NetBSD Amiga, Wrong group to su root?

Post by M. Scott Wil » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

I can't su root when I log in as myself.  The man page says I need to
be in group wheel (0).  Well, I am, but su still says I'm not in the
right group to su root.  Possibly a NetBSD 1.0 misfeature?

Scott

Post by Chris Mc Cart » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

> I can't su root when I log in as myself.  The man page says I need to
> be in group wheel (0).  Well, I am, but su still says I'm not in the
> right group to su root.  Possibly a NetBSD 1.0 misfeature?

> Scott
> --

   A misfeature, no,  Does your /etc/group file have the line
wheel::0:root, <your_user-id>, <other wheel members> ?
..ChrisMc Carthy.

Post by Markus Lame » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

: I can't su root when I log in as myself.  The man page says I need to
: be in group wheel (0).  Well, I am, but su still says I'm not in the
: right group to su root.  Possibly a NetBSD 1.0 misfeature?

: Scott
: --
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem first, but after adding myself (logt in as root) to
group wheel, I had no more problems to su.
Have you changed the file /etc/groups ?

Ciao,
     Markus
--
     __
 __ / / Markus Lamers, Oster"oderstr.6/Zi.26, 38678 Clausthal, Tel.: 05323-4626

        WWW: http://www.rz.tu-clausthal.de/~inmla/Welcome.html
             A4000/40/10MB/1.2GB/Mitsumi FX001D mit CDROM-Kit
Cpt.K.Janeway of starship USS VOYAGER:
          'There is coffee in that nebula' in THE CLOUD

Post by M. Scott Wil » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

: I can't su root when I log in as myself.  The man page says I need to
: be in group wheel (0).  Well, I am, but su still says I'm not in the
: right group to su root.  Possibly a NetBSD 1.0 misfeature?

Thanks for the responses.  This is in the FAQ, and the mechanics
involved are common knowledge with one subtlety:

while there are two ways of becoming a member of a group, only one of
them will allow you to su to root.  Instead of making the default group
id "0" in the passwd file, the user must be mentioned in group wheel
in the /etc/groups file, e.g:

wheel::0:root,username

I had tried both before posting, but after several helpful responses I
noticed a typo in my groups file (I had used ":" instead of "," after
root).

BTW: several very old versions of the NetBSD-Amiga FAQ are floating
around.  Are there no timely NetBSD-Amiga specific mirrors in the
states?  (There are plenty of vanilla NetBSD mirrors)

Scott

1. Wrong group to su 'root'??

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to BSD but have quite a lot of experience of
Linux, could somebody point me in the right direction?

When I'm logged in as a normal user and want to switch to root to change
system files I'm getting the above error. Now, I'm guessing that it's
pretty self-explantory, I just need to give that user membership of a
group, but which group is it?

Pete

2. Boot Problems

3. differences between su root and su - root

4. How to increase the number of filedescr. per process ?

5. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

6. Upgrade to kde 2.1.1 made fonts HUGE!!!

7. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

8. help: pppd and setuid-root problem

9. su says I'm in the wrong group.

10. NetBSD - kernel uses wrong subnet on nfs root mount!

11. cannot su if not in group 0 (root) or wheel- how to setup?

12. Help: FreeBSD won't let me SU root from a user in wheel group

13. su problem: su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted