Version of NetBSD like PicoBSD?

Post by Brian Vit » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

PicoBSD (the tiny, fit-on-a-floppy version of FreeBSD) is, for me, a
great product.  It is just what I want in a unix operating system (for
now).  Plus it does not require any complex installations.  But my true
question is: is there a simmilar product based upon NetBSD?  I'd love to
be able to have a fit-on-a-floppy version of NetBSD to run on an old
Macintosh (68k-based) which is something that Free/PicoBSD cannot
provide me with.  Thanks.

Post by M. Vaug » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> PicoBSD (the tiny, fit-on-a-floppy version of FreeBSD) is, for me, a
> great product.  It is just what I want in a unix operating system (for
> now).  Plus it does not require any complex installations.  But my true
> question is: is there a simmilar product based upon NetBSD?  I'd love to
> be able to have a fit-on-a-floppy version of NetBSD to run on an old
> Macintosh (68k-based) which is something that Free/PicoBSD cannot
> provide me with.  Thanks.

You can install NetBSD in as small a space as a single Zip disk and use
that to try out the 68K Mac..

Post by David Burges » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> PicoBSD (the tiny, fit-on-a-floppy version of FreeBSD) is, for me, a
> great product.  It is just what I want in a unix operating system (for
> now).  Plus it does not require any complex installations.  But my true
> question is: is there a simmilar product based upon NetBSD?  I'd love to
> be able to have a fit-on-a-floppy version of NetBSD to run on an old
> Macintosh (68k-based) which is something that Free/PicoBSD cannot
> provide me with.  Thanks.

The install disk is as close as you're going to get right now.  As far
as I know, there's no move to produce a 'pico netbsd'.

Having not played with Pico-BSD, the question becomes "how did they do
it?"   Since (I presume) the source is available, you could easily grab
the file names for PicoBSD and build a NetBSD version that did the same
thing.  Getting the kernel and a working subset of software onto a
floppy isn't super challenging; the install disk does it now. Would you
be willing to work from two floppies?  If so, you could create an memory
file system image that contained all of the software you need and put a
floppy on the system as a writable asset.

1. Liked Roxen in the past but hate the newer versions?

Think the new Roxen releases are a sign that the company has lost it's
edge?  Well it's obvious you are not alone if you do.

Caudium is the name of a GPL webserver written in the interpreting
language Pike  as well as in C. It is originally based on the Roxen
Challenger 1.3 code base. It is an attractive alternative to servers
like Apache, Netscape and Zeus due to it's strength in dynamic page
and data generation, modularity and more.

http://caudium.net/

2. Help with gcc

3. OpenBSD equivalent to picoBSD (FreeBSD's smaller version)

4. I need help with RedHat and my new hardware

5. Next Version of NetBSD (1.1)

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. FreeBSD/NetBSD/LINUX - Sun/SPARC version yet?

8. How to get rid of a route permanently?

9. Alpha Version of NetBSD

10. NETBSD Version History

11. Q: H/PC version of netbsd ...

12. NetBSD DOSEMU -- questions from a prospective NetBSD user

13. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?