Playing sound ?

Post by PPC Bowe » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Just wondering,

playing sound is done by using what program/command ?

Secondly,

is this also possible on the mac68K port ? And if so, what version is needed ?

greetings,

--
Don't mail me, spammers will and therefore the mailaddress is fake.

Playing sound ?

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> playing sound is done by using what program/command ?

There are programs available in pkgsrc/audio for a variety of formats.

Quote:> is this also possible on the mac68K port ? And if so, what version is needed ?

The asc device in older macs is apparently well supported, but the
easc in most Quadra's has only limited support. Some have had
limited success getting it to play tones. The Singer codec in the
AV macs isn't (yet?) supported at all.

1. need "play" to play sound files

I just bought a Sound Blaster 16 and it's now working great under DOS.
I've configured and recompiled the kernel for SB16, and I catted an au
file to /dev/audio with success. Now, I'm looking for the "play" command
described in the Sound HOWTO. play is supposed to play audio files of
various formats, and this would be much simpler than getting a player
program for each sound filetype. I can't find it on sunsite or tsx, and an
archie search would undoubtedly find zillions of other things. Where can I
get binaries or source for this command? Thanks. Please e-mail responses
and I post the answer if people show interest.

|                                               | "The music suffers

| Leader of the Jihad to Destroy Barney at NCSU |   - Paul Simon
|_______________________________________________|     "Can't Run But"

2. New kernel feature list??

3. need help on play sound files to /dev/{audio,sound}

4. Routing

5. Odd failure with sound card/playing sounds

6. Strange lockups... hardware or software problem?

7. Does playing sound from CDROM supposed to load sound module?

8. Problems with fflush under UNIX

9. ESS1888 sound chip plays sounds half the speed (*dh)

10. Why my Sound Blaster Pro 2 play sound at wrong speed?

11. can't play sounds, but Gnome sound effects work!

12. Playing sound from program

13. CDROM Drive stops playing SOUND.