printing to TCP/IP printer

Post by Rado Faleti » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I want to set up printing to a TCP/IP printer for which I know the IP
address. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've checked out http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing-advanced.html
but the examples it gives here assume I know the port the printer is
listening to - which I don't.

Cheers.

printing to TCP/IP printer

Post by Jim Dutt » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I want to set up printing to a TCP/IP printer for which I know the IP
> address. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

> I've checked out http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing-advanced.html
> but the examples it gives here assume I know the port the printer is
> listening to - which I don't.

If you have an "IP printer" then it should have an LPD server capability.
I believe that port 515 is used for LPD connections, but you don't really
need to worry about that for setting up printing, unless you happen to know
that the printer has an LPD function using a different port number.

You do need to know whether the printer is PostScript capable, or not.

A simple /etc/printcap entry for an IP printer (+LPD server) might look
something like:

remoteprtr:\
  :rm=111.222.333.444:af=/var/account/lp.printacct:mx=0:\
  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remoteprtr:\
  :rp=text:

A PostScript printer usually has as least two "printer queues" (or modes): text,
and 'raw' (for PJL and PS). A non-PostScript printer may have only one "print
queue", or none at all. Obviously, you will need to substitute the proper IP
address and files if they do not match the example above. If you specify a
Spool Directory, then you need to create it, and CHOWN it to DAEMON.

Then you simply do "lpr -Premoteprtr ..." or "lp -dremoteprtr ..." to print,
assuming that you have a network connection with/to the printer, of course.

1. Printing to Win98 clients WPS printer over Samba and TCP/IP

I have just intalled a linux box with SuSE 5.2 and have got the network
to work in order to use the internet over 123proxy on my modem attached
to my win98 box. I've got two problems. First should be simple. Whenever
I try to access FTP sites with Netscape, it says i'm denied access due
to security precautions. I've tried as root and my username but neither
makes a difference. The proxy is set up for FTP and this is a maddening
problem because I can't download anything!!

My second problem is to do with printing to a shared Windows Printing
System Printer (Canon BJC-620) over my TCP/IP network with Samba. I've
only managed to get the proxy to work and as yet can't see my Linux box
in Network Neighbourhood on the Win 98 machine, even after following the
brilliant guide to Simpleton Networking by Michael Holve (it's great,
cheers Michael). I can access my linux box with telnet and my win98
responds to pings but it won't share things in Net. Neighbourhood. I
have no idea how set up printing  on linux.

I'm a newbie and Linux and installed it because of it's stability.

Please help!

Cheers

James Currer (Age 14)

2. voodoo5

3. TCP/IP printing to NT 3.51 amchine's printer

4. Unsafe MODULE_ usage in crc32.c

5. Printing over TCP/IP to an Novell-Printer ??????

6. generic_osync_inode() broken?

7. Printing to a remote TCP/IP printer

8. cromemco appl.

9. Linux print -> HP network-based printer(TCP/IP) ?

10. HELP: Printing on remote printer via TCP/IP

11. TCP/IP printing to a NT printer

12. Direct print to a tcp/ip print server

13. Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?