netbsd-386 first time install help

Post by Alex Scot » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

hello there.

ive been using netbsd-amiga for quite a while, but recently went out and
bought a pentium to run the thing on.  the specs are as follows:

ASUS motherboard with 133mhz pentium and 256k pipeline burst cache
1 gig seagate ide drive
32 megs RAM
#9 GXE64Pro

this is the first pc i've owned, so i may not be up to par with the
idiosycracies of this hardware.  i read through the netbsd-i386 install docs
several times, and put everything on the irq number that it asked for
(except the ide controller.. i couldnt figure out how to change the irq for it
could it possibly be at the wrong irq?  its built into the mb...)
but when i try to boot from the install floppy, i'm having problems.

after about a line or 2 of text, the message is:
"Error: C:0 H:1 S:0"  repeated as ininitum.

what gives?  i bought this hardware specifically to run netbsd, so please
dont tell me it wont work.

thanks a lot,
-alex scotti

Post by Manuel Bouy » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

> hello there.

> after about a line or 2 of text, the message is:
> "Error: C:0 H:1 S:0"  repeated as ininitum.

Sounds like your floppy has a bad sector. Did you try another one ?
Also, are you sure that your floppy drive works ? At this point,
the loader still uses the bios to read the disk.

--
Manuel Bouyer, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Techniques Avancees, Paris

--

Post by Jan Muelle » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

> > hello there.

> > after about a line or 2 of text, the message is:
> > "Error: C:0 H:1 S:0"  repeated as ininitum.

i had a problem with my umc7286 equipped EIDE-Adapter.
A lot of softerrors while reading the floppy occured.
Switching to an old IDE-Adapter solved the problem.

Jan.

netbsd-386 first time install help

Post by Matthias Schele » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Alex Scotti wrote in comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc about "netbsd-386 first time
install help":

Quote:> after about a line or 2 of text, the message is:
> "Error: C:0 H:1 S:0"  repeated as ininitum.

Check your BIOS settings for something like "Floppy 3 mode" (or simular)
and disable it.

--
Matthias Scheler

1. Mounting NetBSD-386 partitions

I've been trying to setup netbsd-386 on a second hard drive
on my machine.

Linux with the "ufs" module seems to allow a mount.
However, "ls" on the mounted partition gives an error.

Help?

I'm doing

mount -t ufs -o ro /dev/hdb4 /mnt

( hdb4 is all that shows up with fdisk )

Clarence Wilkerson

2. adding ssl/tls support to daemon..anyone interested?

3. NetBSD 386 & Install problems under OS2 Bootmanager

4. Dialing into Linux box

5. first time installing, need help with partitioning and install

6. Determining age of a user's password?

7. netBSD 386

8. Make a game in Xwin

9. named problem on netbsd 386?

10. Disklabel a pmax-disk with NetBSD/386 ?

11. 'rz' for NetBSD 1.1 (386)?

12. HELP NetBSD 1.1 first installed

13. newbie can't install on 386- help.