misc questions

Post by Per Christian Hende » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm a linux user that installed netbsd a couple of days ago. During
those few days I've already grown fond of netbsd. I thought it'd be real
hard to configure, but it turned out it wasn't that hard. Actually, it
was fun being challenged :)

I've read the documentation at netbsd.org, asked questions at irc and
news and figured out some on my own. Still, there are a lot of things I
wonder about. For convenience, I'll make a list. I hope someone takes
the time to answer some of my questions, or redirect me to a webpage or
such.

1. Is there a no (norwegian) keyboard map in netbsd-current (wsconsctl
-w
encoding="no") ?
2. dhcp client works, but it prints an error to the console quite
frequently about dhcp client not being able to reach the server,
connection timed out. I get ip and other info from the dhcpserver (linux
isc dhcpd).
3. One console/wscon isn't enough. How can I add more, linux style
consoles?
4. My netbsd partition which holds the netbsd disklabel is the third
primary on my i386 system and named wd0. This devicename doesn't make
sense to me. wd0 ? What would primary partition 2 be called, then? Can't
I access partitions outside the disklabel? Like primary partition 1 with
fat32 filesystem. What should I type to mount it?
5. I'm having trouble installing packages from the Netbsd 1.4.1 cdrom
(2/2). When I fx. try to install a package with cd packagename; make &&
make install, make fails and gives the error read only filesystem. I
untarred and zipped pkgsrc.tar.gz in /usr and made distfiles a link to
the cdrom distfiles. That didn't work either, same error. What am I
doing wrong?

-PER

misc questions

Post by David Burges » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
[...]
> 1. Is there a no (norwegian) keyboard map in netbsd-current (wsconsctl
> -w encoding="no") ?

I'm not sure about that - suffice it to say that we have our share of
Norwegian users, so I'd guess yes.  I haven't a clue how, but I'm sure
there's a way to do it.

Quote:> 2. dhcp client works, but it prints an error to the console quite
> frequently about dhcp client not being able to reach the server,
> connection timed out. I get ip and other info from the dhcpserver (linux
> isc dhcpd).

Check the firewall setting on both.  Probably not a problem, but you
never know.  Set up one of your virtual consoles (see q3) to do a
'tcpdump' looking for dhcp traffic.

Quote:> 3. One console/wscon isn't enough. How can I add more, linux style
> consoles?

In the /etc/ttys file, change the "no" to "yes" on the E1, E2, and E3
ttys.
Be sure to 'kill -1 1' after you update the file.

Then use Ctl-Alt-F1 (-F2, -F3, -F4) to switch.

Quote:> 4. My netbsd partition which holds the netbsd disklabel is the third
> primary on my i386 system and named wd0. This devicename doesn't make
> sense to me. wd0 ? What would primary partition 2 be called, then? Can't
> I access partitions outside the disklabel? Like primary partition 1 with
> fat32 filesystem. What should I type to mount it?

wd0 is hard drive 0.  IIRC, wd standards for 'Western Digital'.

There are two partition tables on your hard drive.  One of them holds
BIOS level mappings (usable by Windows, etc.).  In one of the H/D
partitions (on your machine, that would be partition 2) is another
hard drive partition table.  This one has eight partitions in it (a:
through h:).  These are your NetBSD partitions.  They can take up
the same spaces on your hard disk as the other partitions or not,
depending on what you want.

For example, if your Primary DOS partition covers tracks 1 - 10 and
your BSD partition is on 11-20, then your 'a:' partition would be
identified as a 4.2BSD partition and would be 10 tracks long starting
at track 11.  Partition 'e:' could be an MS-DOS partition that starts
at track 1 and is 10 tracks long.

You can also not identify them.  It's entirely up to you.  Historically,
partition 'b:' is the swap partition, 'c:' is the NetBSD portion of the
drive, and 'd:' is the entire hard drive.  Partitions 'e:' to 'h:' are
there for you to use.

Quote:> 5. I'm having trouble installing packages from the Netbsd 1.4.1 cdrom
> (2/2). When I fx. try to install a package with cd packagename; make &&
> make install, make fails and gives the error read only filesystem. I
> untarred and zipped pkgsrc.tar.gz in /usr and made distfiles a link to
> the cdrom distfiles. That didn't work either, same error. What am I
> doing wrong?

Sounds like you're trying to build the packages on the CD-ROM.
Obviously,
that won't work.

Check out the 'mount_union' man page.  That should give you all the
hints
you need about writing to a read-only medium.

misc questions

Post by Chris » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > 3. One console/wscon isn't enough. How can I add more, linux style
> > consoles?

> In the /etc/ttys file, change the "no" to "yes" on the E1, E2, and E3
> ttys.
> Be sure to 'kill -1 1' after you update the file.

> Then use Ctl-Alt-F1 (-F2, -F3, -F4) to switch.

Beside that , you need to edit the "/etc/rc.conf"
set the wscon = YES ( last line of rc.conf)

Chris

misc questions

Post by Per Christian Hende » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> #CD 2/2
> /cdrom/pkgsrc/blah
> these are packages?
> How do I install them?
> Where can I read a step by step dummy explanation of this?

Actually I found a good explanation on netbsd.org. I thought the
packages were to be built from the files on the cd, and it was some type
of misconfiguration that made 'make' trying to download files from ftp.
Turned out it wasn't :)

-PER

1. Misc questions on a Bully-free computer

I'm contemplating new hardware and have some questions that
I don't remember having seen answered in my many hours reading
newsgroups like this and web pages like Tom's Hardware.  I
admit that I haven't reasearched the Graphics questions, so
feel free to ignore those if you want.  I'm one of those Bully
Boycotters and have some uncommon considerations as a result
of wanting an uncommon CPU, motherboard chipset, and OS.

1) Do some "jumperless" motherboards require the use of MS-Windows
or MS-DOS to set up the BIOS?  Which ones?

2) The only ATX motherboards I've seen with non-Intel chipsets
have only two ISA slots.  Can I get sound cards and extra-I/O
cards with PCI interfaces?  Are they much more expensive than ISA?

3) Do ATX power supplies blow air into or out of the case?  Any
way to reverse it?  I want all my fans blowing air in thru filters,
even if it cools less efficiently (before things get covered with
dust).

4) Any problems running Linux with the latest SIS or VIA chipsets?
A couple years ago I read rumours that Linux ran slow with SIS.

5) Since Linux doesn't use the BIOS after boot, how is it possible
for Linux to work at all with non-Intel chipsets?  Do these chips
all emulate Intel chipset control regesters, etc?

6) Does Linux support parity or ECC memory?  (Memory is so cheap
now, I'm suprised this isn't more popular.)  If so, what happens
when Linux gets an error indication?  How is the user informed?
Are there popular protocals for handling memory errors such as
saving backup and working files before shutting programs down,
etc.?  Is there any means to report which memory is bad?  Is
there any means to work around bad memory like bad disk sectors?

7) Can integrated printer-scanners be used just as well as separate
printers and scanners under Linux?  When using any of these 3 types
of devices, will many features be missing (without writing my own
programs) which the supplied MS-Windows SW makes available?

------- Bully Boycott -----
8) Do the latest AMD CPUs still have the MS-Windows logo on them?
(In that case, Cyrix will do just fine for my needs.)

9) Just curious.  Do board makers or BIOS makers have to pay
Intel/MS licencing fees to implement PCI, PnP, or a BIOS?

10) When companies advertise using "Intel Inside" or "Designed for
Windows 95/NT" logos, do they pay Intel/MS or does Intel/MS pay
them or is it a "wash"?

------- Graphics -----
11) If I just want to run 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits, is there
any reason to have more than 4 Meg video memory?

12) Can I resonably expect Linux and/or SW running on Linux to take
advantage of AGP hardware in the next two years?

13) What's the best reasonably priced Linux-friendly video card for
running 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits (4 meg)?
How about 1600x1200x24bits (8 meg)?

14) Is there any reason to get a typical 3D video card for a pure Linux
machine?  I understand that the only 3D software on Linux for now
requires the rather rare OpenGL compatible hardware.  Is this correct?

Please don't try sending mail.  Thanks.

2. Disksuite question

3. misc questions

4. mobile ipv6

5. Misc questions

6. Desktop resolution

7. misc questions(gcc2.11, filenames, this group)

8. dosemu for Slackware

9. misc. questions

10. Misc Questions(Bootup warnings,Colors...).

11. x setup & misc. questions

12. Pls help: Misc questions

13. Misc questions