Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

Post by d kol » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:18:50

I just loaded netBSD 1.5 on my Mac Quadra 800 for the first time.  I
can't set the root password because I get the password is busy message.
I checked the FAQ and it there is no temp password file in the /etc
directory.  What could be the problem? Thanks

Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

Post by Masao Uebayash » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:39:33

Quote:> I just loaded netBSD 1.5 on my Mac Quadra 800 for the first time.  I
> can't set the root password because I get the password is busy message.
> I checked the FAQ and it there is no temp password file in the /etc
> directory.  What could be the problem? Thanks

Can you show how did you do it?

Masao

---
 |_  -|--|-
_|__ /|\/|\

Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

Post by d kol » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:08:25

I don't understand what you mean "show how I did do it".
I checked in the /etc directory for the temporary password file and it is not
there (suggesting that this is not the problem).   Could the temporary
password file be in another directory?

> > I just loaded netBSD 1.5 on my Mac Quadra 800 for the first time.  I
> > can't set the root password because I get the password is busy message.
> > I checked the FAQ and it there is no temp password file in the /etc
> > directory.  What could be the problem? Thanks

> Can you show how did you do it?

> Masao

> ---
>  |_  -|--|-
> _|__ /|\/|\

1. Network passwords (was Re: How can I set passwords from script/file?)

The Novell network has support for synchronizing passwords across all
servers whenever a user sets the password on any one of them.

I have an environment which consists of several dissimilar Unix systems
on a TCP/IP network; AIX is the main "server".  Is there a reasonable
way to propagate passwords to other systems whenever a user sets the
user account password on one of them?  Presumably, SCO and IBM use
different hashing schemes for passwords, and they both go to some trouble
to make the password-setting operation difficult.

As things stand, it's hard for me to imagine having a secure network,
because users will tend to leave their passwords as simple as possible
for long periods on various systems, leaving the system open for password-
hacking.  Forcing them to change their password on a monthly basis would
be nice, but impractical if they have to log into every system (some
of which are used infrequently) to do so.

-rich

2. quick question

3. ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

4. How can i config Linux to be a router?

5. Converting old-style password file to new password/shadow file

6. newbie

7. disable password aging & lost of root password on SCO Unixware 2.1.2

8. Trying to set up iproute2

9. Question: Is SU password the same as the root password?

10. secure passwd.adjunct + pam + not set uid root binaries are not able to verify passwords - why?

11. Changing password when password isn't in /etc/passwd?

12. password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

13. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords