Post by Laszlo Hercz » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Dear Friends,

The February meeting of the Toronto Linux Users Group will be held
at 7:30 pm at the Swan Building, 5415 Dundas Street West,
on Tuesday, February 25, 1996.

With the dramatic growth of the Internet, and especially the World Wide Web,
the current architecture of the Internet is stressed to its limits. Because
the web operates on the paradigm of a unique source for a given piece
of information which has to be retrieved individually by clients every time
that information is requested, the web does not scale well in today's
network environment. Popular sites bottleneck themselves and/or their network
neighbours.

This meeting will discuss the technical and design issues associated with
running web caches:

- - - How to tell if one should run a cache
- - - The benefits and side effects of caching proxies
- - - What software is available
- - - How to install and tune proxies
- - - Building proxy chains
- - - What efforts are underway to redesign the HTTP protocol
- - - What to do about dynamic pages and cookies

The presenter will be Laszlo Herczeg, who has been operating web
proxies and other caching software since their infancy.

I'd like to take this oppurtunity also to cordially invite you to
visit our new home page which is located at:

   <URL:http://abyss.idirect.com:/tlug/>

Produced and maintained by Michel Afar, this page provides an
excellent starting point for exploring Linux resources on the
Internet and contains pointers to our meetings and other
activities in the Toronto area.

Meeting details follow:

Location:   Suite 207
            5415 Dundas Street West
            Etobicoke

How to Get There:

           By the subway: take the Bloor subway
           to the Kipling station.  The Swan building is
           two blocks west of the Kipling station,
           next to the large "Canadian Tire" plaza.

           For those who are driving, ample and free parking
           is available in the parking lot just south
           of the Swan building.

Everyone is welcome to attend.

        Cheers,
              Laszlo Herczeg

     ***  Ask me about the Toronto Linux Users Group  ***

- --

2. Scoadmin not show printer

4. 2.5.52: compilation fixes for alpha

5. Meeting LOCAL: of the Toronto Linux Users Group

6. PPP performance VERY poor!!!

9. Correction: was "Meeting LOCAL: of the Toronto Linux Users Group