Vim on NetBSD 1.6 (x86 - not that makes much diff)

Vim on NetBSD 1.6 (x86 - not that makes much diff)

Post by Marc D Simps » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:30:36

Hey guys,

Whilst I usually use vi-85 and nvi, I'd like to get vim up and running
with colour syntax highlighting (and the works) on my newly configured
NetBSD box.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to like my TERM settings ... I'm
using wsvt25 at present, but it only displays syntax when

background=light

I've had the same problem on FreeBSD with cons25, but in that case I
simply added the line

set background=dark

to my .vimrc file, or even the system wide configuration.

However, when I do the same on NetBSD, all colour disappears - ie)
it'll only do highlighting in colour if background=light. Of course,
this is a terminal issue ... I know for a fact that my terminal can
support the full range of Vim's colour, and when I tell NetBSD I'm
using TERM=linux (though it doesn't operate correctly!) I do get the
correct colours.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Marc

Vim on NetBSD 1.6 (x86 - not that makes much diff)

Post by Andreas Wies » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:33:28

Quote:> Hey guys,

Hi.

Quote:> Whilst I usually use vi-85 and nvi, I'd like to get vim up and running
> with colour syntax highlighting (and the works) on my newly configured
> NetBSD box.

> The problem is that it doesn't seem to like my TERM settings ... I'm
> using wsvt25 at present, but it only displays syntax when

wsvt25 is broken. Setting TERM to xterm (e.g. in /etc/ttys) should
work.

[snip...]

Regards,

awiese
--
Eh. Das ist Unix. Wimmer hier nicht rum. :) Regel des Daumens: Wenn ich
es hinkriege, ist es idiotensicher.

Vim on NetBSD 1.6 (x86 - not that makes much diff)

Post by Marc D Simps » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:41:55

[snip]

Quote:> wsvt25 is broken. Setting TERM to xterm (e.g. in /etc/ttys) should
> work.

> [snip...]

> Regards,

> awiese

[snip]

so - I should set TERM to xterm for use on text mode consoles? ie)
/dev/ttyE*? sounds kind of odd ... ?

cheers,
Marc

Post by Andreas Wies » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:13:24

> [snip]

>> wsvt25 is broken. Setting TERM to xterm (e.g. in /etc/ttys) should
>> work.

>> [snip...]

>> Regards,

>> awiese

> [snip]

> so - I should set TERM to xterm for use on text mode consoles? ie)
> /dev/ttyE*? sounds kind of odd ... ?

Uhm... yes, you're right. When I asked this question in
de.comp.os.unix.bsd some weeks ago I got this answer, too. And I also
thought it's strange but against my expectations it really works in
most cases[1].

Hey, that reminds myself of an termcap entry somebody posted as a work
around. Wait a second and I'm gonna look for it...
Yepp, here's the article's Message-ID:

[1] 'in most cases' means that i.e. some 'pseudo graphic characters'
    don't look as they should, for example mp3blaster's border looks
    shity, but calling it as 'TERM=vt100 mp3blaster' fixes this ;)

HTH

Regards,

awiese
--
Never ask a geek 'why', just nod your head and go away slowly.

Vim on NetBSD 1.6 (x86 - not that makes much diff)

Post by Marc D Simps » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:29:26

Hi there,

[snip]

> Uhm... yes, you're right. When I asked this question in
> de.comp.os.unix.bsd some weeks ago I got this answer, too. And I also
> thought it's strange but against my expectations it really works in
> most cases[1].

> Hey, that reminds myself of an termcap entry somebody posted as a work
> around. Wait a second and I'm gonna look for it...
> Yepp, here's the article's Message-ID:

> [1] 'in most cases' means that i.e. some 'pseudo graphic characters'
>     don't look as they should, for example mp3blaster's border looks
>     shity, but calling it as 'TERM=vt100 mp3blaster' fixes this ;)

> HTH

> Regards,

> awiese

thanks for the pointer - obviously I wouldn't really have considered
setting a terminal TERM variable to xterm prior to now, but heh! the
NetBSD documentation only seems to recognise vt100 and vt220 as
legitimate settings - there's no mention that i can see of wsvt25
either. is there no effort to develop a simple termcap entry, like
FreeBSD's cons25, or is this too incompatible?

I mean, developing a termcap entry isn't too laborious. Just wondered
why there wasn't a NetBSD-standard.

cheers for the help-  much appreciated, and very useful,

cheers,