IP Masquerading for NetBSD

Post by Lanst » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Is anyone aware of work being done to allow NetBSD do IP masquerading, aka
network address translation?  I currently have a private net at home, with
a Sun 4/260 running NetBSD, a Mac, and a PC that runs linux with a modem
line to the outside world. Linux acts as a NATD pretty well, but  I'd
rather put the modem on the Sun, as the PC is a laptop and I like to take
it with me (not much chance for taking the Sun with me; but if I could get
it to have the modem, I could telnet directly to it rather than have to go
through the PC).

Chris Austin-Lane

IP Masquerading for NetBSD

Post by Ollivier Robe » Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Is anyone aware of work being done to allow NetBSD do IP masquerading, aka
> network address translation?  I currently have a private net at home, with

You should probably be able to use the NAT feature of IP Filter[1], written by
Darren Reed. I don't know if it has been tested on something other than a
PC but it is interesting to test.

[1] <URL:http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/>
--

FreeBSD FAQ: <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/>

IP Masquerading for NetBSD

Post by Theo de Raa » Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:00:00

   Is anyone aware of work being done to allow NetBSD do IP masquerading, aka
   network address translation?

Darren Reed's ipf stuff does NAT.  It's a default part of OpenBSD, and most
the developers use it. So there's an alternative for you.
--

IP Masquerading for NetBSD

Post by Mike Fris » Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is anyone aware of work being done to allow NetBSD do IP masquerading, aka
>network address translation?  I currently have a private net at home, with

        I'd be very interested in hearing whether or not this is
possible with NetBSD (the SPARC port in particular).  I have a Sun
SPARCstation IPC (currently running SunOS, but it can be changed :-)
which I am soon going to replace with a Linux box just so that I can use
the IP masquerading features (my ISP won't give me more IPs).

Thanks.

Mike.

Mike Frisch                                        (416) 496-2200 Ext. 2272
Software Engineer
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.                 North York, Ontario, Canada

            Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer