Default vi in 1.6.1?

Post by Carl » Tue, 06 May 2003 20:28:41

What is the default "vi" that comes with the base install of NetBSD?
(I am using ver. 1.6.1)

According to the NetBSD Guide and other somewhat outdated sources, it
is supposed to be "nvi". But when I use undo, I find that it will only
undo the last change, not the unlimited undo that "nvi" is supposed to
offer - or does NetBSD's "nvi" lack this feature?

Post by Thomas Dicke » Tue, 06 May 2003 20:41:45

> What is the default "vi" that comes with the base install of NetBSD?
> (I am using ver. 1.6.1)
> According to the NetBSD Guide and other somewhat outdated sources, it
> is supposed to be "nvi". But when I use undo, I find that it will only
> undo the last change, not the unlimited undo that "nvi" is supposed to
> offer - or does NetBSD's "nvi" lack this feature?

how are you testing it?  (u... should work)

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

Post by Aymeric Vincen » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:28:18

> What is the default "vi" that comes with the base install of NetBSD?
> (I am using ver. 1.6.1)

NetBSD 1.6.1 comes with nvi 1.79 (with some additionnal patches).

As Thomas*ey replied, you have to use the dot (.) command to
repeat an undo or redo operation. Typing 'u' again switches between
undo and redo.

Regards,
 Aymeric

Post by Carl » Wed, 07 May 2003 05:21:08

u works, but it only works on the last change made (like 'real' vi not
nvi).

If I make five changes to a file, and use u. It will undo the fifth
change. If I hit u again it will redo the fifth change. No matter how
many times I use press u, it will only undo and redo the last change.
My expectation of nvi (from the Guide and other sources) is that every
time you hit u it would regressively undo every change from the last
one to the first one (or do I have this wrong?).

Thus my question as to which version of "vi" is the default one
shipping with the OS.

Post by Carl » Wed, 07 May 2003 08:05:30

> NetBSD 1.6.1 comes with nvi 1.79 (with some additionnal patches).

> As Thomas*ey replied, you have to use the dot (.) command to
> repeat an undo or redo operation. Typing 'u' again switches between
> undo and redo.

Thank you for the clarification, I see where I was going wrong.