moving from 1.6 to 1.6.1 or current?

Post by nuk » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:19:20

I'm pretty new to NetBSD, and I'm a bit confused about the
process for updating from 1.6, which is what the ISO image
I downloaded is for.

I've found two documents on the NetBSD site, one on
updating a stable release, and the other on tracking current.
I'm not sure which one is what I need to do.

And to add to the confusion, whilst browsing mailing list archives
and what not, I've gotten the impression that there is some
change to the syntax for the commands involved btwn 1.6.1 and
current?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated,

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

moving from 1.6 to 1.6.1 or current?

Post by nuk » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:26:56

Well, I found some ways to update 1.6 to 1.6.1, but given the speed of
my connection, I'm opting to just d/l the 1.6.1 iso and work from there
for now.  So in another, oh, 10-12hrs the d/l should be done and I can
try this again ;)

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

1. Upgrade from 1.6 Release to 1.6 Stable (daily releng-snapshot) with binaries

Hello,

I've got some machines here with 1.6 Release running and I'd like to
update to the more current stable, which is compiled daily at
releng.netbsd.org.
Because I don't want to compile it all, I'd like to do a binary-update
with the sets/*.tgz but I couldn't find any detailed instructions
about how to do that.

Can I just put them in / and tar xfvp them in single-user mode? Or do
I have to boot via floppy and then do it?
Is it okay when I put the GENERIC-Kernel of the binaries in /netbsd
and then recompile it after I got everything running?
What about /etc /var /tmp, other config-files?

If someone could give me some step-by-step instructions I would be
very grateful.

Greetings,

Markus

2. fips with fat32?

3. Moving linux from 540 to 1.6 g drive??

4. Urgent - Problems with DYNIX/Ptx v4.0.2

5. Dual Boot Openbsd 3.1 and NetBSD 1.6

6. Trouble compiling 1.3.58 + small patch

7. LINUX and EIDE 1.6 GB drive

8. RS6000 Curses Application

9. traceroute for AIX V3.1.6/3.2.x

10. Mozilla 1.6 and 1.7 copy clipboard bug

11. Problem with jdk-1.1.6 appletviewer

12. The return of the return of crunch time (2.5 merge candidate list 1.6)

13. WU-FTP-2.1.6 problems (redhat 7)