apollo domain series 3500

Post by re.. » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I own an old apollo domain series 3500, and i' d like to know if netbsd had been
ported to this kind of computer ??

Thank's

Frederic.

apollo domain series 3500

Post by Jim Re » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

  I own an old apollo domain series 3500, and i' d like to know if netbsd
  had been ported to this kind of computer ??

There was some work done on a port, but it isn't complete.  The only part
that's generally available is the boot block, which I did.  You can get it
from the UM Apollo Archive.

apollo domain series 3500

Post by Ben Hockenhu » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

writes:

>   I own an old apollo domain series 3500, and i' d like to know if netbsd
>   had been ported to this kind of computer ??

> There was some work done on a port, but it isn't complete.  The only part
> that's generally available is the boot block, which I did.  You can get it
> from the UM Apollo Archive.

I'm about to get one of these Apollos.  Is the port still active?  Is
there anything else you can tell me about BSD on Apollo, or any other OS
on Apollos?

Thanks

--

  "It feels so funny to be free..."

apollo domain series 3500

Post by Sean Ber » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>writes:

>>   I own an old apollo domain series 3500, and i' d like to know if netbsd
>>   had been ported to this kind of computer ??

>> There was some work done on a port, but it isn't complete.  The only part
>> that's generally available is the boot block, which I did.  You can get it
>> from the UM Apollo Archive.
>I'm about to get one of these Apollos.  Is the port still active?  Is
>there anything else you can tell me about BSD on Apollo, or any other OS
>on Apollo?

I've got a pair of 3000s.  I have to say I'm intrigued by them.  The
design would appear to be similar to that of the Borg.  BTW: Domain/OS
runs on them just fine (well, sorta), and I hope to have them talking to
each other over the *cough* token ring, and to the rest of the world
over the 3c505.

I'm trying to configure mine up, but I've only got OS manuals, (BSD,
SysV, Aegis), and could use hardware manuals or snippets from same if
they even exist.  :)

--
Sean Berry is an ISTJ cellist who plays with netbsd. What good is a soul
I imagine someone is likely to misinterpret          without fire to feed it?

apollo domain series 3500

Post by Jim Re » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

  I'm about to get one of these Apollos.  Is the port still active?  Is
  there anything else you can tell me about BSD on Apollo, or any other OS
  on Apollos?

The guy who was heading up the porting project has no time these days to
work on it.  In my opinion the whole thing is a waste of time, because
without Domain/OS, an Apollo is just hardware.  If you want NetBSD, you're
better off buying Intel equipment.

If you don't know what Domain/OS is, you don't want it.

apollo domain series 3500

Post by Sean Ber » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>  I'm about to get one of these Apollos.  Is the port still active?  Is
>  there anything else you can tell me about BSD on Apollo, or any other OS
>  on Apollos?
>The guy who was heading up the porting project has no time these days to
>work on it.  In my opinion the whole thing is a waste of time, because
>without Domain/OS, an Apollo is just hardware.  If you want NetBSD, you're
>better off buying Intel equipment.

Without MacOS, a Mac is just hardware.  And kinda weird hardware sometimes.
(Until someone wrote bits for it to run BSD)  Like many of the older
orphaned hardware platforms, the Apollos are kinda neat in weird ways.
(Besides, it'd be kinda nice as an Xterminal and more)

Quote:>If you don't know what Domain/OS is, you don't want it.

I've got it.  I've seen OS's that suck more.
--

Post by Ben Hockenhu » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

(Ben Hockenhull) writes:

>   I'm about to get one of these Apollos.  Is the port still active?  Is
>   there anything else you can tell me about BSD on Apollo, or any other OS
>   on Apollos?

> The guy who was heading up the porting project has no time these days to
> work on it.  In my opinion the whole thing is a waste of time, because
> without Domain/OS, an Apollo is just hardware.  If you want NetBSD, you're
> better off buying Intel equipment.

> If you don't know what Domain/OS is, you don't want it.

Heh.  I know what it is and a certain amount about the admin of it (which
has frightening implications).

I just thought it'd be fun to play with BSD or Linux on an Apollo, because
I'm just that kind of insane...

--

  "It feels so funny to be free..."

apollo domain series 3500

Post by Ignatios Souvatz » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:(Ben Hockenhull) writes:

   (Ben Hockenhull) writes:

   >   I'm about to get one of these Apollos.  Is the port still active?  Is
   >   there anything else you can tell me about BSD on Apollo, or any other OS
   >   on Apollos?
   >
   > The guy who was heading up the porting project has no time these days to
   > work on it.  In my opinion the whole thing is a waste of time, because
   > without Domain/OS, an Apollo is just hardware.  If you want NetBSD, you're
   > better off buying Intel equipment.
   >
   > If you don't know what Domain/OS is, you don't want it.

   Heh.  I know what it is and a certain amount about the admin of it (which
   has frightening implications).

   I just thought it'd be fun to play with BSD or Linux on an Apollo, because
   I'm just that kind of insane...

There _is_ somebody working on the Apollo port. Just needs it time.

Regards,
        Ignatios Souvatzis
--

about WABI, MS-Windows emulator on SPARCs:
Budi Rahardjo: "Sure it is nice, but there are still too many bugs.[...] every