QtIRC 0.20 Beta-2 - GUI IRC client for X, based on Qt

QtIRC 0.20 Beta-2 - GUI IRC client for X, based on Qt

Post by Ken Holli » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

Announcing QtIRC 0.20 Beta 2
The next best thing since sliced IRC!

** RELEASED UNDER GPL **

What it is:

QtIRC is a new, revolutionary, graphically based IRC client for X
Windows and Unix users.  QtIRC has been designed over a period of many
months, and has maintained a rather large following over its development
period.

As this program is still a beta, I ask if you download the source, that
you give a bug report, or at least an opinion as to how the interface or
parts of the program may be changed.

Requirements:

QtIRC requires Qt 1.2 and LibKDE 0.8 to compile.
Qt 1.2 is available at http://www.troll.no/
LibKDE 0.8 is available at http://www.kde.org/

Features include (newest listed first):

        - KDE library requirement
        - HTML Widget-based browser object (for imbedded HTML in chat, and
          aiding in Boldface, underline, and italics.)
        - DCC Get implemented with progress meter and a number of extras
        - The only multi-protocol Chat client
        - Load/save configuration file on the fly
        - Calls on KDEHELP for help if required (KDE-Aware application)
        - Supports a large list of multiple chat protocols, and group lists
with              easy manipulation
        - IRC Operator command listing and menu (only client that does this!)
        - Content-sensitive popup menus in nickname list, input entry area,
and               main chat area
        - Chat Channel logging
        - Help on the fly through Netscape, or KDEHELP
        - Dynamic window resizing with minimum/maximum sizing
        - Query windows with menubar access to convert query to DCC Chat or
send              files
        - Ignore support of nicknames
        - DALnet support of mode chars (g, y, and c are parsed)
        - Notify support
        - DCC GET support with multiple windows, slider-track and progress
meter
        - Support for multiple architectures
        - QtIRC now requires the KDE Support library to compile
        - HTML Widget used for browsing and chatting (lets you type in HTML on
the               fly - believe it!)
        - DCC Progress meter now shows bytes/sec if it ever drops below 1K/s
        - Conversion program provided to change mIRC .ini files to QtIRC
format            files
        - Configuration script included to auto-configure your system's
architecture for makefile
        - Multiple server supportOptions to be made available in Beta 3:

New features for QtIRC 0.20 Beta 3 (next release) will include:

        - Implementation of the following commands:
          Whois, Whowas, Links, Ping, Onotice, Snotice
        - Implement HELP pages to be viewed from Netscape or other browsers
        - Add global configuration dialog (with tabs) for easy configuration
        - Bug fixes

Anyone wishing to join the project should contact me at

progress should see http://www.bitgate.com/qtirc/.

If you report bugs, please report them with as much detail as possible.

Thank you for your time!

- -- Ken Hollis
- -- http://www.bitgate.com/

- --

1. Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

Hello.

I replaced my old Netgear RT311 router last night with an old Linksys
BEFSX41 (latest firmware v1.52.15). However, I am having problems
keeping my IRC programs staying connected. After about every five
minutes, they get disconnected.

The router's firewall log had these lines:
2008-10-18 22:17:12 1586/TCP from [deleted IRC's IP address]:6667 to
192.168.0.22:1586 Invalid TCP packet received, dropping packet
Note: Changed 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.0.xxx so I didn't have to
reconfigure the computers' IP addresses after swapping from an old
Netgear RT311 router.

 From what I can see online with Google searches, this is a known issue
since people seems to have this problem and no solution/fixes (even
after five years or so? Wow!).

I did notice a pattern. It seems like text based IRC clients (e.g.,
BitchX) and IRC bots (info and chat types) get disconnected after about
five minutes. With GUI clients (SeaMonkey, and Trillian Basic), I don't
get disconnected.

What's up with that and is there a way to fix this since I prefer text
based clients? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
--Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)

  | |o   o| |        Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net

2. smbfs & Linux 1.1.46

3. looking for GUI IRC client

4. Linux with 4 gb memory

5. GUI FTP and/or IRC client

6. ufsdump mounted partitions

7. X-Based IRC Client

8. setenv from a c program

9. suggestions for text-based newsreader and irc client

10. xIrc, X-Windows based Irc Client

11. Good GUI-based fax client?

12. Survey - GUI based admin. vs. text based admin

13. New file utility: chd -- char/hex dump beta 0.2