network card

11. SMC 9432TX (PCI) Network Card

12. SMC 8416 PnP Network card

13. Newbie - Need to install a SMC WD8013 Network Card (Suse)