NetBSD 1.6.1: user password

Post by Huub » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:50:46

Hi,

I just made a fresh install and tried to add a normal UID with password.
The UID is accepted but the password seemed invalid and was instead
created to be '*' (asterisk). But when I try to login using the UID, it
says the password in invalid. Tried to use chpass to alter it, but that
doesn't seem to solve it either.Reading about chpass doesn't reveal (to
me) how I can change the password.
Where can I find any information about it or how do I change it?

Thanks

Huub

NetBSD 1.6.1: user password

Post by Adam K Kirchhof » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:40:36

> Hi,

> I just made a fresh install and tried to add a normal UID with password.
> The UID is accepted but the password seemed invalid and was instead
> created to be '*' (asterisk). But when I try to login using the UID, it
> says the password in invalid. Tried to use chpass to alter it, but that
> doesn't seem to solve it either.Reading about chpass doesn't reveal (to
> me) how I can change the password.
> Where can I find any information about it or how do I change it?

man passwd

Adam

NetBSD 1.6.1: user password

Post by Huub » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:34:51

>>Hi,

>>I just made a fresh install and tried to add a normal UID with password.
>>The UID is accepted but the password seemed invalid and was instead
>>created to be '*' (asterisk). But when I try to login using the UID, it
>>says the password in invalid. Tried to use chpass to alter it, but that
>>doesn't seem to solve it either.Reading about chpass doesn't reveal (to
>>me) how I can change the password.
>>Where can I find any information about it or how do I change it?

> man passwd

> Adam

thank you..btw, is there a ports.tar.gz like with FreeBSD and OpenBSD as
well? Can't find it.

NetBSD 1.6.1: user password

Post by Heiko Dudzu » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:27:05

> thank you..btw, is there a ports.tar.gz like with FreeBSD and OpenBSD as
> well? Can't find it.

ftp://ftp.nl.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc.tar.gz

If you got questions about how to use it, read
http://netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

NetBSD 1.6.1: user password

Post by Huub » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:34:21

Quote:> ftp://ftp.nl.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc.tar.gz

> If you got questions about how to use it, read
> http://netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

Thank you

1. NetBSD DOSEMU -- questions from a prospective NetBSD user

        Scott Reynolds writes:

What, are you on drugs?  OpenBSD _clearly_ states that it is based on
NetBSD.  There is no lack of credit to the NetBSD developers in the
commit messages, web pages, etc.  (Which isn't always conversely true of
NetBSD.)  I should also point out that parts of OpenBSD are as much due to
FreeBSD or Lites as they are to NetBSD, and, of course, there's a lot of new
code.

That's like someone pointing out that NetBSD wouldn't exist without the CSRG,
and calling NetBSD childish for having based their system on one from CSRG.

The originial 'question' was how to run a 'more secure' system, to which the
answer is 'run OpenBSD instead'.  OpenBSD takes security far, far more
seriously then just about any other OS in existance; that's not random
advertising either, it's a very serious statement of fact.

--
Jason Downs                (503) 256-8535 -/- (503) 952-3749

                             http://www.teeny.org/
             OpenBSD: The BSD with a soul.  http://www.openbsd.org/

2. time -p

3. win98 -> linux (samba) password requested, no user, no password works ...

4. FTP and EBCDIC

5. password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

6. Fritz PCMCIA

7. How to prevent two concurrent users with the same user ID/Password

8. slackware 3.0 games give graphics library errors

9. On AIX 4.3.3: User password expiry does not work for NISPLUS users.

10. NIS+ user management [Was: Re: root changing a user's password (NIS)]

11. Deleting users and user password revoke.

12. scoadmin -> Account Manager -> Users -> Add New Users breaks /etc/password symlink

13. Help with "Apache User Auth" -> user/password mod_auth_external.c