help with xdm and wmaker (netBSD 1.4.1, sparc)

help with xdm and wmaker (netBSD 1.4.1, sparc)

Post by Frank Matte » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have installed netBSD without major problems on my sparc classic
(because I read netBSD should be faster then linux on sparc machines).
I have placed wmaker in my .xinitrc file, and I get wmaker as
windowmanager if i start x via startx. However startinx x via xdm will
always bring up twm as windowmanager.
Can anybody help me what to do that .xinitrc is executed ?

Many thanks for the help

Frank Mattes

help with xdm and wmaker (netBSD 1.4.1, sparc)

Post by Tim Wall » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I have installed netBSD without major problems on my sparc classic
> (because I read netBSD should be faster then linux on sparc machines).
> I have placed wmaker in my .xinitrc file, and I get wmaker as
> windowmanager if i start x via startx. However startinx x via xdm will
> always bring up twm as windowmanager.
> Can anybody help me what to do that .xinitrc is executed ?

'xdm' doesn't execute '.xinitrc'...

It does, on the other hand, execute a practically equivalent
script called '.xsession' in the user's home directory, if it
exists.  So if you put 'wmaker' in your .xsession, you'll be
sorted.

XDM will close your session & return you to the login as soon
as your '.xsession' script completes...  So, assuming 'wmaker'
(I don't use it so I don't know) has its own 'Exit...' menu
item/button, make sure it is the last line of your .xsession
and doesn't run in the background.

(In fact, what XDM actually does is execute the script
 '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession' when you log in.  This looks
 for a .xsession file in your home directory & executes it if
 it finds one, otherwise it defaults to running twm.)

Cheers,
Tim.

PS. Word of warning...  make sure that your paths are correct
    when .xsession runs, or else hard-code the path into your
    .xsession file.  Nothing is more irritating than logging in
    through XDM and then immediately being logged out again
    'cos the window manager isn't in your path.

--
Tim Walls

help with xdm and wmaker (netBSD 1.4.1, sparc)

Post by Rakesh Vidyadhara » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Set the windowmanager you want in your .xsession file.

Rakesh

> Hi,

> I have installed netBSD without major problems on my sparc classic
> (because I read netBSD should be faster then linux on sparc machines).
> I have placed wmaker in my .xinitrc file, and I get wmaker as
> windowmanager if i start x via startx. However startinx x via xdm will
> always bring up twm as windowmanager.
> Can anybody help me what to do that .xinitrc is executed ?

> Many thanks for the help

> Frank Mattes

1. kdm vs. xdm (kde vs WMaker) ?

Hi all,

Another question by a newcomer to KDE:

When running an X/KDE session in display :0 (ctrl-alt-F7),
I want another X-Window in display :1 (ctrl-alt-F8) running
WindowMaker.
When I do a "startx -- :1", I get automatically another X/KDE,
but that's not what I want.

Is it possible to open another Windowmanager (say WindowMaker)
while I still keep my previous X/KDE session running?

This is a crucial point for me whether I keep KDE or not, since
I need the other Windowmanagers to be available without
having to close KDE.

Please let me know whether that is possible or not? If yes,
please give me some hints what to do.

Rob.

2. piping across net

3. wmaker 0.50.1 + xdm question

4. Hdparm utility : Where to find it?

5. Moving disks between NetBSD/sparc and OpenBSD/sparc?

6. /var/log/messsages rotation

7. (Possibly dumb) Q: Move disks from OpenBSD-2.3/sparc to NetBSD-1.5/sparc ?

8. i need more sound ???

9. SPARC assembler for NetBSD/sparc 1.1 0/10

10. Need some help with Sparc/NetBSD Installation

11. NetBSD/sparc cannot configure dial out modem - Please Help

12. Help compiling PHP with apache on Sparc Netbsd

13. Need help with ZIP drive and mtools 3.8 on NetBSD-Sparc