Differences between BSDs

Post by Kevin Ratcliff » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:39:59

Hi

What are the main differences between NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  Is
there a different focus?  ie. does one type of BSD focus more on
networking, security, ease of use. No need for long rambling specifics.
I installed NetBSD on a test PC at work, just for curiosity and from my
initial experiences, I found that NetBSD is easier to install than
FreeBSD and seems a lot 'lighter' than Solaris which I also installed
for curiosity.

Kev

Differences between BSDs

Post by Tim Hayne » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:05:34

> What are the main differences between NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Is
> there a different focus? ie. does one type of BSD focus more on
> networking, security, ease of use. No need for long rambling specifics. I
> installed NetBSD on a test PC at work, just for curiosity and from my
> initial experiences, I found that NetBSD is easier to install than
> FreeBSD and seems a lot 'lighter' than Solaris which I also installed for
> curiosity.

Open: security, in-house code-analysis team, that sort of thing
      (but has anyone checked recently whether you still get portmapper
      listening on a default install??)

Net:  supports lots of nice architectures. (Only recently got pthreads and
      they're badly incompatible with SMP.)

Free: pretty general-purpose IME.

HTH,

~Tim
--
   12:02:46 up 28 days,  2:36, 11 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

http://piglet.is.dreaming.org     |Colours ablaze in the evening