pkgsrc Hell

Post by Louis Guillaum » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 07:16:05

Hi Everyone,

I am in pkg Hell. My NetBSD i386 machine is fantastic. I really have
nothing to complain about. Installation and setup was smooth and
everything works.

Unfortunately, despite my usual wariness about package systems, I have
gone and used pkg_add to add several packages that I thought I'd never
need to worry about.

Alas I need to install gtk+ from source and just about every
enlightenment package on the system needs the gtk+ package! Is there any
way around this? The latest package for gtk+ on the i386 is a couple
versions back from where I need to be.

But even if I had installed gtk+ from source, how would I be able to
install several of these other enlightenment packages? They require the
-package- gtk+ as a prerequisite. I remember having similar problems
with Linux and rpms, but my skull is thick and I am learning the lesson
all over again.

Any ideas of how to get out of this mess would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance,

Louis

pkgsrc Hell

Post by Dave Burges » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 08:55:59

The obvious answer is to bring the package up to date, update your system
with it, and send the changes back to the tech-pkg mailing list.

The other is to just trust the package system; it doesn't sound like you're
in a position to do that, but you never know.

> Hi Everyone,

> I am in pkg Hell. My NetBSD i386 machine is fantastic. I really have
> nothing to complain about. Installation and setup was smooth and
> everything works.

> Unfortunately, despite my usual wariness about package systems, I have
> gone and used pkg_add to add several packages that I thought I'd never
> need to worry about.

> Alas I need to install gtk+ from source and just about every
> enlightenment package on the system needs the gtk+ package! Is there any
> way around this? The latest package for gtk+ on the i386 is a couple
> versions back from where I need to be.

> But even if I had installed gtk+ from source, how would I be able to
> install several of these other enlightenment packages? They require the
> -package- gtk+ as a prerequisite. I remember having similar problems
> with Linux and rpms, but my skull is thick and I am learning the lesson
> all over again.

> Any ideas of how to get out of this mess would be greatly appreciated!

> Thanks very much in advance,

> Louis

pkgsrc Hell

Post by Louis Guillaum » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 08:30:55

Right! However, much easier said than done it seems. But I'm up for the
challenge. Now I'm having a hard time finding out the process of
updating the package. But some questions are still outstanding and I
haven't found any answers yet online...

. Is there any way to generate the new package directly from the source
tree of the project?

. What about new dependancies for this version of the project that may
be on my system (causing the project to compile ok) but may not be on an
unsuspecting pkgsrc user's machine? (and not registered on the old
version of the package as a dependancy)

. I've only used the package system for installs. This is the first time
I have been tempted to build or update a package from the builds on my
system. Is there a clear document that describes a method for doing what
I am attempting to do?

I would normally trust the system, but in this case I need a newer
version of the gtk+ to experiment.

Louis

> The obvious answer is to bring the package up to date, update your system
> with it, and send the changes back to the tech-pkg mailing list.

> The other is to just trust the package system; it doesn't sound like you're
> in a position to do that, but you never know.

>>Hi Everyone,

>>I am in pkg Hell. My NetBSD i386 machine is fantastic. I really have
>>nothing to complain about. Installation and setup was smooth and
>>everything works.

>>Unfortunately, despite my usual wariness about package systems, I have
>>gone and used pkg_add to add several packages that I thought I'd never
>>need to worry about.

>>Alas I need to install gtk+ from source and just about every
>>enlightenment package on the system needs the gtk+ package! Is there any
>>way around this? The latest package for gtk+ on the i386 is a couple
>>versions back from where I need to be.

>>But even if I had installed gtk+ from source, how would I be able to
>>install several of these other enlightenment packages? They require the
>>-package- gtk+ as a prerequisite. I remember having similar problems
>>with Linux and rpms, but my skull is thick and I am learning the lesson
>>all over again.

>>Any ideas of how to get out of this mess would be greatly appreciated!

>>Thanks very much in advance,

>>Louis

pkgsrc Hell

Post by sign.. » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 12:44:56

I'd start by using SUP to update the pkg system in the first place.
It takes a few hours the first time you use it on a dialup, but it is
essential if you plan on using pkgsrc.  After the first update, SUP
only updates the packages you need.  I'll bet everything you need is
up to date in the latest pkgsrc.

> Right! However, much easier said than done it seems. But I'm up for
> the challenge. Now I'm having a hard time finding out the process of
> updating the package. But some questions are still outstanding and I
> haven't found any answers yet online...

> . Is there any way to generate the new package directly from the
> source tree of the project?

> . What about new dependancies for this version of the project that may
> be on my system (causing the project to compile ok) but may not be on
> an unsuspecting pkgsrc user's machine? (and not registered on the old
> version of the package as a dependancy)

> . I've only used the package system for installs. This is the first
> time I have been tempted to build or update a package from the builds
> on my system. Is there a clear document that describes a method for
> doing what I am attempting to do?

> I would normally trust the system, but in this case I need a newer
> version of the gtk+ to experiment.

> Louis

> > The obvious answer is to bring the package up to date, update your
> >system with it, and send the changes back to the tech-pkg mailing
> >list.  The other is to just trust the package system; it doesn't
> >sound like you're in a position to do that, but you never know.

> >>Hi Everyone,

> >>I am in pkg Hell. My NetBSD i386 machine is fantastic. I really have
> >>nothing to complain about. Installation and setup was smooth and
> >>everything works.

> >>Unfortunately, despite my usual wariness about package systems, I
> >>have gone and used pkg_add to add several packages that I thought
> >>I'd never need to worry about.

> >>Alas I need to install gtk+ from source and just about every
> >>enlightenment package on the system needs the gtk+ package! Is there
> >>any way around this? The latest package for gtk+ on the i386 is a
> >>couple versions back from where I need to be.

> >>But even if I had installed gtk+ from source, how would I be able to
> >>install several of these other enlightenment packages? They require
> >>the -package- gtk+ as a prerequisite. I remember having similar
> >>problems with Linux and rpms, but my skull is thick and I am
> >>learning the lesson all over again.

> >>Any ideas of how to get out of this mess would be greatly
> >>appreciated!

> >>Thanks very much in advance,

> >>Louis

- --

        Destiny, n.  A tyrant's authority for crime
                        and a fool's excuse for failure.

1. ne2000 from hell..I tell you..from hell

I can't get it to work .. as I'm sure many of you know
it is a ne2000 compatiable..of the CE distinction..wo wo
it says uses the APX turbo <read as full duplex>
I have turned off the PnP mode
it is on irq 15
           I/O 0x280
I have passed the command to the lilo boot ethet=15,0x280,eth0

that doesn't work

I have booted with loadlin .. while passing the ethere ,,bla , bla , bla <&
gas>

that doesn't work

ne2k reports

Checking the ethercard at 0x280.
Register 0x0d (0x28d) is ff
Failed initial NE2000 probe, value ff.
8390 registers: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
SA PROM  0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
SA PROM 0x10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
Invalid signature found, wordlength 2.

2. Fixing ramdisk position in memory

3. How to make my own individual changes for pkgsrc packages (in particular sendmail)?

4. Redirection/CGI

5. Correct venue for pkgsrc problems?

6. Newbie question: 3COM cards with RH 7.0

7. overruling pkgsrc download locations

8. 4gb Drive under solaris 2.5?

9. help with compiling package from /pkgsrc/graphics/pstoedit (mipsel, cobalt)

10. NetBSD/sparc 1.6 pkgsrc total failure

11. Can't compile ssh-1.2.27 from pkgsrc

12. pkgsrc problems

13. pkgsrc question: bsd.own.my??