Name of Network interface?

Post by Marce » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:34:48

Hi all,

I've just been messing around with NetBSD and did a succesfull install
on a virtual PC. The system boots and I can log into the console.

Now I want to configure my nic but I don't know the name of the interface.
Anybody knows a way how to find that name??

I tried:

ifconfig ex0
ifconfig eth0
ifconfig bge0
and get this as an answer: ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS bge0: Device not
configured

The nic is compatible with NetBSD and I can't find anything on netbsd.org

Some info:
NetBSD/i386 1.6 Generic
nic: 3Com 3c996T

tia,
Marcel

Name of Network interface?

Post by Martin Schmit » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:25:27

> Now I want to configure my nic but I don't know the name of the interface.
> Anybody knows a way how to find that name??

Try 'ifconfig -a'. It should be listed there. Otherwise you could read
the output from 'dmesg'. If there is nothing concerning your NIC it is
not known by the kernel.

Martin

Name of Network interface?

Post by Skylar Thompso » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 04:45:58

> Hi all,

> I've just been messing around with NetBSD and did a succesfull install
> on a virtual PC. The system boots and I can log into the console.

> Now I want to configure my nic but I don't know the name of the interface.
> Anybody knows a way how to find that name??

> I tried:

> ifconfig ex0
> ifconfig eth0
> ifconfig bge0
> and get this as an answer: ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS bge0: Device not
> configured

> The nic is compatible with NetBSD and I can't find anything on netbsd.org

> Some info:
> NetBSD/i386 1.6 Generic
> nic: 3Com 3c996T

What does "ifconfig -a" report? That will list all the network interfaces
visible to the system, and you sohuld be able to spot your Ethernet
interface from there.

--

-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

Name of Network interface?

Post by Marce » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:27:59

> What does "ifconfig -a" report? That will list all the network interfaces
> visible to the system, and you sohuld be able to spot your Ethernet
> interface from there.

> --

> -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

This is the output of ifconfig -a:

lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 33220
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 296
sl1: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 296
strip0: flags=0<> mtu 1100
strip1: flags=0<> mtu 1100

ppp = Point to point protocol
sl = serial line??

So I thought that lo0 was my ethernet card, and reconfigured it with:

ifconfig lo0 192.168.9.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

But after the system was rebooted it fallsback to the configuration listed
above, do I have to "save"
the config??

Marcel

Name of Network interface?

Post by Marce » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:36:59

Quote:> Try 'ifconfig -a'. It should be listed there. Otherwise you could read
> the output from 'dmesg'. If there is nothing concerning your NIC it is
> not known by the kernel.

> Martin

I replied concerning the ifconfig output to Skylar Thompson.

I couldn't find anything concerning my nic in the dmesg output (listed
below),
maybe you can.. The nic is a 3com 3c996T server nic and is listed in netbsd'
hardware list as Broadcom BCM570x.

Output dmesg:

NetBSD 1.6 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Sep  8 19:43:40 UTC 2002

pile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel Pentium 4 (686-class), 1125.82 MHz
cpu0: D-cache 8 KB 64b/line 4-way
cpu0: L2 cache 512 KB 64b/line 8-way
cpu0: features 780a17b<FPU,VME,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,CX8>
cpu0: features 780a17b<PGE,CMOV,MMX>
cpu0: features 780a17b<FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
total memory = 65148 KB
avail memory = 53952 KB
using 839 buffers containing 3356 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
isa0 at mainbus0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <CntxCorpHD>
wd0: drive supports 128-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd0: 1023 MB, 2080 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2096640 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
wdc1 at isa0 port 0x170-0x177 irq 15
atapibus0 at wdc1 channel 0: 2 targets
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <CntxCorpCD, , > type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4
vga0 at isa0 port 0x3b0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff
wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378-0x37b irq 7
sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1,5: dsp v4.13
audio0 at sb0: full duplex, mmap, independent
midi0 at sb0: SB MIDI UART
opl0 at sb0: model OPL3
midi1 at opl0: SB Yamaha OPL3
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi2 at pcppi0: PC speaker
sysbeep0 at pcppi0
isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: ISA Plug 'n Play device support
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
opl0 at sb0: model OPL3
midi1 at opl0: SB Yamaha OPL3
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi2 at pcppi0: PC speaker
sysbeep0 at pcppi0
isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: ISA Plug 'n Play device support
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
fd1 at fdc0 drive 1: density unknown
isapnp0: read port 0x203
isapnp0: <Sound Blaster 16, PNPB003, PNPB003, > ignored; resource conflict
joy0 at isapnp0 port 0x201/1
joy0: Game Port
joy0: joystick not connected
biomask ef45 netmask ef45 ttymask ffc7
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 2 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 3 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 4 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
#

Marcel

Name of Network interface?

Post by Martin Schmit » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:55:56

> I couldn't find anything concerning my nic in the dmesg output (listed
> below), maybe you can.. The nic is a 3com 3c996T server nic and is
> listed in netbsd' hardware list as Broadcom BCM570x.

It seems that your NIC isn't recognized by the kernel - and I can't find
any relevant NIC driver that is commented out in
/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC...

Maybe someone else could help? Should this card be recognized by the ex
driver?

Martin

Name of Network interface?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:01:41

>> I couldn't find anything concerning my nic in the dmesg output (listed
>> below), maybe you can.. The nic is a 3com 3c996T server nic and is
>> listed in netbsd' hardware list as Broadcom BCM570x.

> It seems that your NIC isn't recognized by the kernel - and I can't find
> any relevant NIC driver that is commented out in
> /sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC...

> Maybe someone else could help? Should this card be recognized by the ex
> driver?

If that is a PCI NIC, it is not supported:

http://netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html

Name of Network interface?

Post by Marce » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:48:43

Quote:

> If that is a PCI NIC, it is not supported:

> http://netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html

It is a pci nic, and listed at the above link, namely:

a.. Broadcom BCM570x, Altima AC1000, Altima AC1001, and Altima AC9100 based
Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, including 3Com 3c996, NetGear GA-302T,
SysKonnect SK9D2, and on-board Dell server Gigabit Ethernet (bge)

Maybe it isn't recognised because NetBSD is running on a virtual pc??

Name of Network interface?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:07:55

> a.. Broadcom BCM570x, Altima AC1000, Altima AC1001, and Altima AC9100 based
> Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, including 3Com 3c996, NetGear GA-302T,
> SysKonnect SK9D2, and on-board Dell server Gigabit Ethernet (bge)

> Maybe it isn't recognised because NetBSD is running on a virtual pc??

The bge* PCI network interface is included in the GENERIC kernel.
Comment is # Broadcom 570x gigabit Ethernet

Name of Network interface?

Post by Marce » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:07:35

Quote:> Maybe it isn't recognised because NetBSD is running on a virtual pc??

> The bge* PCI network interface is included in the GENERIC kernel.
> Comment is # Broadcom 570x gigabit Ethernet

After some searching I found out that Virtual PC is not transparant to the
guest
OS in this case NetBSD. This means for me that NetBSD doesn't see the 3c996
but a DEC/Intel 21140-A PCI Ethernet controller that is emulated by the
virtual software.

So I looked in the NetBSD hardware list and the emulated nic should be
recognised by the kernel...
How come that the kernel can't see my nic??

Marcel

Name of Network interface?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:37:33

>> Maybe it isn't recognised because NetBSD is running on a virtual pc??

>> The bge* PCI network interface is included in the GENERIC kernel.
>> Comment is # Broadcom 570x gigabit Ethernet

> After some searching I found out that Virtual PC is not transparant to the
> guest
> OS in this case NetBSD. This means for me that NetBSD doesn't see the 3c996
> but a DEC/Intel 21140-A PCI Ethernet controller that is emulated by the
> virtual software.

> So I looked in the NetBSD hardware list and the emulated nic should be
> recognised by the kernel...
> How come that the kernel can't see my nic??

No idea.  I have never run an emulated OS or virtual machine and cannot
see why anyone else would do that.  Hard drives are inexpensive and
multiple OS boot managers are readily available.

Name of Network interface?

Post by Marce » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 03:13:41

Quote:> No idea.  I have never run an emulated OS or virtual machine and cannot
> see why anyone else would do that.  Hard drives are inexpensive and
> multiple OS boot managers are readily available.

Main reason is that I am currently experimenting with NetBSD and don't have
any
hardware to test it on and I don't want to wreck my current system..

Marcel

Name of Network interface?

Post by Ted Spradle » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:08:23

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:34:48 +0200

> Hi all,

> I've just been messing around with NetBSD and did a succesfull install
> on a virtual PC. The system boots and I can log into the console.

> Now I want to configure my nic but I don't know the name of the
> interface. Anybody knows a way how to find that name??

"Virtual"?  You'll have to tell us more about this "virtual" PC.  Just
what sorts of virtual network interfaces do you think it should have?
And why do you think that?

Name of Network interface?

Post by Marce » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:07:12

Quote:> > Hi all,

> > I've just been messing around with NetBSD and did a succesfull install
> > on a virtual PC. The system boots and I can log into the console.

> > Now I want to configure my nic but I don't know the name of the
> > interface. Anybody knows a way how to find that name??

> "Virtual"?  You'll have to tell us more about this "virtual" PC.  Just
> what sorts of virtual network interfaces do you think it should have?
> And why do you think that?

It should emulate a DEC/Intel 21140-A PCI Ethernet controller, I've found
that in the documentation of that program.

Tried it with windows, the emulated nic is then recognised...

1. Renaming internal names of network interfaces

I recall some discussions of MAC address changing, etc., and some of the messages referred to a way of changing the name Linux (and thus anything using SIOGETIF or whatever) uses to refer to an interface. I can't remember any specifics, so I can't find anything in archives :( Could someone please point me in the right direction?

-

By the way, I have 11 binary modules (among them, nvidia's) and my 2.5.7 kernel crashes sometimes. Would you help me debug that? Also, we should rewrite the kernel in C++, convert all 'goto' error handling to C++ Exception handling, localize/internationalize all kernel printk() calls. Half the kernel developers can do that, while the other half switch to a thread-based microkernel architecture. Oh, and it all needs to work nice and smoothly on my 386SX laptop with 4MB RAM, OK?

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE

-

2. AWT Patch for Communicator Linux

3. network interface names ethX and renaming interfaces

4. VPN with ADSL modem in the middle

5. Strange network interface names

6. mount of a flashdisk on a Tadpole Voyager

7. network interface names

8. Motorola 56k modem with linux

9. Finding network-device from interface-name

10. network interface naming rules

11. Forcing Network Interfaces Device Names

12. Determining the network interface name

13. How to list all network interface names ?