How to connect to ISP via PPP?

Post by beake » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:48:08

I'm having trouble setting up my box to dialup my ISP via PPP. I've read the
Basic Networking docs at netbsd.org and more or less followed the
instructions.

Here are the specifics of my modem & ISP:

ISP:
chat authentication
hardware flow control ok
data compression ok
dynamically assigned IP addresses
dialups at 56k, 33.6 & 28.8 supported

Modem: (USR external Sportster 28.8  - v.34/v.32 bis)
dip settings: Linux=3,5,8 down ; Unix=3,7,8 down (this setting causes "AA"
to stay lit)
ATZ = initialization via "modem station" program
AT&F1 =   "       for fixed serial port rate
AT&F2 =   "       for software flow control
modem is on COM2 (=ttys1 ???)

Currently I've just got the base system installed and have constructed the
following pppd=related files:

/etc/ppp/peers/myisp
    /dev/ttys1
    noipdefault
    connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.chat'
    persist
    ipparam myisp
    asyncmap 0
    noauth

/etc/ppp/peers/options.ttys1
    lock
    crtscts
    38400
    modem

/etc/ppp/peers/myisp.chat
    ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ""
    \da\ptz0 OK
    \da\ptdt####### CONNECT
    ogin: <my account name>
    asswd: <my password>

When I type "pppd call myisp" I get

chat[338]: Failed
pppd[336]: Connect script failed

I'm sure I'm missing some things like DNS addresses and debugging but I
assumed anything else would have been mentioned in the Networking Basics
HowTo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~beaker

How to connect to ISP via PPP?

Post by Christos Zoul » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:42:37

>I'm having trouble setting up my box to dialup my ISP via PPP. I've read the
>Basic Networking docs at netbsd.org and more or less followed the
>instructions.

>When I type "pppd call myisp" I get

>chat[338]: Failed
>pppd[336]: Connect script failed

>I'm sure I'm missing some things like DNS addresses and debugging but I
>assumed anything else would have been mentioned in the Networking Basics
>HowTo.

Add a line:

*.debug                                 yourusername

to /etc/syslog.conf

and kill -HUP syslogd

You'll see debugging output...

christos

1. can't connect to ISP via PPP

I think I set up everything correctly,  from X I get into the network
configuration thing.  I set up my ISP's phone number and all that.  When I
activate it dials, the connect sounds are made, then it sits there, and
after a while it tries reconnecting.  My ISP uses CHAP, so I put my
information in the chap-secrets file.  What else can I do? there is no
ppp-log file in /var/logs, should there be?

2. Can anyone here reach httpd.apache.org ?

3. Connecting to ISP via PPP - I'm almost there

4. Any modelines library out there? New standard modelines in XF86?

5. connecting to ISP via PPP

6. ping packets not responded to

7. how can I connect my isp via ppp

8. SCADA Software

9. PPP Help Needed For Connecting with ISP Via Dedicated Addr.

10. Connecting via PPP witn a PnP modem to an ISP using PAP

11. How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

12. how can I connect ISP via PPP?

13. Connect via LAN vs. Connect via modem headache