Mac IIci - NetBSD 1.1 success and problems

Mac IIci - NetBSD 1.1 success and problems

Post by Jeff Ca » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I installed 4 4meg simms bringing my machine to 20meg total and happily I have
yet to have had any problems. I was even able to compile the entire GENERIC
kernel that is the same size as the default one that comes with netbsd1.1.
My machine also works now with 256 colors. It hasn't crashed yet. I even
compiled gcc 2.7.2 which took about 7 hours, but it too appears to have
worked successfully. perl5.001 didn't work however. Make got in some
infinite loop it seemed to be running make depend over and over again.

I guess that might be the only way to get netbsd to work on a mac IIci
as it stands ( unless one tries a internal video card ). You should
be able to get 16meg for about $380 maybe even $300 soon. goodluck.

If anyone knows how to successfully make a ppp connection in netbsd I would
love to hear about it.
I tried:
/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" ATDT5551212 CONNECT "" ogin:
<username> word: <password> /dev/cua0 2400 debug crtscts defaultroute
<ipnumber>:

then
route add default <ipnumber>

Obviously the /dev/cua0 is wrong, I don't know what the device for the
serial/printer
ports are? I don't even see anything in /dev so I don't even know if it's even
been setup.

thanks in advance,
jcarr

ps: incase you don't know how to compile a kernel there is info on that
at the netbsd website

Post by Dave Corcora » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I installed 4 4meg simms bringing my machine to 20meg total and happily I have
> yet to have had any problems. I was even able to compile the entire GENERIC
> kernel that is the same size as the default one that comes with netbsd1.1.
> My machine also works now with 256 colors. It hasn't crashed yet. I even

Heh.. makes me wonder how I get by with only 5meg and I can still use 256
colors.

Quote:> If anyone knows how to successfully make a ppp connection in netbsd I would
> love to hear about it.
> I tried:
> /usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" ATDT5551212 CONNECT "" ogin:
> <username> word: <password> /dev/cua0 2400 debug crtscts defaultroute
> <ipnumber>:

I struggled for a while trying to get this to work, but I was finally able to
do it thank to the help of some of the guys on #NetBSD on IRC. Here is the
script I use:

from my prompt I type "./dialup". dialup is an executable file that I wrote
that has one line which is this:

pppd /dev/tty00 38400 defaultroute connect 'chat -f /root/netcom'

"netcom" is a file I wrote that is the connect script that pppd uses, it
looks like this:

"" "ATDT9999999" "gin:" "<username>" "word:" "<password>"

I think that's it. I made some modifications to the original script I found
in the man pages (man pppd). And finally this works all by itself. I'm not at
my box now so I can't be 100% sure, but I think that's all there is to it.
The original script had "% " "exec pppd passive" after the password there,
but that wasn't working for me so I think I took it out.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. Lord knows, enough people
have helped me get things running, I'm quite happy to help anyone else
struggling with something I've managed to get by :)

-Dave Corcoran

Post by Russ Eva » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> If anyone knows how to successfully make a ppp connection in netbsd I would
> love to hear about it.
> I tried:
> /usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" ATDT5551212 CONNECT "" ogin:
> <username> word: <password> /dev/cua0 2400 debug crtscts defaultroute
> <ipnumber>:

The closing single quote for the connect script is missing!

Quote:> then
> route add default <ipnumber>
> Obviously the /dev/cua0 is wrong, I don't know what the device for the serial/printer
> ports are? I don't even see anything in /dev so I don't even know if it's even
> been setup.

I used /dev/tty00;  the kernel + install procedure provided them (that's
the modem port, the printer's on /dev/tty01).  Did you make
/etc/hostname.ppp?  It contains something trivial like
inet    <your.host.domain>
I found it helpful to capture the debug output by putting a line like
*.debug         /var/log/debug
into /etc/syslog.conf.  I also found that my ISP did not want to see any
<ipnumber>: at the final argument to pppd, even though the value given
was correct -- presumably the two daemons were trying to fight over who
should allocate the addresses and mine lost!   pppd does the route add
default <ipnumber> itself as part of the process.

That's all I can recall doing with mine; the man page is actually quite
informative -- it's just a matter of reading very slowly and making sure
you understand what the author is trying to tell you.  I also found the
Linux PPP HOW-TO quite helpful, although the stuff about rebuilding the
kernel is of course unnecessary, since the helpful folks in the MacBSD
core team already thought about your needs.

Hope that's of some help!

Russ

Mac IIci - NetBSD 1.1 success and problems

Post by Brian Co » Sun, 31 Mar 1996 04:00:00

]
] >
] > I installed 4 4meg simms bringing my machine to 20meg total and happily I
] > have
] > yet to have had any problems. I was even able to compile the entire GENERIC
] > kernel that is the same size as the default one that comes with netbsd1.1.
] > My machine also works now with 256 colors. It hasn't crashed yet. I even
]
] Heh.. makes me wonder how I get by with only 5meg and I can still use 256
] colors.

What's this about colors?  I'd love to be able to have a bit depth of more
than 1 on my IIvx..  I've checked the macBSD web sites I know about, and
visit here at comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.* occasionally but this is the first
I've heard of color support.  Is there anyplace else I should be looking
for this kind of news?  (Is the mailing list archived anywhere, maybe?)

Also, since I'm talking about MacBSD anyway, here's some more questions:

  1. I remember reading that only Sonic and Asante ethernet cards are
     supported, but I just saw a page on puma that says "most ethernet
     cards based on the 8390 chip should work for most machines."  Does
     this mean there's hope for a Cabletron E6010 NuBus board in my IIvx?
     It does use a DP8390CN chip.

  2. A posting in this newsgroup implies that if I figure out how to
     compile myself a new kernal, that I can use my macBSD machine to
     route between my local ethernet (assuming I get ethernet working)
     and a PPP dialup connection (which I'll also have to figure out
     for macBSD, as I connect from MacOS now).  Is that all there is
     to it?  And what will my ISP have to do on its end to support this?

  3. I've installed the X tarball "X.11Mar95.tgz" without trouble, though
     it's weird that I have to use the minishell and cd to /usr instead
     of just using file:install, but I'm unsure what to do with the
     "Xmacbsd.950912" update.  I understand that I'm supposed to install
     it on top of the existing files, but do I have to cd to /usr first
     or not?  The brief readme doc does not say, and I don't want to
     create a bunch of files in the wrong place.
     I have similar questions about the "xload.NetBSD.m68k.tar.gz" tarball,
     and also wonder if I should gunzip it first (some tarballs end in ".tgz"
     or ".tar.gz", while others do not).

thanks,
brian
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  _______    _____  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Brian A. Cole    |_   _  |  |  ___|    Visit Brian's Repository of

Mac IIci - NetBSD 1.1 success and problems

Post by Androo Spence » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

What kernel works with the MacIIci? I have a IIsi with 5MB running fine
with the 1.1 kernel. I would like to get BSD running on my IIci with
8MB, since X is intolerable with 5MB. I would also like to see color
work... i guess I never really tried it out tho, maybe it will work.
Anyways, if anyone can help me out in getting the IIci running with some
incarnation of the 1.1 kernel, I'd appreciate it... e-mail is always

thank you
-androo