MacBSD

Post by Not Authenticate » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having problems installing MacBSD onto my Mac II ci. I've read the
FAQ, yet still no luck.

My problems occur when booting. I have installed :

netbsd11
base11
etc11
comp11

& "built devices"

I am on using a single "Root & Usr" partion (set up with apple HDsetup
Utility) of 38 MB plus a 3 MB swap file (I know its small but it all
seems to fit on). Yet when booting I get the prompt:

enter pathname for shell or RETURN for sh:

Upon hitting RETURN (or anything else!) I get the message:

panic: Kernel jump to zero

and the whole thing crashes, leaving me with a Mac I have to reboot. I
understand there is a patch for the MacBSD1.1 kernel, but I cannot use
this patch until I have installed the system.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this problem, or why even
it is occuring ?

Many thanks...

Dan

--
Daniel Meacham

MacBSD

Post by jcar » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> and the whole thing crashes, leaving me with a Mac I have to reboot. I
> understand there is a patch for the MacBSD1.1 kernel, but I cannot use
> this patch until I have installed the system.

> Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this problem, or why even
> it is occuring ?

> Many thanks...

> Dan

> --
> Daniel Meacham

I had the same problem Seems netbsd 1.1 for the mac IIci doesn't
correctly protect the memory used for video I think. I suspect
that is the case because when I changed the color depth in the
monitor control panel to 1bit( that is not just to black & white
but literally by going into the option where it lets you allocate
less ram for video, then it boots ok. Still, after awhile it
hangs. * things like VM faults and whatnot. I couldn't untar
gcc which was 28 meg either. kept crashing. Recompiled tar and
was then able to untar all of gcc 2.7.2. Really a pain this problem
considering the mac IIci was one of the greatest mac models ever
produced and that I STILL can't get it to run more that a few minutes
at a time is disappointing - guess I blame apple for thier dorky
reluctance to give us useful information on how thier machines work.
Good luck,
jcarr
ps: where is the patch??????????

--

1. MacBSD printing

I have installed MacBSD 1.0 and it is running fine. I would like to be able to
print to my HP Deskwriter which does not have appletalk. Is this possible? Can
someone tell me how to set it up on the printer port of a Mac IIci. Thanks.

Tim B.

2. Turbo Charge Your Pager.!!!!

3. MacBSD question

4. Floating Exception & Netscape

5. MacBSD on Performa400 / LC II

6. Netscape takes down X11

7. macBSD

8. Kppp/Network - weird problem

9. SLIP with MacBSD ?

10. MacBSD X11R6 distribution

11. Mounting msdos 3gig SCSI on MacBSD 1.1

12. Trouble installing macBSD

13. 68040 MacBSD?