NetBSD with PCI bus?

Post by Kevin Kad » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Does anybody have experience with NetBSD using PCI interface cards
(ethernet,SCSI)? I know the INSTALL file lists an NCR PCI SCSI board as
supported.

This is for a Usenet News server...

I'm currently running on an EISA DX50 motherboard with an Adaptec 1742
EISA SCSI card and a SMC Elite ISA ethernet card. If I want to upgrade
to a pentium motherboard, the only affordable boards are ISA/PCI, which
means I'd have to switch to PCI since it can't handle my existing controller.

Has anybody tried this? How does PCI compare to EISA?
--

                 Yes, I do speak for MSG.Net -- http://msg.net/
S: Are you aiming for those people?

NetBSD with PCI bus?

Post by Gary E. Gra » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Does anybody have experience with NetBSD using PCI interface cards
>(ethernet,SCSI)? I know the INSTALL file lists an NCR PCI SCSI board as
>supported.

>This is for a Usenet News server...

>I'm currently running on an EISA DX50 motherboard with an Adaptec 1742
>EISA SCSI card and a SMC Elite ISA ethernet card. If I want to upgrade
>to a pentium motherboard, the only affordable boards are ISA/PCI, which
>means I'd have to switch to PCI since it can't handle my existing controller.

>Has anybody tried this? How does PCI compare to EISA?
>--

I am running Netbsd with P90 PCI/ISA Intel Bd.. It has been working for
the last few months... I have another PCI motherboard, that has the OPTI
chipset, that will not boot NetBSD, seems there is a problem with the PCI
Bridge chips not being recognized....

Gary :-)

P.S. If you are thinking of going to PCI make sure that the bridge chip
is supported... Not all PCI motherboards were created equal....

NetBSD with PCI bus?

Post by Rick Mackl » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >Does anybody have experience with NetBSD using PCI interface cards
: >(ethernet,SCSI)? I know the INSTALL file lists an NCR PCI SCSI board as
: >supported.
: >
: >This is for a Usenet News server...
: >
: >I'm currently running on an EISA DX50 motherboard with an Adaptec 1742
: >EISA SCSI card and a SMC Elite ISA ethernet card. If I want to upgrade
: >to a pentium motherboard, the only affordable boards are ISA/PCI, which
: >means I'd have to switch to PCI since it can't handle my existing controller.
: >
: >Has anybody tried this? How does PCI compare to EISA?
: >--
: I am running Netbsd with P90 PCI/ISA Intel Bd.. It has been working for
: the last few months... I have another PCI motherboard, that has the OPTI
: chipset, that will not boot NetBSD, seems there is a problem with the PCI
: Bridge chips not being recognized....

: Gary :-)

: P.S. If you are thinking of going to PCI make sure that the bridge chip
: is supported... Not all PCI motherboards were created equal....

I tried an Opti P90 motherboard and it only worked with the external
cache disabled (but I have two P90 motherboards here that work fine
with an NCS53C810, one with an Intel motherboard chipset and the other
with an SiS chipset).

rick

NetBSD with PCI bus?

Post by Angus Marsha » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Does anybody have experience with NetBSD using PCI interface cards
> (ethernet,SCSI)? I know the INSTALL file lists an NCR PCI SCSI board as
> supported.

> This is for a Usenet News server...

> I'm currently running on an EISA DX50 motherboard with an Adaptec 1742
> EISA SCSI card and a SMC Elite ISA ethernet card. If I want to upgrade
> to a pentium motherboard, the only affordable boards are ISA/PCI, which
> means I'd have to switch to PCI since it can't handle my existing controller.

> Has anybody tried this? How does PCI compare to EISA?

It took us 3 months to get a working PCI system. We had MAJOR problems with
the motherboard. BEWARE, not every manufacturer's PCI implementation is
compatible. OTOH, when it works it seems to give pretty good performance.

Our DX4/100 with PCI/SCSI2 is running fast enough at the moment. (Though
something keeps causing it to slow to a standstill periodically)

--
        _________          | Angus M. Marshall, Dept. of Math & Comp Sci.,
       |         |         | University of Abertay Dundee, Bell St., Dundee
 ___  _|____=___ |_  ___   | DD1 1HG  U.K.         Vox: (+44) (1382) 308600
/   \(_)         (_)/   \  |                       Fax: (+44) (1382) 308877
|`-'|o|  _______  |o|`-'|  | http://www.tay.ac.uk/mcsweb/staff/amm/
|   |/| (_______) |\|   |  | The Psi corps is your friend. Trust the Corps
|___|--\_________/--|___|  | Real coffee, real cars, real fun.

1. PCI bus vs. S-bus

Could someone point me to some comparisons between the PCI and S bus?  I'm
interested in the difference in I/O performance and so on.

I've heard that Sun is moving toward PCI and leaving the S-Bus.  What is
their plan for things like Solstice x.25 and the HSI card that runs on the
S-bus?  I haven't been able to find a Sun equivalent for that card,
speed-wise, for the PCI bus.  Any suggestions?

--
AA

2. Yellow Dog Linux

3. VL-Bus Vs. PCI bus

4. Pnews

5. Tuning PCI latency/max_grant or priority settings on Sun Blade 150 PCI-bus

6. UDMA

7. "PCI BIOS passed nonexistant PCI bus 0"

8. java/40677: J2SDK 1.4.0.01 fails to do anything when executed from normal user modej

9. hauppauge wintv pci fm - sound over pci bus

10. Does a 4422 pci cards really need a 66 Mhz PCI bus ?

11. 3 PCI buses, not all found in /proc/pci or lspci, but scanpci sees

12. Dosemu on a PCI bus with a PCI video card

13. 3 PCI buses, not all found in /proc/pci or lspci, but scanpci sees all