Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:24:30

Hi,

I have a pc with 80486DX4/100, 16MB RAM and 1.6GB HD. Recently installed
NetBSD 1.6.1 and downloaded pkgsrc. As I want to install samba for use
with webmin, I went to the samba-directory in pkgsrc, and did 'make'.
Now, after many hours of building and compiling it stops with this:

.
.
.
Compiling msdfs/msfs,c
uvm_fault(0xc0684820, 0x800000, 0, 1) -> e
kernel: page fault trap, code=0
Stopped in pid3 (pagedaemon) at         pmap_change_attrs+0xb4: movl
x4(%ebx), %edx
db>

What has happened here?

Thank you

Huub

Error in installing samba

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:27:16

Quote:

> I have a pc with 80486DX4/100, 16MB RAM and 1.6GB HD. Recently installed
> NetBSD 1.6.1 and downloaded pkgsrc. As I want to install samba for use
> with webmin, I went to the samba-directory in pkgsrc, and did 'make'.
> Now, after many hours of building and compiling it stops with this:
> .
> .
> Compiling msdfs/msfs,c
> uvm_fault(0xc0684820, 0x800000, 0, 1) -> e
> kernel: page fault trap, code=0
> Stopped in pid3 (pagedaemon) at            pmap_change_attrs+0xb4: movl
> x4(%ebx), %edx
> db>

Either the computer overheated and crashed, or ran out of swap and
crashed, or had too many locked pages and crashed. In any case, in
order to effectively run NetBSD with only 16mb, you'll want to make
a kernel that's as small as possible --at least try GENERIC_TINY --
and make sure you have plenty of swap. I suggest at least ~200mb.

I believe it should be possible to run samba with 16mb, and (probably)
to build it, too. I ran a 486DX4 NFS server with only 16mb for a month
or so, and it was slow, but reliable. It's really important to keep
the kernel small, because the kernel can't be paged, and if half the
memory or more is locked down by the kernel, there's just nothing to
work with. Also use a lightweight shell, like the included "(pd)ksh".
"bash" or other shells from pkgsrc are too bulky. Another thing: don't
try to use an mfs "/tmp". With a single 1.6gb drive, I would just make
a single root & usr file system.

It might also help, when you're doing a big job (like compiling samba),
to shut down to single user mode so there's no other programs competing
for memory.

UBC in current actually makes better use of small amounts of memory
(said NFS server was running 1.6P or something), but 16mb is outside
the limit where the defaults make sense. When or if you do upgrade
to current, it would be best to add

  vm.execmin=10

to "/etc/sysctl.conf" *before* you upgrade, otherwise you'll have a
really painful hour or two of watching your computer thrash itself
to pieces before you get your first single-user shell where you can
finally run "sysctl". (I speak from experience.)

--
Frederick

Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:28:22

Quote:> Either the computer overheated and crashed, or ran out of swap and
> crashed, or had too many locked pages and crashed. In any case, in
> order to effectively run NetBSD with only 16mb, you'll want to make
> a kernel that's as small as possible --at least try GENERIC_TINY --
> and make sure you have plenty of swap. I suggest at least ~200mb.

I tried to install NetBSD the same way as I did with OpenBSD and FreeBSD
but it said the disk was too small. So I had it partitioned
automatically. I don't remember how large the partitions were made.

Quote:> I believe it should be possible to run samba with 16mb, and (probably)
> to build it, too. I ran a 486DX4 NFS server with only 16mb for a month
> or so, and it was slow, but reliable

The system (console only) is intended to learn NetBSD.

. It's really important to keep

Quote:> the kernel small, because the kernel can't be paged, and if half the
> memory or more is locked down by the kernel, there's just nothing to
> work with. Also use a lightweight shell, like the included "(pd)ksh".
> "bash" or other shells from pkgsrc are too bulky. Another thing: don't
> try to use an mfs "/tmp". With a single 1.6gb drive, I would just make
> a single root & usr file system.

I think it was created like that.

Quote:

> It might also help, when you're doing a big job (like compiling samba),
> to shut down to single user mode so there's no other programs competing
> for memory.

Is there a way to install samba without using pkgsrc? Like packages?
Something like samba....tgz, which can be installed using pkg_add?

Error in installing samba

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:12:54

> Is there a way to install samba without using pkgsrc? Like packages?
> Something like samba....tgz, which can be installed using pkg_add?

ftp://ftp.nl.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6.1/i386/net/samba-2.2....

Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:01:58

>>Is there a way to install samba without using pkgsrc? Like packages?
>>Something like samba....tgz, which can be installed using pkg_add?

> ftp://ftp.nl.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6.1/i386/net/samba-2.2....

Thank you. Found it now; reason for asking was that I somehow could not
find it. Guess I looked at a wrong place. I assume this works just as
well as an install from pkgsrc.

Error in installing samba

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:43:23

> Thank you. Found it now; reason for asking was that I somehow could not
> find it. Guess I looked at a wrong place. I assume this works just as
> well as an install from pkgsrc.

Download it to /tmp.  Install it with

# pkg_add /tmp/samba-2.2.8a.tgz

If Samba has dependencies on other packages, then download and install
them, too, in a similar manner.

Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:58:15

>>Thank you. Found it now; reason for asking was that I somehow could not
>>find it. Guess I looked at a wrong place. I assume this works just as
>>well as an install from pkgsrc.

> Download it to /tmp.  Install it with

> # pkg_add /tmp/samba-2.2.8a.tgz

> If Samba has dependencies on other packages, then download and install
> them, too, in a similar manner.

I got samba and readline (dependancy) installed. But perl-5.8.0.tgz
refuses to install. It comes with the message that it can find enough
temporary space to extract the file. It says it needs at least 40MB free
space, while 'df' tells me the system has 1.18GB free. Partitions are
set as 50MB '/' and 1.4GB '/usr'. Rest is swap. I tried to find info on
PKG_TMPDIR as it's referring to that in the message, but can't find any
except other messages about problems with it. Can you tell me where I
can find it?

Error in installing samba

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:18:38

> I got samba and readline (dependancy) installed. But perl-5.8.0.tgz
> refuses to install. It comes with the message that it can find enough
> temporary space to extract the file. It says it needs at least 40MB free
> space, while 'df' tells me the system has 1.18GB free. Partitions are
> set as 50MB '/' and 1.4GB '/usr'. Rest is swap. I tried to find info on
> PKG_TMPDIR as it's referring to that in the message, but can't find any
> except other messages about problems with it. Can you tell me where I
> can find it?

Huub, you have been playing with various versions of Unix long enough by
now to -know- where to find such answers :-(

man pkg_add, since that was the command you executed and resulted in the
error.

     pkg_add extracts each package's "packing list" into a special staging di-
     rectory in /var/tmp (or $PKG_TMPDIR if set) and then runs through the
     following sequence to fully extract the contents of the package:

Does this not tell you to either set $PKG_TMPDIR in your environment or to
remove the /var/tmp directory and symlink it to someplace where enough
space is available?

Error in installing samba

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:05:01

Quote:

> I got samba and readline (dependancy) installed. But perl-5.8.0.tgz
> refuses to install. It comes with the message that it can find enough
> temporary space to extract the file. It says it needs at least 40MB free
> space, while 'df' tells me the system has 1.18GB free. Partitions are
> set as 50MB '/' and 1.4GB '/usr'.

Man, I hate when that happens. FYI, the current installer recommends a
single / and /usr by default. Sure, you'd be wise to partition a 100gb
disk, if you have one, but 50mb partitions are just absurd.

Quote:> Rest is swap. I tried to find info on
> PKG_TMPDIR as it's referring to that in the message, but can't find any
> except other messages about problems with it. Can you tell me where I
> can find it?

As Dave said, pkg_add(1). ;-)

--
Frederick

Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:33:07

>>I got samba and readline (dependancy) installed. But perl-5.8.0.tgz
>>refuses to install. It comes with the message that it can find enough
>>temporary space to extract the file. It says it needs at least 40MB free
>>space, while 'df' tells me the system has 1.18GB free. Partitions are
>>set as 50MB '/' and 1.4GB '/usr'. Rest is swap. I tried to find info on
>>PKG_TMPDIR as it's referring to that in the message, but can't find any
>>except other messages about problems with it. Can you tell me where I
>>can find it?

> Huub, you have been playing with various versions of Unix long enough by
> now to -know- where to find such answers :-(

> man pkg_add, since that was the command you executed and resulted in the
> error.

>      pkg_add extracts each package's "packing list" into a special staging di-
>      rectory in /var/tmp (or $PKG_TMPDIR if set) and then runs through the
>      following sequence to fully extract the contents of the package:

> Does this not tell you to either set $PKG_TMPDIR in your environment or to
> remove the /var/tmp directory and symlink it to someplace where enough
> space is available?

Ok. I was looking at PKG_TMPDIR rather then 'man pkg_add'. Sorry.

Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:33:40

>>I got samba and readline (dependancy) installed. But perl-5.8.0.tgz
>>refuses to install. It comes with the message that it can find enough
>>temporary space to extract the file. It says it needs at least 40MB free
>>space, while 'df' tells me the system has 1.18GB free. Partitions are
>>set as 50MB '/' and 1.4GB '/usr'.

> Man, I hate when that happens. FYI, the current installer recommends a
> single / and /usr by default. Sure, you'd be wise to partition a 100gb
> disk, if you have one, but 50mb partitions are just absurd.

>>Rest is swap. I tried to find info on
>>PKG_TMPDIR as it's referring to that in the message, but can't find any
>>except other messages about problems with it. Can you tell me where I
>>can find it?

> As Dave said, pkg_add(1). ;-)

Yup. Thank you.

Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:50:53

>>I got samba and readline (dependancy) installed. But perl-5.8.0.tgz
>>refuses to install. It comes with the message that it can find enough
>>temporary space to extract the file. It says it needs at least 40MB free
>>space, while 'df' tells me the system has 1.18GB free. Partitions are
>>set as 50MB '/' and 1.4GB '/usr'.

> Man, I hate when that happens. FYI, the current installer recommends a
> single / and /usr by default. Sure, you'd be wise to partition a 100gb
> disk, if you have one, but 50mb partitions are just absurd.

>>Rest is swap. I tried to find info on
>>PKG_TMPDIR as it's referring to that in the message, but can't find any
>>except other messages about problems with it. Can you tell me where I
>>can find it?

> As Dave said, pkg_add(1). ;-)

BTW, I reinstalled the pc, changing '/' to 150MB, as 'df /var/tmp'
showed 31MB being on the '/' partition. Reading 'man pkg_add' didn't
answer the question where I could find /var/tmp. Thought it was on the
/usr. Hence the problem, which seems to be solved now.

Error in installing samba

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:51:20

> BTW, I reinstalled the pc, changing '/' to 150MB, as 'df /var/tmp'
> showed 31MB being on the '/' partition. Reading 'man pkg_add' didn't
> answer the question where I could find /var/tmp. Thought it was on the
> /usr. Hence the problem, which seems to be solved now.

That is the Windoze method of solving problems.

You could have found /var/tmp by simply executing

# ls /var

Why you would think that /var/tmp is on the /usr partition is utterly
incomprehensible.  You did not create a /var partition during your
installation; hence /var resides on the / partition, and /var/tmp can be
found there.

The problem could have been solved by merely executing the commands:

# mkdir /usr/tmp
# setenv PKG_TMPDIR /usr/tmp

This, of course, presumes that you did not change root's default shell.
Did you?

Error in installing samba

Post by Huub » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:09:15

Quote:> That is the Windoze method of solving problems.

Well, I'm very well aware of the fact that I'm going through a learning
phase. And yes, I'm coming from a Windows environment.

Quote:> Why you would think that /var/tmp is on the /usr partition is utterly
> incomprehensible.

Well, I'm learning by doing and correcting made mistakes and wrong
assumptions is a way. I'm sure it all came to you very naturally.

You did not create a /var partition during your

Quote:> installation; hence /var resides on the / partition, and /var/tmp can be
> found there.

> The problem could have been solved by merely executing the commands:

> # mkdir /usr/tmp
> # setenv PKG_TMPDIR /usr/tmp

Thank you..
Quote:

> This, of course, presumes that you did not change root's default shell.
> Did you?

Change root's default shell? Why?

Error in installing samba

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:35:15

> Well, I'm learning by doing and correcting made mistakes and wrong
> assumptions is a way. I'm sure it all came to you very naturally.

Hardly.  But the transition from CP/M to MS-DOS was trivial because MS-DOS
was a direct source code copy of CP/M.  The transition from MS-DOS to
Linux was greatly facilitated by this:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html

Going from Linux to the BSDs and real Unices was hardly trivial, but the
man pages in those OSs are generally reliable.

Quote:> Change root's default shell? Why?

CSH has its problems, and you are somewhat familiar with bash since you
use Linux, too.  The very first thing I added to NetBSD when I installed
it was a static-linked bash.  Using the same shell, when it's available,
in every OS makes things much easier.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

1. setup.ins error when installing OO in 5.0-REL

I just recently compiled OpenOffice 1.0.2 from ports (vs the package because I
want WITH_TTF_BYTECODE_ENABLED). The make worked fine, but when I do a make
install-user, I get the error about not being able to find setup.ins in
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0/program/. I searched for this error but all the
info I found was old, regarding manual patches (which probably don't work
anymore with current versions) and stuff about it appearing if you're using a
FreeBSD older than 4.6 and to upgrade.

Any idea why this message would be occuring with 5.0-REL?

2. SCSI tape works, but won't stream...

3. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

4. X Headerfiles

5. Difference between Installing from Ins Svr and Boot Svr?

6. dpms problem and power saving

7. Samba install error - undefined symbol in libreadline

9. samba install/run error

10. Samba install errors

11. ipmasqadm install error and ip masq icq install error

12. samba install from samba source?

13. Use the Samba included in Solaris 9 or install more recent Samba?