How do you install NetBSD on a MacPPC?

Post by Juliu » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Could someone tell me how to create a bootable floppy disk for intalling
NetBSD on a MacPPC?  The install document dosen't provide much
information on this.  I presume I need to create a bootable floppy disk
with the boot.fs file but I have no idea how it's done.  Tried using
Disk Copy but it won't take it cos it's not an image file.  Appreciate
any help on this.  Thanks.

Julius

How do you install NetBSD on a MacPPC?

Post by Chris Trib » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

4/18/00 10:33 AM wrote something like:

Quote:> Could someone tell me how to create a bootable floppy disk for intalling
> NetBSD on a MacPPC?  The install document dosen't provide much
> information on this.  I presume I need to create a bootable floppy disk
> with the boot.fs file but I have no idea how it's done.  Tried using
> Disk Copy but it won't take it cos it's not an image file.  Appreciate
> any help on this.  Thanks.

> Julius

    Hmm, I think I actually got Disk Copy 6.1 to read and write the image no
problem, but I don't recall if it worked correctly or not. What you need is
Suntar 2.2.2 from your nearest Info-Mac archive. http://www.info-mac.com
The documentation that comes with it is pretty shotty, so going from memory
you need to:

Preferences: turn on "Expert Mode"
File: Open device: Floppy (usually "swim" or .SONY if by device drivers)
File: Initialize
Special: Overwrite sectors
    accept the default sector 0 and guide Suntar to boot.fs in the
navigation dialog that appears. Click OK and you should be off. When it
completes writing:
File: eject

    Then reboot your computer into OpenFirmware (by holding down
Command-Option-O-F all at the same time while the startup chime is playing)
If you are not greeted by a white screen with blah blah blah "0 > ok" you
either didn't make into OpenFirmware or you may need to alter OpenFirmware
settings. If you do get to the white screen, you should be able to just
insert the floppy and type boot fd:0 or boot fd:netbsd.ecoff IIRC, this is
all dependent on what type of machine you are running and what version of OF
is on it. If it doesn't boot, try entering the same command four or five
times, sometimes OF doesn't get the timing quite right and occasionally
misses on loading from floppy. I've seen this on my Beige G3/DT/233 OF
2.0f1.

    Chris

1. HOW-TO install NetBSD/macppc

I've finished the HOW-TO install NetBSD/macppc when the install programm
crashes and you have to do everything yourself, including editing the
disklabel with ed and installing the boostrap code. It did it to me, so
it might do it to others as well.

You can get this document at

http://www.hcpnet.fr.eu.org:8080/macbsd/macppc.html

Please tell me if there is any error or mistakes. There might be a few
english mistakes, I'm not a native speaker.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus

2. Removing LILO boot loader

3. NetBSD/macppc: how to make the boot floppy?

4. help me raid problem

5. NetBSD 1.4.1 macppc OF boot problem.

6. Bug tracking in the run up from 2.5 to 2.6

7. Xfree NetBSD/macppc PB2400c

8. Where can I find proxy servers?

9. NetBSD 1.6 macppc boot problem

10. Netbsd/macppc 1.6 root device?

11. State of NetBSD/macppc for iMac????

12. NetBSD-current boot floppies? (macppc)

13. ofwboot install panic trap type 200 on 3.0/macppc on a G4 350 PCI