Booting NetBSD/DOS and "Invalid System Disk"

Booting NetBSD/DOS and "Invalid System Disk"

Post by simima » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 08:06:46

Here's the situation, I have one windows/fat32 partition (around 40gb), 2/3 gb
empty on disk

I install NetBSD on the unused portion (left a few megs slack space
even), install boot manager, everything there looks kosher - NetBSD boots
up just fine

 When I try and boot the windows partiton it gives me "Invalid System
Disk."

 I have deleted the NetBSD partition, set the win/dos one active, fdisk
/mbr'd it, reinstalled the boot loader, reinstalled windows -- all to no
avail.

 Suggestions? I can still see all the data on the windows partition just
fine, just it can't boot now for some reason.

--
simian at replic d0t net

Booting NetBSD/DOS and "Invalid System Disk"

Post by Thomas Muelle » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:11:48

Quote:>Here's the situation, I have one windows/fat32 partition (around 40gb), 2/3 gb
>empty on disk

>I install NetBSD on the unused portion (left a few megs slack space
>even), install boot manager, everything there looks kosher - NetBSD boots
>up just fine

> When I try and boot the windows partiton it gives me "Invalid System
>Disk."

> I have deleted the NetBSD partition, set the win/dos one active, fdisk
>/mbr'd it, reinstalled the boot loader, reinstalled windows -- all to no
>avail.

> Suggestions? I can still see all the data on the windows partition just
>fine, just it can't boot now for some reason.

>--
>simian at replic d0t net

MS seems to believe the only OS any civilized user would run on an i386 is some
current form of Windows, hence the difficulties involved sharing the hard disk
with another OS.  My reaction is that I want no part of any MS-Windows when I
buy my next computer, custom-built from parts as opposed to preconfigured brand
name.  I'd rather share between DR-DOS 7.03, Linux and NetBSD.

You should give NetBSD more space!  You don't need 40 GB for MS-Windows.  Since
Windows 95/98/ME is built on DOS, you ought to be able to boot from drive A and
start Windows using 'win' command, but that's only a guess on my part, I have
nothing to test it on.

Booting NetBSD/DOS and "Invalid System Disk"

Post by jp » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 06:04:41

[SNIP]

Did you resize that windows partition?
if so, make sure you clear the first sector after the boot-loader
*IN* the windows partition. dos/wxx after dos 6.something have some
partition table-equivalent info there that treats it as more reliable
than the actual partition table.

HTH

<struct> It's always a long day, 86400 doesn't fit into a short, geeky quote :)
        -- seen on #freebsd, ircnet

1. lilo of satan (dos "invalid system disk")

Just a semi-educated guess, but you might try "other=/sev/sda" rather than
sda1.  It sounds like DOS is finding a boot record rather than an MBR,
which is why it thinks that there is a floppy supposed to be present.
Vectoring it to sda rather than sda1 will bring it to the MBR.

Harvey

 Harvey Fishman   |   It is easy to live by the laws that you agree with.

  718-258-7276    |        even the ones that you think are wrong.

2. Debian upgrade lost hdb

3. RedHat 5.2, "/boot/System.map" and "/boot/System.map"

4. Connect:Direct for Unix

6. tar-files: manipulate

7. E250 internal disks: "Sun" disk vs "generic" Seagate disk

8. how to get time information from a number

9. fdisk (1.6 i386) "Invalid system disk"

10. boot disk loads lilo, starts then" invalid compressed format"

12. Local forwarding with "iptables" gives "invalid arguments"

13. bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?