archie-1.4.1 binary uploaded

Post by Ron Edg » Sun, 28 Nov 1993 00:38:24

[ Moderator's note: archie is a system for searching for files on
  ftp sites.  --liw ]

archie-1.4.1 the older brother of xarchie was uploaded to tsx.mit.edu and
sunsite.unc.edu.  This is only the binary and some help.  Here is the
README.linux from that package:

NOTE: the file name is archie-1.4.1-bin.tar.gz
if you are in a hurry you can get it from my **very small** ftp site
at stav.weizmann.ac.il (132.76.60.103) /pub/linux/archie-1.4.1-bin.tar.gz
please wait if you can and use US morning hrs. otherwise.

This small archive contains the binary for running archie-1.4.1

interface (or the lack of one..)  don't have X, or hate xarchie.

The archie client was compiled under Linux 0.99pl13 and libc.so.4.4.4
with  "archie.sura.net" as default server, however you can use the -h
flag to use other hosts (RTFineM.. :)

If want a new default host or have problems you will have to compile
it yourself, and it's as easy as typing "make".

README - original distribution readme.
README.linux- this file.
archie.1 - compiled man page (put in /usr/man/cat1/).
archie - the binary.
archie.el - emacs front-end.

thanks

1. patched archie-1.4.1p binary uploaded to sunsite

[archie: a system that will let you check a database for available FTP
sites around the world for specific files.]

I am sorry to update so soon but I have been informed that a patch for
archie 1.4.1 which I was unaware of at the time is needed in order to
"talk" to the version 3 archie servers.  Although the former might do
the job for you, you are encouraged to upgrade since it might cause load
on the server, and hence being the good computer citizen you are, you
should care.

the new release is called archie-1.4.1p-bin.tar.gz and will probably
reside in /pub/Linux/system/Network/info-systems/ on sunsite.
(old version sould be discarded).
Here is the README.linux from the new distribution:

UPDATE:
This is the patched archie-1.4.1p client which can talk to Archie 3
servers without supposedly "timing out".
Sorry to update so soon but I was unaware of the patch at the time,
to make it up I include two binaries, one has the default host
"archie.sura.net" in USA (MD), and the other "archie.doc.ic.ac.uk"
in China urge, UK.  Choose the one closer to you and discard the
other.

This small archive contains the binary for running archie-1.4.1p

interface (or the lack of one..)  don't have X, or hate xarchie.

The archie client was compiled under Linux 0.99pl13 and libc.so.4.4.4
with  "archie.sura.net" as default server, however you can use the -h
flag to use other hosts (RTFineM.. :)

If want a new default host or have problems you will have to compile
it yourself, and it's as easy as typing "make".

README - original distribution readme.
README.linux- this file.
archie.1.Z - compressed & compiled man page (put in /usr/man/cat1/).
archie.uk - the binary for European users.
archie.sura - the binary for US users.
archie.el - emacs front-end.

thanks

2. dm: bug in error path for unknown target type

3. 4.1 4.1 4.1 HELP!

4. Help! where to find XDR package ..

5. new pmud-0.4.1 rpms uploaded

6. slow linking w/Linux 2.0.0

7. Netscape Enterprise Server 4.1 (iPlanet) with external servlet engine (Tomcat) /File upload

8. gnome print error after apt-get upgrade

9. archie: archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

10. SunOS 4.1.X NIS+ binary problems

11. SunOS 4.1.x crypt binary needed.

12. How to disassemble an AIX 4.1 binary