Printer setup using NetBSD-1.3 and HP 692c Deskjet Printer

Printer setup using NetBSD-1.3 and HP 692c Deskjet Printer

Post by Joel R. Pulle » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

I sweated through making my new deskjet work with netbsd and I thought
by posting this it might help a few people get theirs working :)

First of all I found using a polled printer port works much better to
print .ps/.pdf files using ghostscript much, much faster :)

You can make that by creating a new device file called /dev/lp
mknod /dev/lp c 16 128

Also had to add some entries to your /etc/printcap and
/usr/libexec/lpr/... to deal with some formatting required by the
printer since it needs \r\n instead of just \n at the end of each line.

The hp692c entry deals with postscript files and the lp entry deals with
the textfiles.

Example /etc/printcap entries
lp|local line printer:\
        :lp=/dev/lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :if=/usr/libexec/lpr/textfilter:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
hp692c|HP 692c DeskJet Printer:\
        :lp=/dev/lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :if=/usr/libexec/lpr/gsfilter:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

The textfilter (/usr/libexec/lpr/textfilter)
#!/bin/sh
printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
exit 1

The ghostscript filter (/usr/libexec/lpr/gsfilter)
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj550 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 \
-dBitsPerPixel=32 -dDepletion=1 -dShingling=1 \
-dFIXEDMEDIA -dQUIET -sOutputFile=- -q -
exit 2

Joel Pullen

Printer setup using NetBSD-1.3 and HP 692c Deskjet Printer

Post by Fujie Zhan » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Talking about printer. i am considering buying a printer. but i was puzzled
what printer to buy as i am not sure what printer will work with
netbsd-1.3-i386. will all printers what work with Windows 95 work with
netbsd-i386? do i need a particular driver for each printer? where to find
this kind of info? any ideas? appreciated.

> I sweated through making my new deskjet work with netbsd and I thought
> by posting this it might help a few people get theirs working :)

> First of all I found using a polled printer port works much better to
> print .ps/.pdf files using ghostscript much, much faster :)

> You can make that by creating a new device file called /dev/lp
> mknod /dev/lp c 16 128

> Also had to add some entries to your /etc/printcap and
> /usr/libexec/lpr/... to deal with some formatting required by the
> printer since it needs \r\n instead of just \n at the end of each line.

> The hp692c entry deals with postscript files and the lp entry deals with
> the textfiles.

> Example /etc/printcap entries
> lp|local line printer:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :if=/usr/libexec/lpr/textfilter:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
> hp692c|HP 692c DeskJet Printer:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :if=/usr/libexec/lpr/gsfilter:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

> The textfilter (/usr/libexec/lpr/textfilter)
> #!/bin/sh
> printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
> exit 1

> The ghostscript filter (/usr/libexec/lpr/gsfilter)
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/local/bin/gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj550 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 \
> -dBitsPerPixel=32 -dDepletion=1 -dShingling=1 \
> -dFIXEDMEDIA -dQUIET -sOutputFile=- -q -
> exit 2

> Thanks,

> Joel Pullen

1. Printer setup for HP Deskjet 550C wanted

I'm in the process of setting up an HP Deskjet 550C under Lunux and
would like to do ascii and color PostScript printing.  I'm setting
things up following the Printing-HOWTO, but it would speed things
along if someone would send me a working /etc/printcap entry and
the appropriate filters to use for text/color PostScript/TeX etc.

Thanks

2. Cable Modem Connection interrupted

3. Printer setup (HP Deskjet 695) -- no colors!!

4. HELP: Xconfig for miroCRYSTAL8S(PCI)

5. Printer Setup, HP DeskJet 722 c, any one ???

6. PCMCIA Ethernet/modem card - corrige

7. creating filesystem from file

8. Setup HP Deskjet 540 local printer

9. HP Deskjet printer set-up

10. Urgent: Printer setup for ascii text on an HP printer ...

11. HELP: Using a HP Deskjet 722C printer connected to a Win95 machine though Samba

12. Using the HP 722C DeskJet Printer in Redhat 6.0