Benifts of NetBSD over Ultrix 4.0?

Post by mOdN » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00

  Hi,
    I've recently 'inherited' and old Decstation 5000/200 from a company that
didn't have a clue how to us it.  I must say I'm not much better, but I can
get it running.  It's basically been sitting in a closet since 1990 or so.

Anyways my question is what functionality/performance over Ultrix does NetBSD
offer.  It definantly seems like a pain to get installed (and I haven't figured
out how to make a boot tape for ultrix yet...)  The machine is pretty minimal,
8Mb ram, RZ55 338Mb, I believe Frame buffer (CX?) video card, a thin-net
ethernet adapter, TK50 tape drive, and a Floppy disk (RX23?).  It's running
Ultrix 4.0 and X ok, but a bit slow.  Frankly though their's not really much
I can do with the machine, I have APL and SQL for it but don't really need
either.  So if anhone can tell me why it would be worth the effort(besides the
fun of a new personality) of getting NetBSD onto this machien I'd appreciate it.
I have quite a bit of experience fiddiling around with Linux on a couple of Pc's
and OSF/1 / Digital UNIX on a nice AlphaStation, so the*details don't scare
me as long as the goal is worth the effort.  Thanks.

-Eli Venter

P.S.  If any one actually has a real use for this machine and would like to buy
it I'm open to offers <grin>

Post by Russ Eva » Wed, 06 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> >  Hi,
> >    I've recently 'inherited' and old Decstation 5000/200 from a company that
> >didn't have a clue how to us it.  I must say I'm not much better, but I can
> >get it running.  It's basically been sitting in a closet since 1990 or so.

> >Anyways my question is what functionality/performance over Ultrix does NetBSD
> >offer.  It definantly seems like a pain to get installed (and I haven't
figured
> >out how to make a boot tape for ultrix yet...)  The machine is pretty
minimal,
> >8Mb ram, RZ55 338Mb, I believe Frame buffer (CX?) video card, a thin-net
> >ethernet adapter, TK50 tape drive, and a Floppy disk (RX23?).  It's running
> >Ultrix 4.0 and X ok, but a bit slow.  Frankly though their's not really much
> >I can do with the machine, I have APL and SQL for it but don't really need
> >either.  So if anhone can tell me why it would be worth the
effort(besides the
> >fun of a new personality) of getting NetBSD onto this machien I'd
appreciate it.
> >I have quite a bit of experience fiddiling around with Linux on a
couple of Pc's
> >and OSF/1 / Digital UNIX on a nice AlphaStation, so the*details
don't scare
> >me as long as the goal is worth the effort.  Thanks.

> Well, as I see it with a DECStation 3100 I can give you two options:

> * Upgrade to Ultrix 4.3, 4.4 or even 4.5 :-) _BUT_ stay away from
>   DECWindows! Don't install that CPU-hog. Go for X11R6 instead.

> * Install NetBSD (I wish I had the guts and space to do that!) and
>   X11R5 (as of reading others posts on the topic).

> The 8 megs might make the machine a little bit slow with Ultrix, but
> I can't speak for NetBSD. I hope it's Gods gift for DECStation users.
> The RZ55 is more of a 300 meg drive giving you either 293 or 303 megs
> depending on how you mkfs:s the drive. The standard inode size is
> not efficient (4096 that is) so try 8192 instead ( think that is the
> number that I used).

I'm becoming rather enthusiastic about NetBSD -- unlike Linux, it runs
on the machines I actually have!  I'm taking steps to load up NetBSD on
my pmax at work, and may run it routinely.  I see the main benefit as
the shared library support -- the static-only libraries in Ultrix have
always bugged me!

8MB is seriously minimal on a pmax.  Even with 24MB, mine bursts at the
seams when running inn and nnmaster, let alone any user tasks.  Add, say,
a gcc compile, and you can kill it dead.  (OK, these are all memory hogs).
So on an 8meg machine, shared libraries should buy you a lot.  They may
also help a bit on a crowded disk.  I have 2xRZ56's on mine, but I have
run it against an RZ55 (I think -- the '350MB' drive), and I could just
about get a full Ultrix system on board.  I would expect NetBSD to leave
a little room for user filespace.

What interests me is the statement that this machine has been in the
closet since 1990.  My recollection is that the 5000 wasn't announced
until late 1990/early 1991.  Are you saying it was never, ever, used?

Russ

Post by Thor Lancelot Sim » Sat, 09 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>I'm becoming rather enthusiastic about NetBSD -- unlike Linux, it runs
>>on the machines I actually have!  I'm taking steps to load up NetBSD on
>>my pmax at work, and may run it routinely.  I see the main benefit as
>>the shared library support -- the static-only libraries in Ultrix have
>>always bugged me!

>NetBSD/pmax doesn't have shared libraries either.  One advantage, if one

When we get an ELF dynamic loader, this will change.  Oddly enough, we still
have a port which uses ECOFF, but it's not the pmax port... :-)

Quote:>can get it running, is that it doesn't have the silly enforced 2-user default
>license that Ultrix does.

Of course, neither does Ultrix, if you replace /bin/login. :-)

[ note to sycophantic DEC weenies:  Note the word "enforced" above before you
  flame me.  I used to work for DEC; believe me, I've heard it before. ]

--

                        love is an angel disguised as lust

Benifts of NetBSD over Ultrix 4.0?

Quote:>I'm becoming rather enthusiastic about NetBSD -- unlike Linux, it runs

]
]NetBSD/pmax doesn't have shared libraries either.  One advantage, if one
]can get it running, is that it doesn't have the silly enforced 2-user default
]license that Ultrix does.

Ultrix's license is enfored by the login program.  It's pretty easy to get
around...  I once ported the NetBSD login program, used by the Cray telnetd.
(Couldn't get rlogin/rsh to go, but having an unlimited telnet was good
enough.)

--
Jason Downs

http://www.*y.org/

1. MIPS-ultrix-> NetBSD install? POST Y2K

Hi, I have a dead (TM) ultrix box on my hands.
Specifically, this box was never patched with the necessary
Y2K-compliant date functions; it lived through December, but
is now completely non compos mentis. (Will not complete its
boot sequence).

Any pointers on tricks I could use to boot this box (from
another machine- or from- god forbid- a tape drive)... into NetBSD
or into a NetBSD install?

And a happy thought for all: if the world's vital systems all ran
on unpatched Ultrix 4.2, Y2K *would* have been somewhat of a
bigger deal.

Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated-

K. B. Russell
Programmer/ Analyst, Oberlin College Development Resources

ignore, override, become

2. diskless boot recommendation

3. Blasting HD mode pages under NetBSD 1.4.1 or Ultrix 4.5

4. cp on /dev/ftape?

5. Problems with su/csh on Ultrix 4.0/DECstation 5000

6. Live video overlay experiences

7. Problems with RPC/XDR on Ultrix 4.0

8. /proc/partitions fix for 2.5.30

9. ksh88 and vi-mode/Ultrix 4.0

10. Is SIGIO possible for named pipes in Ultrix 4.0?

11. ksh88 vs Ultrix 4.0

12. Problem Porting ULTRIX to OSF1/4.0 465 Alpha: more about prob#2

13. BIND on Ultrix 4.0