Post by Kendall G. Cla » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

I'd like to invite all of you to the May meeting of the North Texas
Linux Users Group, this Saturday, May 17, at 12 noon, at the Dallas
Infomart. That's right, in case you haven't yet heard, NTLUG will now
be meeting at 12 noon at the Infomart.  This new meeting time will
hopefully make it possible for more of you to join us every month. Now
you can tell your spouse, significant other, or your cat that NTLUG is
no longer an all-day affair.  Good luck.

For more information about NTLUG or Linux, please see

        http://www.ntlug.org/

This month we are lucky to have a really exciting presentation. Chris
Parrott, who will begin PhD studies at the University of Illinois in
the Fall, will be making a presentation on using Linux and GNU
software as a total software development environment. His presentation
will examine the way that Emacs, gcc, g++, gdb, and other free tools
can form a powerful platform for software development.

If you have any interest in these issues, please make sure to attend
this meeting. Chris specializes in compiler technology, so he
definitely knows the subject matter.

In case you aren't familiar with NTLUG, the LIP booth is our attempt
to help people who are interested in Linux to install it on their
computers as painlessly as possible. In order to do that, we install
it for you. You can't get more painless than that! The LIP booth can
be found in the Vendors Area at the Infomart. So if you want to run
Linux, bring your computer and no money because Linux is free.

For more information about NTLUG's LIP booth, please see the May issue
of Linux Gazette where it is described in greater detail. Our thanks
to LG's editor, Marjorie Richardson, for including an essay about LIP
in the LG.

We will, as usual, be selling Tri-Linux CDs at the LIP booth starting
at 8:30 a.m. We also now have the capacity at the LIP booth to attempt
MkLinux installations on Macintosh machines, so if you have a Mac and
you want to have the Penguin eat your Apple, come by the booth with
your machine, and we'll see what we can do.

We will also have a really big box full of Linux Journals to give away
at the LIP booth; if you don't already subscribe to LJ, drop by and
pick up a sample copy. It's worth the effort. LJ is a great way to
keep up with Linux and to improve or expand your skills.

I look forward to seeing a lot of you at the meeting on Saturday.

If you have any questions about finding the Infomart, please refer to

        http://www.ntlug.org/cal/

where you will find a link to Infomart's website and a nice map.

Best,

        Kendall Clark, Acting President
        North Texas Linux Users Group
        http://www.ntlug.org/