Problem with outboard SCSI

Post by C.R. Carlso » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

  I will try to keep my question short.
  I installed NetBSD on one of my old 575's (with full 040) in the
internal HD without difficulties. Runs fine, but is shy on space.
So decided to install on the other 575 (full 040 also), with a 1 Gig.
outboard SCSI. It's a generic refurb that I got that works fine with the
MacOS. I initialized, formatted, ran mkfs and went all the way through
install without problems. Gave 700 megs to Root/Usr, 50 swap and rest to
MacOS.
  Went to boot and noticed that my MacOS icon labelling the external HD
Mac partition has disappeared! The machine will no longer shut down
using the usual menu selection. Disk first aid see's only my internal
drive and not the external. But SCSI probe correctly see's the external
drive (SCSI 1) and if I look with disktool it even correctly recognized
the partitions. Needless to say it won't boot. It' gets to the "I sez to
him" and hangs.
  Anyone able to point me in some general directions?
  Oh, specifically the drive is a Micronta (not spelled right, sorry)
and the refurb outfit mentioned that it would work under Mac 8.1 and not
earlier versions. Thanks in advance.

--
"The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook."
                                    William James

C.R. Carlson
Philosopher & Curmudgeon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. No X on outboard monitor from laptop

Is it normal?  My laptop (Thinkpad 390) puts a perfectly good graphics
screen from Win98 onto an outboard monitor connected to the laptop's
ext monitor jack, but screenex blanks the outboard monitor until I
logout of KDE.  The regular text screen is fine.

I'm running Mandrake 7.2 with KDE 2.0.1, but the same thing happens
with an earlier KDE on Mandrake 7.0 and RH 6.2.

Has anyone advice (other than squint harder at the LCD)?

--

                     Snail: 37 Clinton St., Oneonta, NY 13820, USA
                     Just your opinion, please, Ma'am.  No fax.

2. kernel 2.4.17: no dri with debian xfree4.1

3. ide-scsi and real scsi problem?

4. creating ssh key with no passphrase

5. SCSI Problem with ISApport SCSI Card (NCR53c406a)

6. C-shell on System V shell

7. PROBLEM: drivers/scsi/sd.c - Incorrect Reporting of Blocks and Capacity of Large SCSI Disk Arrays

8. netdate source?? any one know where to find it?

9. SCSI and DEVFS developers read this: problems with 2 SCSI controllers

10. New problem with SCSI and SCSI CDROM RW

11. Problems using cdrecord to scsi cdwriter from scsi hard drive

12. Problem with Wangtek SCSI Tape streamer with DPT SCSI controller.

13. SCSI AHA2940UW + SCSI HDD problems