Compiling KDE

Post by Anthony Watter » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:55:12

Compiling KDE has been a big pain for me.
After nearly another 3 days of compiling, and today, while I was out , our
power
went off.

Is there any way to tell how far along the 'make' process was , or if in
fact it actually completed?

If I am forced to restart, will it pick up where it left off?

Thanks again for all help with this.

tw

Compiling KDE

Post by Tim Hayne » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:10:53

> Is there any way to tell how far along the 'make' process was , or if in
> fact it actually completed?

Were you tee-ing the output to a logfile?

Quote:> If I am forced to restart, will it pick up where it left off?

If you
   cd /usr/pkgsrc/*/packagename
   nice make install

then it'll resume correctly. It is _make_, after all.

However, if the power was shut off impolitely, you would do well to find
out what the most recently created .o files were in whichever of the
dependency directories it was in at the time, and check whether the last
one or two are corrupt or 0-bytes small, before attempting to resume.

~Tim
--

the predictability of stupidity.            |http://spodzone.org.uk/