Network card device timeout during NetBSD install

Network card device timeout during NetBSD install

Post by Frank O'Donne » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

This morning I attempted to install NetBSD 1.0 on my 486DX2-66 desktop PC.
For convenience we ftp'd the binaries from ftp.netbsd.org to a Sun SPARC 20
on our local network so that we could transfer the files by NFS or by faster,
local ftp.

When NetBSD booted with the install diskettes, it reported my NE2000+ network
card as ed2 at 0x300 and IRQ 10.  Partitioning of the hard disk went ok.

I then used "ifconfig 123.456.78.9" to set an IP address for the card, which
also returned no errors.  However, when I then tried to use either ftp or
an NFS mount, either one produced the error message "ed2: device timeout".
I tried this all a couple of times in a row, attempting both ftp and NFS,
and coldbooting the network card, all with the same results.

The only thing I can think of if that the IRQ might be non-standard as far
as what NetBSD expects; however, I don't see anything in the INSTALL doc
that covers feeding it a different value.

Can anyone suggest any possible relief for this problem?  Thanks for any
help!

Frank

Post by Curt Samps » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

>When NetBSD booted with the install diskettes, it reported my NE2000+ network
>card as ed2 at 0x300 and IRQ 10.

Your card is definitely at address 0x300, then, but you've either not
got a cable plugged in or it's not at IRQ 10. The probe doesn't detect
the IRQ the card is not, it just assumes that it's whatever IRQ was set
along with that address in the config file.

Change the IRQ on your card to 10 and it should work.

Other configurations you can try, if your card doesn't use IRQ 10, are
addresses 0x250 or 0x280 at IRQ 9 (also known as IRQ 2).

cjs
--

Internet Portal Services, Ltd.     Beside the willow'd river bank
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400     Repose I, still and thinking...