NetBSD Box as gateway/ IP Masquerading?

Post by Anonymo » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Can somebody help?  I'm very new to UNIX/Linux/NetBSD and I'm learning a
lot FAST, but getting info has been slow.

I have a MacSE/30 running NetBSD.
There are two (three?) things I'd like to be able to do with it.

1.  Make a PPP connection to it from another Macintosh using a serial cable.
    (I've been able to make a standard terminal connection)

2.  Dial up my ISP with the Linux box via a PPP connection.

3.  Do both at the same time!
    (Is this IP masquerading on my home LAN?)

I've found a lot of information but it's all been in the Linux Groups.  It
seems to be similar, but not quite the same.

I think I need help setting up Networking, Machine names, IP addresses, etc.
The Man page on PPPd is extensive, but I'm not sure how a lot of this
shold be setup to do what I want.

At the bookstore all I can find are books on Win'95 and Linux.
Dozens of HOWTO's are in the Linux groups, but very little for NetBSD.
Does anybody have a good source of info?  I'm learning this from scratch.

Please post replys.
Thanks

Sorry 'bout the anonymous remailer              .net

unberable.                         fisch

NetBSD Box as gateway/ IP Masquerading?

Post by Bob Nest » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Can somebody help?  I'm very new to UNIX/Linux/NetBSD and I'm learning a
>lot FAST, but getting info has been slow.

[questions snipped ...]

>At the bookstore all I can find are books on Win'95 and Linux.
>Dozens of HOWTO's are in the Linux groups, but very little for NetBSD.
>Does anybody have a good source of info?  I'm learning this from scratch.

>Please post replys.
>Thanks

>Sorry 'bout the anonymous remailer              .net

>unberable.                         fisch

Yes, there are some excellent sources of information that describe excatly
what you want to do that are geared specifically to NetBSD/mac68k.  But it's
really hard to help you when you don't reply to the E-Mail you've asked for
and continue to post the same questions.  Isn't this a form of SPAM itself?

Post by Fisc » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> >Can somebody help?  I'm very new to UNIX/Linux/NetBSD and I'm learning a
> >lot FAST, but getting info has been slow.

> >At the bookstore all I can find are books on Win'95 and Linux.
> >Dozens of HOWTO's are in the Linux groups, but very little for NetBSD.
> >Does anybody have a good source of info?  I'm learning this from scratch.

> Yes, there are some excellent sources of information that describe excatly
> what you want to do that are geared specifically to NetBSD/mac68k.  But it's
> really hard to help you when you don't reply to the E-Mail you've asked for
> and continue to post the same questions.  Isn't this a form of SPAM itself?

Well, the questions have been a little different, but sorry for not responding.
1.  I think I once asked if I could connect a MacOS and a NetBSD machine
    together using Appletalk/MacIP (netatalk?).  Was told that was not very
    convenient.

2.  Asked about connecting using SLIP/PPP.  A better way to go.

I've been able to logon from the MacOS to NetBSD machine just as a vt-terminal,
but haven't had any luck activating the PPP connection.

I've been reading HOWTO's (mostly from Linux groups), the PPPd man page,
and various UNIX Sysadmin books.   Also, been trying to figure out how to
setup
networking.  Do I try to set up a DNS, or just use a hosts file.  What if
I want to connect to my ISP from the NetBSD machine while telneted to it
from the MacOS machine.

I tried starting pppd on the tty00 port from the master console, and I've
tried logging in from the MacOS machine through the serial port and
activating it from there.

So, I trudge onward.

Thanks,
(oh, I'm posting from home so no anonymous remailer today)
(UCE  - unsolicited commercial email  aka... spam)

--
      \   _                                        .net

     =()()=                           fisch
        U     Aackkk Pthtttt!!!  (Bill D. Cat)

Post by Tee Y » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>>Can somebody help?  I'm very new to UNIX/Linux/NetBSD and I'm learning a
>>lot FAST, but getting info has been slow.

>[questions snipped ...]

>>At the bookstore all I can find are books on Win'95 and Linux.
>>Dozens of HOWTO's are in the Linux groups, but very little for NetBSD.
>>Does anybody have a good source of info?  I'm learning this from scratch.

>>Please post replys.
>>Thanks

>>Sorry 'bout the anonymous remailer              .net

>>unberable.                         fisch

>Yes, there are some excellent sources of information that describe excatly
>what you want to do that are geared specifically to NetBSD/mac68k.  But it's
>really hard to help you when you don't reply to the E-Mail you've asked for
>and continue to post the same questions.  Isn't this a form of SPAM itself?

I'd be interested in these sources of information. URLs pls?

Thanx,

yen
---

http://tyen.home.ml.org/

1. proxy route gateway ip masquerading ip chains ?

2 computers:
computer1: internet access trough cable modem. Red Hat6.0. i get
assigned an ip address from my provider automatically.

computer2: win98 with modem

I want to go on the internet using my connection on computer1.
So i dial in to computer1 (so far it works).
But then what: how do i configure the lin and the win machine?

piet

2. XF86 and "generic" monitor

3. IP protocols 50/51 through ip masquerading linux box ?

4. Anyone doing database engine project under Linux ?

5. Access Internet from Win95 box using Solaris 2.4 box as IP gateway

6. Loosing my gateway!

7. how to make a freebsd box use a gateway, NOT make the box a gateway!

8. How to create a bootable CD?

9. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

10. Can NetBSD do IP masquerading?

11. IP Masquerading for NetBSD

12. IP Masquerading with NetBSD 1.3.3?

13. Change gateway ip adress, no more masquerading ?