SUN 3/60 questions...

Post by Bria » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi All:

I just got a SUN 3/60 running NetBSD 1.4 diskless from a
Linux server  and it was lots of fun.

I downloaded and installed the pkgsrc system - very cool.

My problem is that NetBSD for the SUN 3/60 doesn't recognize
the cursor keys (arrow keys) so using anything that requires
them is a problem. e.g. lynx, vi, mc etc.

Is there some sort of keyboard remapping utility I have to
fire up or configure?

Would also like to enable the multiple virtual consoles that
I love on Linux. <Alt><F1>, <Alt><F2> etc.

Any suggestions?

Also, when I telnet onto another machine on the network,
they don't recognize the default terminal type "sun" so I
can't run much on them.

Any sources of information are welcome.

I also welcome any suggestions or courses of action that
will aid me in my NetBSD education - I am an avid Linux user
and a reluctant W98 abuser so point me in the right
direction please.

Best regards,

Brian

SUN 3/60 questions...

Post by Shaw Terwillige » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I just got a SUN 3/60 running NetBSD 1.4 diskless from a
> Linux server  and it was lots of fun.

I did a similar thing with a 4/110 and a Linux server.
I've moved the Sun into my living room, so I have a 19" X
terminal at my couch.  :)

I'm using NetBSD 1.3.3--the 1.4 kernel pulls a data fault
as it execs init.

Quote:> My problem is that NetBSD for the SUN 3/60 doesn't recognize
> the cursor keys (arrow keys) so using anything that requires
> them is a problem. e.g. lynx, vi, mc etc.

Are you running X, or is this machine not capable of doing
so?  I find xkeycaps (a graphical front-end to xmodmap) is
great for rebinding keys to do good things (with Sun type-3
keyboards there's a bit of rebinding to do).

Quote:> Would also like to enable the multiple virtual consoles that
> I love on Linux. <Alt><F1>, <Alt><F2> etc.

I'd like those too, but I haven't done much digging around
for details on these things.  The only reason I'm using X
is because I _need_ a few terminals open to do my daily
things.

Quote:> Also, when I telnet onto another machine on the network,
> they don't recognize the default terminal type "sun" so I
> can't run much on them.

My advice would be to choose something like vt100, vt102,
vt220; it seems to work well for me.  If you're using X you
can always specify "xterm".

--
Shaw Terwilliger

1. Question about Sun 3/60

        I have some questions about the sun 3/60 and the opperating
system sunos 4.0
        first If i want to upgrade the operating system to sunos 4.1.1
what is the diffrence between 4.0 and 4.1.1
        second will I be able to run xwin or motif on sunos 4.0 with 16
meg of ram?
        How can i create new users and delete old ones?
        Is it possible to run an alternate operating system on sun 3/60
example AT&T unix/mach?

        well if you answere these questions ill be very greatfull...
Some history about me I got 5 sun 3/60 bought them 2 days ago from a Repo
store i got the 5 workstations 5 mono 20" monitors keybords mouse hard
drive tape back up for less then $700 and now im trying to sort them out....
thanks again ill be posting a lot of other questions im sure.......

                Viken

2. Apache 1.3.9: CGI in user directories

3. Sun display flickering on SunBlade 2000 and Sun Ultra 60 Stations

4. Why do it this way?

5. NetBSD on Sun 3/80 locking up (Re: Sun 3/60)

6. olvwm Open Look -- how to drag and drop?

7. SCSI Ultra 320 HDD on Sun Ultra 60

8. No subject was specified.

9. REPOST: What is a Sun 3/60?

10. Sun 3/60 X-Terminal From Linux?? Possible??

11. Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

12. LINUX & SUN 3/60's

13. X-Windows on SUN 3/60