best browser for NetBSD/Sparc/KDE

Post by Anthony Watter » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:37:03

Can anyone recommend the best browser for the following type of build?

I have NetBSD 1.6.1 running on Sparc 5/170 and am using KDE 3.1.2.

Currently I have compiled and installed (from pkgsrc)Mozilla 1.4. Although I
like the product/features etc.., it is excruciatingly slow. The browser
itself takes about 30 to 40 seconds to load. Opening pages takes 15 to 20
seconds at a time. Also it is a hog on resources (i.e. memory,hard disk
space etc..and takes about a day and a half to compile and install.

So what I am looking for is advice on a stable browser that will work
faster, is more lightweight, and is able to compile/install in less time
with less headaches (make and make install processes work the first time)
and open pages much more quickly, and has many, if not more features,
plug-ins etc..

I also have the standard Konqueror / KFM running (also installed from pkgsrc
as a part of KDE build). I like it but it does not open pages properly (i.e.
many icons not painted on screen, plug-ins hard to come by and not easily
installed)

Interestingly enough, the pkgsrc library for sparc build has Opera, Netscape
(and a few others I think). However, when I try to compile them , the make
process fails and reports that they are not available for NetBSD 1.6.1, even
though they are part of the pkgsrc for sparc. (hmmm)

So if anyone can recommend an app that works (on a NetBSD
1.6.1/Sparc/KDE3.1.2 build), has decent install documentation etc..

please advise.

thanks in advance

AW

best browser for NetBSD/Sparc/KDE

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:21:23

Quote:> Can anyone recommend the best browser for the following type of build?

> I have NetBSD 1.6.1 running on Sparc 5/170 and am using KDE 3.1.2.

> Currently I have compiled and installed (from pkgsrc)Mozilla 1.4. Although I
> like the product/features etc.., it is excruciatingly slow. The browser
> itself takes about 30 to 40 seconds to load. Opening pages takes 15 to 20
> seconds at a time. Also it is a hog on resources (i.e. memory,hard disk
> space etc..and takes about a day and a half to compile and install.

> So what I am looking for is advice on a stable browser that will work
> faster, is more lightweight, and is able to compile/install in less time
> with less headaches (make and make install processes work the first time)
> and open pages much more quickly, and has many, if not more features,
> plug-ins etc..

IMO, the only truly useful alternative to netscape7/mozilla/galeon these
days, is lynx. It's a great alternative when you just want to open a
page quickly to read or download, and when you do come across a web page
that relys on graphics or javascript, you can always paste the URL into
your least-hated monstrous graphical browser.

--
Frederick

best browser for NetBSD/Sparc/KDE

Post by Andreas Wies » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:32:46

Attribution-_Line_, IIRC :)

[snip... alternative browser for NetBSD/sparc]

Quote:

> IMO, the only truly useful alternative to netscape7/mozilla/galeon these
> days, is lynx. It's a great alternative when you just want to open a
> page quickly to read or download, and when you do come across a web page
> that relys on graphics or javascript, you can always paste the URL into
> your least-hated monstrous graphical browser.

w3m-img: It displays frames, images (when used in an xterm) and you
can use a mouse :)

Regards,

awiese
--
Eight reasons, why it is better to be a man:
  6. You get more money for the same work.

Post by Jan Schauman » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:46:00

> > IMO, the only truly useful alternative to netscape7/mozilla/galeon these
> > days, is lynx.
>  w3m-img: It displays frames, images (when used in an xterm) and you
>  can use a mouse :)

I'll throw in links!

And for images and all that nonsense, I'll toss in phoenix^Wfirebird.

-Jan

--
http://www.netmeister.org

http://www.netbsd.org -
         Multiarchitecture OS, no hype required.

Post by Telnes » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:41:18

> > > IMO, the only truly useful alternative to netscape7/mozilla/galeon
these
> > > days, is lynx.

> >  w3m-img: It displays frames, images (when used in an xterm) and you
> >  can use a mouse :)

> I'll throw in links!

> And for images and all that nonsense, I'll toss in phoenix^Wfirebird.

> -Jan

...and then there's dillo. Doesn't do frames, https, ftp, (yet?), but it is
a genuine graphical browser rather than text-mode plus graphics like
w3m-img. Downside is that v0.6.6nb1 seemed more stable on NetBSD/sparc than
the current 0.72. Upside: it's very fast when running, it loads quickly and
it can be compiled quickly. Mozilla takes about two days to build on an
SS4/110....